Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K1NG93)
    No Muslim will ever be charlie.
    And yet:

http://www.ibtimes.com/moderate-musl...-paris-1775986

Perhaps they are older and wiser than some of the keyboard jihadis here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    And yet:

http://www.ibtimes.com/moderate-musl...-paris-1775986

Perhaps they are older and wiser than some of the keyboard jihadis here.
    Keyboard jihadis is a funny way of putting it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)
    The cartoon below is drawn by Charlie Hebdo, the french magazine which recently got attacked by gunmen.

It shows a muslim man using the Quran as (bullets going through it) with the caption "the Quran is **** it doesn't stop bulllets" after the Rabaa massacre in Egypt. Over 1000 Egyptians were killed by their own military whilst peacefully protesting.

This is one of the reasons I am not charlie. I do not make fun of massacres.I am above that. If someone where to make fun of holocaust victims, they would be called quite a few bad names(and rightly so). It shouldn't be any different when people make fun of other atrocities.

Just to add - I do not support the gunmen or anything of the like.

The image is in the spoiler, you may find it offensive, so I've given you the option whether you wish to view it or not.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Shame you've probably been railed on by the 'free speech' crew who think free speech = 'white people get to say what we want regardless of responsibility to not be an overly offensive racist bigot' (ignoring that even France has 'hate speech' laws making that nonsense technically illegal).

The attack in Paris was a heinous crime, but using it to rail on Muslims because of the actions of 4 people is just petty and small-minded. It's no different than being a racist **** to all white people because of the acts of a few skin-heads.

It's unfair and just not mature.

So no I'm not Charlie, I'm someone who gets that our rights come with some responsibilities. Constructive criticism of Islam is fine, hiding behind the free-speech banner to excuse being a xenophobic **** isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexa)
    So can I call your mum a fat slut in front of her face and not be smacked in the face for it?
    you can tell her that no man made law can physically stop you.

but you gonna get it after

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexa)
    So can I call your mum a fat slut in front of her face and not be smacked in the face for it?
    You could be smacked in the face for it.

You could be murdered for it

You could be raped for it.

Who knows? It depends on the mind of the perpetrator of the crime.

In this case, 2 nut-cases entered a building and executed some cartoonists and a policeman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
    Shame you've probably been railed on by the 'free speech' crew who think free speech = 'white people get to say what we want regardless of responsibility to not be an overly offensive racist bigot' (ignoring that even France has 'hate speech' laws making that nonsense technically illegal).

The attack in Paris was a heinous crime, but using it to rail on Muslims because of the actions of 4 people is just petty and small-minded. It's no different than being a racist **** to all white people because of the acts of a few skin-heads.

It's unfair and just not mature.

So no I'm not Charlie, I'm someone who gets that our rights come with some responsibilities. Constructive criticism of Islam is fine, hiding behind the free-speech banner to excuse being a xenophobic **** isn't.
    The point is precisely that nobody should need an 'excuse' to present their xenophobic views. And critics don't need an excuse to call them out on their ****.

As soon as you open the door to prohibition of 'offense', you've immediately ****ed yourself over since literally anything can be 'offensive'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocahontas lol)
    only an atheist or someone being vulgar for argument's sake would call religious standards and principles offensive.
    wrong

certain religious standards and principles are deeply offensive and even murderous

without even mentioning Islam, just think e.g. of the People's Temple (Jim Jones) or of Aum Shinrikyo
    (Original post by pocahontas lol)
    Don't even START sensationalizing about gays with me!!
    yes, Islam is deeply offensive towards gays. There is no way around that.

Live with it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.