The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Onion Ring
Can anyone tell me some topics that I should definitely know apart from daycare and the msm?

I have no knowledge of anything for psychology and I'm not even very familiar with the paper (which is all my fault I know) so any help would be really appreciated!

working memory check, eye witness testimony for age, misleading information and anxiety, research methods, privation studys and insituational care, disruption of attachement, encoding capacity and duration and daycare. few more bits
anyone know about hodges and tizard and the NICHD study? my two weakest case studies....everything else is fairly easy as pie i think
Original post by Marli-Ruth
Describe two strategies for improving memory.

what would anyone put for this as i know chunking is incorrect as this is only STM?

I would put Method of Loci and Spider Diagrams/ Mind maps?

any other suggestions?

acrostic/acroynym

and method of loci simples
Original post by Onion Ring
Can anyone tell me some topics that I should definitely know apart from daycare and the msm?

I have no knowledge of anything for psychology and I'm not even very familiar with the paper (which is all my fault I know) so any help would be really appreciated!

you could try doing past past papers so you get used to it and see the general topics. I think it is too late now but nothing is impossible.
I will go thorough the specification and revise on the general and main stuff. because no one knows what is going to come up so they are no topics which you definitely have to know.
Original post by yasx_
does anyone have a model answer for a 12 mark on day care, or points for ao1 and ao2?

The NICHD study was a longitudinal study involving over 1000 children from diverse backgrounds. The parent and child were assessed at regular intervals to establish the effects of daycare. It was found that at the age of 5, children who had been in any sort of daycare were rated as more disobedient and aggressive. Also, children in full-time daycare (over 30 hours) were three times more likely to exhibit behaviour patterns such as arguing, lying and throwing tantrums than children who were looked after by their mothers at home.

The EPPE study supports this. 3000 children from the UK between the ages of 3-7 from a variety of day-care settings were compared with a group of children who were looked after at home. It was found that the longer a child had spent in day-care, the more likely they were rated as aggressive by their teachers. This was especially true for children who were in day-care where many were under the age of 2. Furthermore, the quality of day-care reduced the impact of aggression.

AO2:

Data from the NICHD showed that it may not be day-care which led to aggression. This is because 80% of children who were in part-time daycare did not have higher levels of aggression. Therefore, other factors may be responsible. Furthermore, there is a lack of causal relationship. Research into daycare only shows a correlation between daycare and aggression, it does not show that daycare has led to aggression.

*Those are two points: you can include a third point in AO2 for maximum marks

10/12 I'd say
Original post by K3lvin
Would this get me full marks?

Bowlbys theory is an evolutionary theory where his theory sugests the attachment is important for survival. infants are innately programmed to form an attachment and this is a biological process that takes place during the critical period (0-2.5 years), the role of social releasers are emphasised and the childs relationship with the pcg provides an internal working memory model which influences later relationship and the concept of monotropy suggests that there is one attachment that is more important than the rest.

You're on the right lines. I'd elaborate a little more on social releasers, for example. Remember to write about 20-25 words for each points (25 x 6 = 150). This is the recommended amount of words for 6 marks (you have 81).

For example: Bowlby views that attachment is a system that has evolved to aid the survival of individuals. According to Bowlby, children have an innate drive to become attached to a caregiver and suggests that there is a specific time period which an attachment must form - this is called the critical period and Bowlby suggests that it lasts 2 ½ years. Bowlby suggests that infants are born with certain characteristics called social releasers which elicit caregiving, these include smiling/crying, etc. Furthermore, Bowlby believed that an attachment is important for protection and thus acts as a secure base, which babies can return to when threatened or in danger. Bowlby also believed that children show bias towards one individual who responds most sensitively to their social releasers - this bias is called monotropy. Lastly, Bowlby believed that an attachment creates a model for what to expect from others - this is called the internal working model which leads to the continuity hypothesis which is the view that there is a link between the early attachment relationship and later emotional behaviour. Securely attached children are more likely to be socially and emotionally competent.
Reply 586
Is it OK to feel blank before an exam?!!
Original post by artymaniac
Can anyone explain to me a weakness of the working memory model for 4 marks..
I've written...
One weakness of the central executive is that there is little clarity for the central executive, it needs to be clearly specified rather than just controlling attention.

but I don't think this is enough for 4 marks
Thanks in advance:smile:

You could say that it does not make clear how the episodic buffer gathers information from the components.

