Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romeoss)
    I sincerely hope you are joking. :eek: The TSA takes place worldwide this year on the 5th of November, which is tomorrow. You need to have registered for it in advance. In fact, the scores from the TSA itself are a huge determining factor in whether or not you will get an interview call.
    WHAT??? I just thought we need to go to the exam centre with our UCAS personal ID... Nobody told me I needed to register, are you sure about this?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone help with 2010 paper? Questions: 10, 19, 21, 24

ReputationRep:
    I sincerely hope you are joking. :eek: The TSA takes place worldwide this year on the 5th of November, which is tomorrow. You need to have registered for it in advance. In fact, the scores from the TSA itself are a huge determining factor in whether or not you will get an interview call.
    Damn, thats a pity, means I wont get into Oxford then, just wasted a UCAS choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Askaud)
    I found 2013 harder, particularly the first 20/25 like you. I got my worst raw score on it but it was still 43. But don't worry that you found it harder because it seems that people that sat it last year found it harder. Looking at the explanation of results from last year the most common raw mark was 27 but normally it's around around 31-33. Also last year there was a lower percentage getting the higher marks. The top mark achieved was 47 and the next highest was 44. The score conversions were also a bit higher.

ps thats my interpretation of the graphs showing results explanation. I might be wrong, feel free to correct me anyone
    That sounds good analysis. The issue is because I barely did the first 25 in 45 minutes (and skipped some to make sure i met the time target) and assumed I'd completely run out of time leading to worsened quality of answers (I find it hard to think when i think im running out of time and tend to skip questions). In actual fact, had I remained calmed and persevered, maybe the longer time spent on earlier questions is made up for by some quicker questions in the 30-40 region? Would you agree?

Just trying to work out what to do in the event that 1-25 takes slightly longer than expected, do I skip answerable questions so I do 1-25 in at most half the time, or do I stay and answer even if that means spending a couple of extra minutes on the first half (given a few in the last 10 I might end up skipping anyway but they'd be harder and use more time up).

Sorry if I make no sense, im a little panicky!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PolarBearSlayer)
    That sounds good analysis. The issue is because I barely did the first 25 in 45 minutes (and skipped some to make sure i met the time target) and assumed I'd completely run out of time leading to worsened quality of answers (I find it hard to think when i think im running out of time and tend to skip questions). In actual fact, had I remained calmed and persevered, maybe the longer time spent on earlier questions is made up for by some quicker questions in the 30-40 region? Would you agree?

Just trying to work out what to do in the event that 1-25 takes slightly longer than expected, do I skip answerable questions so I do 1-25 in at most half the time, or do I stay and answer even if that means spending a couple of extra minutes on the first half (given a few in the last 10 I might end up skipping anyway but they'd be harder and use more time up).

Sorry if I make no sense, im a little panicky!
    Well the first and key thing is, don't panic. Personally I'd advise you to just keep working through the questions and try not to worry about the time too much, especially if it affects your thinking and ability to answer the questions. As you say, you might make time up on other questions and the worry about time was needless but costly

If you find yourself struggling or taking a while on any question and not really getting somewhere, then leave it. You don't want to get to the end of the time having not attempted questions at the end which you may be able to do and guarantee yourself some marks. Then go back and attempt it again or if you're really short of time, just put a wild guess, you still have at least a 20% chance, but I'm sure you'll be able to rule out some options so it will be better chance. But just don't end up guessing questions that you could have got right because you wasted time elsewhere.

If you feel you can get the answer in a suitable amount of time then do it but also remember that moving on and coming back can help you to spot the answer. I feel looking at the same question for too long can confuse me and cloud my thinking but when I go back to it, it becomes more obvious.

At the end of the day, whatever will be will be. Panicking and worrying won't help. You've just got to try and do your best and I'm sure it will all work out. Timing might just be perfect on the day and remember that as long as you put an answer for everything, you can still get 50/50.

ReputationRep:
    What marks/converted marks do we generally need to get an interview?

Any tips for the essay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaT)

Any tips for the essay?
    Depends, which course have you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    Depends, which course have you applied for?
    PPE.

ReputationRep:
    Well the first and key thing is, don't panic. Personally I'd advise you to just keep working through the questions and try not to worry about the time too much, especially if it affects your thinking and ability to answer the questions. As you say, you might make time up on other questions and the worry about time was needless but costly

If you find yourself struggling or taking a while on any question and not really getting somewhere, then leave it. You don't want to get to the end of the time having not attempted questions at the end which you may be able to do and guarantee yourself some marks. Then go back and attempt it again or if you're really short of time, just put a wild guess, you still have at least a 20% chance, but I'm sure you'll be able to rule out some options so it will be better chance. But just don't end up guessing questions that you could have got right because you wasted time elsewhere.

If you feel you can get the answer in a suitable amount of time then do it but also remember that moving on and coming back can help you to spot the answer. I feel looking at the same question for too long can confuse me and cloud my thinking but when I go back to it, it becomes more obvious.

At the end of the day, whatever will be will be. Panicking and worrying won't help. You've just got to try and do your best and I'm sure it will all work out. Timing might just be perfect on the day and remember that as long as you put an answer for everything, you can still get 50/50.
    Thanks a lot, very sound advice again. Good luck tomorrow.

