The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Kings College London Nursing Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by olgieslaweczka
I'm also doing PGDip Mental Health Nursing. See you on the 14th September!

Hi! Is that the week we enrol? See you!
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by Janetiuk
I can't wait to get a timetable and to know what we're doing and to meet people! Will you be working part time?

I intend to work part time Janet. Will you?
Original post by Janetiuk
I can't wait to get a timetable and to know what we're doing and to meet people! Will you be working part time?

Won't be working at first, will see how I get on / how tired I am! Can't wait to meet everyone in September. Fingers crossed we get some information soon! :smile:
Original post by jennall
Hi! Is that the week we enrol? See you!

In one of the DBS emails it said our enrolment day is the 14th :smile:
Original post by Ugomma
I intend to work part time Janet. Will you?

Yes I will! Nice to know I won't be the only one. Hopefully we can find a balance.

Original post by lydiajacko
Won't be working at first, will see how I get on / how tired I am! Can't wait to meet everyone in September. Fingers crossed we get some information soon!

I know! Hopefully we should all get something by Monday! Really excited about meeting everyone and getting started to be honest.
Original post by Stellzz
I'm game for that.

Heya!

Just been lurking on this thread.

Starting MH nursing in Sept. Dunno if I'm allowed to post links but there's this?

https://www.facebook.com/events/861157413933376/

See you all in Sept!!

x
Hi Ugomma,
It's been a while and i hope you are ok. I also intend to work part time when we start but i haven't a clue about how to start that. Are you going to be doing care work or just any work in general or you've got something specific in mind?
To those wanting to do part time work, it's difficult but definitely doable. You can join up to do bank HCA work which is quite well paid, but it's usually after you've done your first 2 placements and depends on the bank system of your placement trust. Although quite a few people do bar work or union work, but I'm not sure how regular that is.
[QUOTE="Janetiuk;58720243"]Yes I will! Nice to know I won't be the only one. Hopefully we can find a balance.

Original post by akosuamansa
Hi Ugomma,
It's been a while and i hope you are ok. I also intend to work part time when we start but i haven't a clue about how to start that. Are you going to be doing care work or just any work in general or you've got something specific in mind?

Hi Janet and Akosua,

I got into healthcare many years ago because I couldn't continue working while I pursued my first masters and I found agency HCA work very flexible. Although it helped that I had a husband at the time but I also had a 1 year old daughter. I couldn't bear the thought of not making my own money. Over the years I have come back to healthcare now and again when I needed flexibility in my life that I now chose to change careers and become a nurse rather than dabbling in and out of the profession. As a student-parent, I know it will be hard to manage but I keep saying to myself, if I could do it before, I can do it again. The other part of me is saying "you are a little bit mad woman!" but I love challenges and this can be done.

I know there will be many of us working while studying.

P.s - Akosua, I'm well thank you. Was away this week but I lurked on the thread and read up on posts when I could manage a peek at my phone. Back today and ready to watch the post everyday, waiting for something from the postman from Kings.
I know it's not going to be easy combining work and studies. I just need to find something before we start because i'm not getting any bursary apart from the £1000 non means tested grant.I have a toddler and because of that i couldn't work for a couple of years prior to me gaining admission to kings, otherwise i read up on this forum that you can get some sort of paid work in the hospital as a HCA. Hope this works out.
Original post by akosuamansa
I know it's not going to be easy combining work and studies. I just need to find something before we start because i'm not getting any bursary apart from the £1000 non means tested grant.I have a toddler and because of that i couldn't work for a couple of years prior to me gaining admission to kings, otherwise i read up on this forum that you can get some sort of paid work in the hospital as a HCA. Hope this works out.

Yes you can get some work as a HCA. You can register with some healthcare agencies or the easiest way is to join a Trust in house nurse bank or as a friend of mine did in her time, she joined the bank of the hospital she was assigned to on placement so when she wasn't doing her placement, she was working for her money. It will all work out in the end.
Thanks very much for all the support. i'll leave you now to rest. chat soon and good night
Goodnight, x.
Is anyone going to get the freshers wristband? I dont know if its worth it
This is the part where i ask you what we are supposed to use the wristband for 😆?
Entry to clubs and events. I prefer the generic london student ones- a different event for every day of freshers week.
It wont let me paste the url but google "f*ck me it's freshers" . Looks brilliant, theres a circus eve, rave, white party etc x
I bough ta wristband for the f*ck me it's freshers week rather than the KCL wristbands which only have two events in freshers week :smile:
Ah right. I've googled it. Think I'll pass, dont think I will have the time. It does sound like fun and no I don't mean the KCL fresher's week.
Hi all, has anyone received information concerning placement allocations?
Is anyone having trouble submitting the survey? I've clicked Done and there's just a blank page :/
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest