Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kelly#nikki)
    I did it as well, I felt good about it. How did yours go?
    it was ok haha, don't think I had enough own knowledge tho
    what points did u make?

ReputationRep:
    In question b (India, effectiveness of Gandhi's campaigns) I talked about how the sources supported my own knowledge instead of using my own knowledge to support the sources. I didn't really give wether they agree or disagree with the statement and instead used them to supplement my own view on Gandhi's effectiveness. Would I lose marks for this???? :s

Anyone else do India?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhys241196)
    In question b (India, effectiveness of Gandhi's campaigns) I talked about how the sources supported my own knowledge instead of using my own knowledge to support the sources. I didn't really give wether they agree or disagree with the statement and instead used them to supplement my own view on Gandhi's effectiveness. Would I lose marks for this???? :s
    Hey, today my teacher told us that you can support the knowledge either way - and i've read that you can include other own knowledge that isn't supported by the sources if you want. I did India aswell, but answered the other question. How did yours go? I thought mine went really bad.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right sorry i didnt see your latest comments so i basically broke it down into points for an against

FOR
    1) Made women and men more equal
    2) Benefitted Middle class women
    3)Lead to women being allowed to vote in local elections
    4) Then there was something about it increasing 'confidence' so i linked that to how they used this to campaign for other things like the franchise

AGAINST
    1)Didnt benefit some women like the working class and most women didnt work or earnt very little
    2)The 1870 act was incompetent and the time lag of 10 years was ridiculous
    3) Still not allowed to vote in national elections till 1918

concluded by saying there was significant de facto change but no de jure change

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Praveen101)
    Same, i found it quite direct the question, what points did you write about?
    I wrote a brief overview a few posts back, top of page 29 I think. Was your overall argument similar?

edit: near the top of page 29, few posts down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJC1997)
    don't worry, sounds like you did well tbh yeah biology for me tomorrow, yay!
    Good luck for biology tomorrow! I'm sure you will do great too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JBrns97)
    Likewise, did you do Stalin and Civil rights for the other exam?
    to be honest I mean we both put in own knowledge and used the sources and concluded so it should be enough for a B

and i did stalin but not civil rights

ReputationRep:
    I wrote a brief overview a few posts back, top of page 29 I think. Was your overall argument similar?

edit: near the top of page 29, few posts down
    Oh right sorry i didnt see your latest comments so i basically broke it down into points for an against

FOR
    4) Then there was something about it increasing 'confidence' so i linked that to how they used this to campaign for other things like the franchise

AGAINST
    1)Didnt benefit some women like the working class and most women didnt work or earnt very little

concluded by saying there was significant de jure change but no de facto change

To the earlier girls point about Mr Mills, thats really a cause for the act coming into effect, they werent really looking at the causes but rather its effects with emphasis on rights such as property rights, voting rights

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j5994)
    it was ok haha, don't think I had enough own knowledge tho
    what points did u make?
    I did a paragraph each on the liberal party/David Llyod George, imperial responsibility and I did a contrasting point on the effects of the war (mostly economical pressures) on the working class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gunnarsunn)
    Who else did the the second B question (2bii) for the Changing Role of Women's paper - Regarding public life and their political role?
    I did - loved the question; how did you find it?
    The only problems was that the majority of the material you could have used to develop your points was given in the sources - I only made reference to the Education Acts, 1894 Government Act, the Women's Liberal Association and Poor Law Administration in terms of information that wasn't given. Think I may have incorporated the sources more than was necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jemmabb)
    Did anyone do the ww1 question on tactics? My friend did it and wants to know what others put

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I argued they weren't successful. Used the examples of the Battle of the Somme and Passchendaele to show creeping barrage wasn't very precise and the British weren't making very much progress.
    and also the new weapons, such as the Lee Enfield Rifle and the Vickers machine gun ought to make the British more efficient, but didn't necessarily.

On the other side, the success at Amiens when the German forces became stretched and the fact that the British were gradually wearing German forces down in the 'war of attrition'.

Success in terms of eventual victory but not a success in terms of cost and loss of life.