Also, the model only looks at STM. It does not explain how information goes from STM to LTM.
http://www.superteachertools.us/jeopardyx/jeopardy-review-game.php?gamefile=727227#.VU9JQY5Viko

For anyone looking to do some last minute revision by going over stuff
The unit 1 exam is tomorrow! How is everyone feeling about it? I for one am so bloody nervous 😭
Original post by QueenSI
Is it OK to feel blank before an exam?!!

No. You're too stressed.

Do this: breath in for 4 seconds (count 4 in your head) .. hold your breath for 8 seconds (count 8 in your head) .. then release it all

Do this 2/3 times and you'll feel much more relaxed.
I've written...
One weakness of the central executive is that there is little clarity for the central executive, it needs to be clearly specified rather than just controlling attention.

low ecological validty?
low population validty?

not sure doesnt either one of those apply to WMM
Retaking this unit. Fingers crossed I can get higher than last year.

For people worried about the vast amount of case studies and researchers; you don't actually need to use that many in the exam. Last year I got a B and in the 12 mark question I used one case study... I got 9/12 in that.

Its WHAT you use, not how MUCH you use.
Original post by scrawlx101
anyone know about hodges and tizard and the NICHD study? my two weakest case studies....everything else is fairly easy as pie i think

I didn't revise NICHD but I know hodges and tizard.
They did a study on institutionalization on children who didn't form any attachment because the nurses were told to not, because they may live.they were 65 children at the age of 4 years. 25 of them were adopted, 15 restored to parents and the rest stayed in institution. all the groups were compared to a control group.
Data was collected at the age of 4, 8 and 16 using self-report techniques.
Th findings were that at the age of 4 none of the children formed an attachment, at 8 years and 16 the children who were adopted formed an attachment to their adoptive parents as strong as children who were not adopted, while those restored formed poorer attachments. both groups of children had difficulty in school and in forming relationships.
Instead most of the group of children who stayed in institution at 4 and a half yeas were described as not caring deeply anyone and seeked a lot attention.
so they concluded that the effect of privation is reversible as some extent and some effects are long lasting(e.g difficulty in school)
Also lack of early close relationship with one particular person can contribute to later social and emotional problem
Original post by Romanoff
You're on the right lines. I'd elaborate a little more on social releasers, for example. Remember to write about 20-25 words for each points (25 x 6 = 150). This is the recommended amount of words for 6 marks (you have 81).

For example: Bowlby views that attachment is a system that has evolved to aid the survival of individuals. According to Bowlby, children have an innate drive to become attached to a caregiver and suggests that there is a specific time period which an attachment must form - this is called the critical period and Bowlby suggests that it lasts 2 ½ years. Bowlby suggests that infants are born with certain characteristics called social releasers which elicit caregiving, these include smiling/crying, etc. Furthermore, Bowlby believed that an attachment is important for protection and thus acts as a secure base, which babies can return to when threatened or in danger. Bowlby also believed that children show bias towards one individual who responds most sensitively to their social releasers - this bias is called monotropy. Lastly, Bowlby believed that an attachment creates a model for what to expect from others - this is called the internal working model which leads to the continuity hypothesis which is the view that there is a link between the early attachment relationship and later emotional behaviour. Securely attached children are more likely to be socially and emotionally competent.

Surely you don't have to write this much? Even the model answer book hasn't wrote this much that the teacher gave us..
Original post by safiyyah98
The unit 1 exam is tomorrow! How is everyone feeling about it? I for one am so bloody nervous 😭

I am not nervous now but I think I will be tomorrow and forget stuff:biggrin:
Is one study for disruption of attachment enough for 12 marker? i.e. the PDD model by Robertson&Bowlby? If i elaborate fully because they study is quite long?
Original post by Eleonore
I am not nervous now but I think I will be tomorrow and forget stuff:biggrin:

Lol same I think we need to relax and just keep going over the stuff....but the more I think about it the more nervous I get then the more I forget! Exam season came too quickly 😩
Reply 598
Does anyone know how to explain acronyms/acrostics like a question could come up on explaining them?? Thanks
I've written...

just concentrates on short term memory and little about long term memory
if you want to include research you can say that they used case studies and give the limitations of case studies (e.g use of retrospective data so.....)
studies lack ecological validity

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending