Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minecraft27)
    I ended up with 0.8-something and -3-something. I rejected -3-something and used the 0.8-something. Then I worked out time to fall 30m, which was 1.4-something. Took 0.8-something off that which gave me exactly 0.6. Though maybe if I didn't round I would have good the 0,598 that everyone else got.

Hopefully I'll still get 2 marks for getting 0.6. I dunno though, I might have got 0.6 by fluke with totally wrong method so they might not allow it at all. In which case, low B here I come!
    Maybe! Lets just try and do super well on C3 and C4 :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyPhilly)
    There was a difference. If the force was pushing, downwards then R force would be greater and if the force was pulling upwards then R would be less. Both would result in different values for a
    I suspect angle above meant pull. google "angle above horizontal"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkeasylearning)
    I think it meant pull too but I had a big surprise when I came out of that exam to find more than half my class applied the force downwards and then I thought aout it and it was pretty ambigious

ReputationRep:
    That's what I thought, although I wish we had the actual question to look at the wording properly.

ReputationRep:
    Surely the mark scheme could allow both then? You can't have students assume things like that because people's minds work in different ways. I assumed it was a pushing force

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jords13)
    Surely the mark scheme could allow both then? You can't have students assume things like that because people's minds work in different ways. I assumed it was a pushing force

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hopefully that is the case, because the question never specified whether it was a push/pull or supplied enough information to allow you to know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeBarnett)
    Hopefully that is the case, because the question never specified whether it was a push/pull or supplied enough information to allow you to know.
    My friends said that the force was applied ON to the block, which suggests pushing but then tension force can be applied on something and that's always pulling. Very ambigious and I doubt OCR will allow for both but if my class is a microcosm of the country then half of us had different answers for that question

ReputationRep:
    My friends said that the force was applied ON to the block, which suggests pushing but then tension force can be applied on something and that's always pulling. Very ambigious and I doubt OCR will allow for both but if my class is a microcosm of the country then half of us had different answers for that question
    That was my first thought too, however a force being applied ON something can be in any direction at all, all it means is that a force is being applied through the centre of mass. Like you said tension applies a force ON the block too, as does anything else like weight & contact forces.

Either way, we'll just have to see I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    For q.6 i forgot to add 2, so that affects ii and iii... how many marks will i lose?

ReputationRep:
    Guys, what do you think the grade boundaries for an A will be?

I think 56 or 57. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minecraft27)
    Guys, what do you think the grade boundaries for an A will be?

I think 56 or 57. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaymf10)
    Doubt it. It was harder than last years and I reckon many people struggled today

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Does someone have the paper?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, however remember in M1 everything is considered as a particle, therefore a pull or a push doesn't really mean much.

They may allow for some MR marks however. I did a past paper and on one question the mark scheme allowed about 60% of the marks (I would estimate) for people having read "30 degrees to the horizontal" instead of "to the vertical". This situation to me seems very similar. But there's no telling for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie1997)
    Negative acceleration means friction would otherwise create a force backwards. Since Friction only opposes motion, friction equals the force pulling to the right therefore it stays where it is and a=0

Friction can't cause it to accelerate backwards
    Ohhh my god where did my brain go this morning, that's just common sense 😭 but, will i still get method marks for working out the friction etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone show the working out for friction in the last part? Me and some friends got 0.4N, seems like some got 1.12N?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonoTaylor)
    Can anyone show the working out for friction in the last part? Me and some friends got 0.4N, seems like some got 1.12N?
    I can't tell you how i did it because i cant really remember the question and numbers used etc. but I definitely got 1.12N for the value of F

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, however remember in M1 everything is considered as a particle, therefore a pull or a push doesn't really mean much.

They may allow for some MR marks however. I did a past paper and on one question the mark scheme allowed about 60% of the marks (I would estimate) for people having read "30 degrees to the horizontal" instead of "to the vertical". This situation to me seems very similar. But there's no telling for sure.
    Push & pull do yield different final values however, so in this case it appears to matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ldench)
    I think you have done it nearly right but you have to remember that the friction will only act against the force so it cant be more than the component of 1.2N so a = 0 if that makes any sense? The other two situations only bring about an acceleration because the friction limit is less than the component of the 1.2N force
    Yeah, that makes sense thank you ☺️ It was such an easy thing to see, i don't know why i didn't think of it in the exam 😭 hopefully, for calculating the frictions correct, i will have only dropped one mark on both of them questions? 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    why did i get like some really ridiculously huge number for the distance travelled??! for the first part of A's journey, on the bicycle, i got something like 3200m!!!!! well i've completely screwed that one up! 😫

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.