Also talked about Sassoon (Source 7) being anti-war, so likely to be biased in his reporting of experiences.

ReputationRep:
    I did the question on British Strategy in WW1, it was alright really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Henzo)
    Hey, today my teacher told us that you can support the knowledge either way - and i've read that you can include other own knowledge that isn't supported by the sources if you want. I did India aswell, but answered the other question. How did yours go? I thought mine went really bad.
    Not very well unfortunately. I think I've completely messed up my structure in question b. I didn't talk about which sources were for or against whether Gandhi's campaigns were effective. All I talked about was examples of his campaigns (salt march, non-cooperation etc...) and then imbedded quotes from the sources at random without talking about the sources judgement of the question. I think I'm not going to get many marks for my AO2 if any at all. Also my conclusion was about my judgement on whether Gandhi's campaign was effected and not which sources fundamentally agreed or disagreed. Hopefully I'll get most of the 24 marks for own knowledge.

Apparently your supposed to do 50% source and 50% knowledge. I think I've done about 15% source and the rest own knowledge. Hopefully my question a will pull my mark up. What did you struggle with?

ReputationRep:
    Incorporation of sources just require - Women's role in public life didn't support their political role. For example Source 11 shows that" blah blah blah". Then you explain it and add own knowledge which s similar to the question. I like to make it clear that I'm including an example so I say 'For example' nearly always, if not always.

The sources were so generous in giving the information! Someone with no knowledge could have simply added them in. I mentioned the 1870 Act (The 1902 Act is too limited). I mentioned the Liberal Federation an primrose League and also the Acts for 1894 and 1869. I used the Poor Law Guardians in my counter argument which is showed that their work at public levels and the roles they fulfilled extended their altruistic, motherly and tender role, therefore they were limited in terms of their political role. I also spoke about the principles of Separate Spheres and the Angel in the House they were relevant to the material provided in the source.

I'm happy but I hope my examiner can read my handwriting! Those timings are tough!

ReputationRep:

FOR

AGAINST

concluded by saying there was significant de jure change but no de facto change

To the earlier girls point about Mr Mills, thats really a cause for the act coming into effect, they werent really looking at the causes but rather its effects with emphasis on rights such as property rights, voting rights
    yeah I made all those points too, I see you used the same revision guide as me too? De jure and de facto haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Susan______1)
    I did - loved the question; how did you find it?
    The only problems was that the majority of the material you could have used to develop your points was given in the sources - I only made reference to the Education Acts, 1894 Government Act, the Women's Liberal Association and Poor Law Administration in terms of information that wasn't given. Think I may have incorporated the sources more than was necessary.
    Oh and also there were some stats I picked up on - Between 1882 and 1885 128 women were elected onto school boards such as Margaret Macmillan who introduced baths in schools in Bradford. In 1900, women made up 14% of the electorate at local elections showing they were competent enough to extend their political role to a broader extent.

The first source mentioned County Councils - I spoke about Eleanor Rathbone who represented Liverpool County Council and helped developed proper housing for the poor and also Susan Lawrence for Manchester County Council who supported the rights of female cleaners.

ReputationRep:
    yeah I made all those points too, I see you used the same revision guide as me too? De jure and de facto haha
    that book is amazing man there was no way id be able to have studied that red edexcel one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Henzo)
    What factors did you do for question bii? i did that also!

ReputationRep:
    that book is amazing man there was no way id be able to have studied that red edexcel one
    Haha ikr, I read it like 3 times, it was perfect for the married womens property act questions tbh, wasn't there even a sample 40 mark question involving them in there? Also I said it's effects were mostly materialistic rather than true physical advances in womens rights, that's kind of similar right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhys241196)
    What did you struggle with?
    Structure mostly... I had thought that I was okay on structure for the b question going into the exam but I got a bit relaxed obviously and it didn't pay off...

I didn't cross reference all the sources on the a question - I cross referenced two twice, so my sources 11 and 12 weren't cross referenced at all, will that lower my marks?

What did you study for unit 1? I'm hoping my unit 1 will pull my grade up, I'm hoping for at least a B.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.