Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrimeLime)
    I'll just give you the same advice I gave to a couple of people about poetry - I think I should start charging for this advice XD!
    For poetry, I started with a small introduction, then I (sort of) tracked through the text logically, considering what the poem is about, ideas that the write may have wanted us to think about (so themes, basically), choices of vocabulary and techniques such as imagery and enjambment (fancy), structure and importantly, your personal response to the poem. The 'personal response' doesn't have to be a separate section, though. It just needs to be evident throughout your essay that you are personally and uniquely responding and reacting to the text.

I would just stick to, and practise, the technique that your teacher teaches you for poetry analysis. Make sure you're really insightful and original. Examiners LOVE originality in poetry analysis. Additional, 5% of marks in Lit. are allocated to SPAG. So there's another benefit of getting your SPAG good. (Just in case you didn't know, SPAG = Spelling, Punctuation And Grammar .)

As for number of quotes, NOPE!
    I absolutely wrung out about 3 (maybe 4) quotes in the 20 mark essay. 3. And I spent a whole paragraph giving an 'insightful' discussion about Curley and his wife's names. I did about 4 paragraphs, and I don't think I lost a mark on that essay. So it's all about how good your analysis is. If you can draw it out, draw it out (not 'draw' as in draw a picture by the way LOL). There you go, that's proof that you don't need to learn even 10 quotes for every character and theme. Just think about what you'd say about them instead.
    Thanks for the advice, although I didn't read those so it's a little late for me now! But obviously thanks none the less.
    So you got such high marks with barely any quotes? That's amazing! We've always been drilled into learning these quotes for all of the piece of literature. Oh well, at least now I know for Friday. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ludo4)
    No problem. An Inspector Calls and Heroes, what are you doing?
    Same as you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by franm1)
    and me! i'll be ok wtih a b but chuffed with an a! im doing AIC and heroes,what about you?
    Same and same

ReputationRep:
    How did you guys find the first paper? I thought the essay question on harshness was really good, extract was ok and poetry was kinda crap, relying on friday's exam for my grade now

ReputationRep:
    So glad other people wrote about drugs and prostitution tbh I thought I'd done it completely wrong!!

Also is anyone doing Blood Brothers and LOTF on Friday??

What kind of questions do they ask for paper 2, is it the same set up as OMAM with an extract and character question?? I've never done a on paper 2 so no clue what to expect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yas458)
    So glad other people wrote about drugs and prostitution tbh I thought I'd done it completely wrong!!

Also is anyone doing Blood Brothers and LOTF on Friday??

What kind of questions do they ask for paper 2, is it the same set up as OMAM with an extract and character question?? I've never done a on paper 2 so no clue what to expect
    Doing LOTF and AVFTB

Paper 2 is the exact same for paper 1 except you get an extract & essay for one & an extract & an essay for the other Exact same layout

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcticNeighbour)
    Tell me about it, although I still have my doubts on that interpretation
    same here, oh well I guess I can't change it now. It's kind of motivated me to read more poetry in preparation for A-Level lit though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electrahearts)
    same here, oh well I guess I can't change it now. It's kind of motivated me to read more poetry in preparation for A-Level lit though
    Ah yes, good luck with that venture. The thing is, I'm usually pretty good and analysis and dealing with poetry (not boasting here), for my mocks I got 18/20 for the poem but after todays, I highly doubt getting anything above 11 or 12. I just pray for a lovely examiner.

ReputationRep:
    Did we have to contextualise the extract question, or only for the essay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyrailly)
    Doing LOTF and AVFTB

Paper 2 is the exact same for paper 1 except you get an extract & essay for one & an extract & an essay for the other Exact same layout
    thankyou so much!! Good luck with yours!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by averageteen16)
    How did you guys find the first paper? I thought the essay question on harshness was really good, extract was ok and poetry was kinda crap, relying on friday's exam for my grade now
    Same as you. It went bad, really good, really ****ty.
    The extract was pretty ****ty, essay was good (I picked Candy), poetry was down in hell somewhere, amongst the poets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jxssamy)
    Did we have to contextualise the extract question, or only for the essay?
    I'm pretty sure that it was only for the essay

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, good luck with that venture. The thing is, I'm usually pretty good and analysis and dealing with poetry (not boasting here), for my mocks I got 18/20 for the poem but after todays, I highly doubt getting anything above 11 or 12. I just pray for a lovely examiner.
    same! we got a practice exam question, I think it was poems about the homeless/outcasts from society and I just got it and could interpret everything, but this just left me blank! Hopefully we both get a really nice examiner haha

ReputationRep:
    That's reassuring because I didn't put anything about context in the extract

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gcses2015)
    Hi guys,

You know the extract question for 'Of Mice and Men', what did you talk about? I talked about when lennie said 'I..aint...gonna say a word.'' Then I talked about where george and lennie were sleeping (the idea that they have no permanent home makes the readers feel sympathy for them) and the colours of rabbits Lennie wants (that he is mentally unstable). What ideas did you guys put down? I personally didn't like the poems. :/
    I spoke about when lennie said i aint gonna say a word, their escape plan incase of trouble, and i cant remember the last one

ReputationRep:
    Please can you msg me all your notes on themes and characters of Heroes, I will be very greatful! Firstly by giving you reps and thanking you for saving my grade!

ReputationRep:
    Same as you. It went bad, really good, really ****ty.
    The extract was pretty ****ty, essay was good (I picked Candy), poetry was down in hell somewhere, amongst the poets.
    what did you say about candy? I spoke about him being nice even though he's a physical wreck, how hes so low on the hierarchy as eve curleys wife insults him, how hes prepared to offer everything for the dream, how bitter he becomes after the dream and the cycle he represents( he starts off calling curleys wife a tart and ends in the same way, suggesting lifenon the ranch is a cycle, no escape)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gcses2015)
    Hi guys,

You know the extract question for 'Of Mice and Men', what did you talk about? I talked about when lennie said 'I..aint...gonna say a word.'' Then I talked about where george and lennie were sleeping (the idea that they have no permanent home makes the readers feel sympathy for them) and the colours of rabbits Lennie wants (that he is mentally unstable). What ideas did you guys put down? I personally didn't like the poems. :/
    But that doesn't really track mood and atmosphere though, you're just presenting characters here. Maybe the readers mood, but not the book ones.

ReputationRep:
    every time i see someone say the poems were about prostitution - https://vine.co/v/e77MHBgDIbe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ludo4)
    Literally there was a good 5 minutes in my exam when nobody was writing because we were all trying to understand the poems. I finished the prose text question really late so I started to panic. I ended up discussing that the structures of the poems were different (?).
    Yeah I talked about the structure (the way one poem was split into stanzas whereas the other one wasn't). I seriously didn't know what I was talking about. This really wasn't the best paper I've done. :/ Hope the grade boundaries are low.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 5, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.