I'm going to relax I think until bed.

In the morning will do a couple of problem solving questions just to get my mind in gear, then see what happens.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    PPE.
    Well PPE and E&M tend to need a higher score. Merton published that for 2012-2013 admissions cycle, 46% got an interview and 43% got over 61 converted score. To be sure of an interview you're looking at around 65 converted score and 70+ will really strengthen an application

ReputationRep:
    Re: question 28:

28 The so-called 'baby-boomer' generation (people born in Britain in the late 1940's /early
    1950's) will enjoy a good chance of reaching a ripe old-age. They benefited from a diet
    that was austere but healthy when they were children and this has influenced their adult
    tastes. In addition, people in this age group have given up unhealthy activities such as
    smoking cigarettes. In contrast, the generation represented by those currently in their 20's
    and early 30's are in danger of experiencing serious health problems which would
    decrease their life expectancy. This is the 'Big Mac' generation whose childhood diet was
    high in fat and sugar, which they continue to crave. They also show worrying tendencies
    to indulge in 'binge drinking' and other health-threatening activities.
    Which of the following is a conclusion that can be drawn from the above passage?
    A Health is largely determined by factors which the individual can control.
    B Health education is becoming less effective in controlling behaviour.
    C The trend towards ever-increasing life expectancy will be reversed.
    D The 'Big Mac' generation would be wise to change their lifestyle.
    E The health service will be put under greater strain in the future.

Don't know about the rest, but I can certainly help you out with the first two questions. The key here is to remember that there are twokinds of questions pertaining to arguments-identifying conclusions and drawing conclusions. In the first kind, you will be asked to provide the main conclusion of the argument i.e. the key thing that the author is trying to persuade you of. In the second kind, you will be required to insert each of the options into the original argument and consider whether or not it is a reliable inference to make. It doesn't have to be the primary conclusion per se, it just has to reliably fit in with the information presented. Far-fetched inferences are usually incorrect answers. With that in mind, therefore,

The same logic should be followed for question no. 28. As you yourself have said, D was stated clearly in the facts. Therefore, this is a reliable inference/conclusion to draw. It doesn't have to be the main point that the argument was leading at. Keep in mind that such questions do not always state the main conclusion and try to leadyou to make inferences on your own. All those inferences will be posed as incorrect answers in the TSA.
    I disagree that D was stated clearly in the facts (I did not mean to imply this- I meant something else). I agree that yes, D is a reliable conclusion to draw from the passage. However, I believe that C presents a far more relevant conclusion. The passage refers several times to life expectancy and how the trend toward life expectancy will no longer continue to increase but rather decrease as a result of the Big Mac generation actions. I believe the passage best supports a conclusion refering to this (C). The passage is very objective rather than subjective, merely explaining the situation and presenting the case - for this reason I believe D not to be the best conclusion as D is more of a subjective conclusion and does not fit with such an objective argument.

Further clarification on the correct answer being D would be highly appreciated. I thank you greatly for your help - I am just particularly confused. Does what I have just explained make sense to you in my reasoning for selecting C?

Kind Regards

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    Anybody got any last minute tips on what E&M tutors are after in the essays ? Relative comfortably with part one especially with the calculation questions but the essay could be my undoing.. Any help much appreciated !

ReputationRep:

Any tips for the essay?
    same question, but for geography?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Can anyone please provide a brief essay plan structure for the paragraphs tomorrow for section 2. As in what to include in intro and conclusion. and how many points we should have to support our view or when offering the opposing view.

Many thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morrison_rwf)
    Hi there,
    Anybody got any last minute tips on what E&M tutors are after in the essays ? Relative comfortably with part one especially with the calculation questions but the essay could be my undoing.. Any help much appreciated !
    (Original post by georgie_23)
    same question, but for geography?
    http://www.admissionstestingservice....commentary.pdf

That's as much as can be said really. Different subjects don't really look for differernt things. They just want a coherent, concise essay that is written well, that clearly states your point of view with arguments to back that up. Don't sit on the fence or switch stance

ReputationRep:
    http://www.admissionstestingservice....commentary.pdf

That's as much as can be said really. Different subjects don't really look for differernt things. They just want a coherent, concise essay that is written well, that clearly states your point of view with arguments to back that up. Don't sit on the fence or switch stance
    Thanks ! Just really nervous at this stage as I want to get an interview at least !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morrison_rwf)
    Thanks ! Just really nervous at this stage as I want to get an interview at least !
    I think we're all like that, it's natural. The multiple choice part plays a bigger role than the essay, as long as your essay is half decent and makes sense then it will be fine. They don't expect anything special in 30 mins, if they wanted to really analyse your essay skills then they'd ask for work to be submitted.

I don't think it would make too much difference but there might be a couple of eyebrows raised if there was an economics question and you chose not to do that question for you essay. I'm not sure if this is the case but might be worth considering.

ReputationRep:
    sorry, quoted the wrong piece previously. Does anyone know what kind of score in the TSA I would probably need to get an interview for geography? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgie_23)
    sorry, quoted the wrong piece previously. Does anyone know what kind of score in the TSA I would probably need to get an interview for geography? Thanks
    Read 2013 admissions process, its not just keble figures but university wide
    http://www.keble-oxford-geography.info/?page_id=467

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck to everyone tommorow

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.