Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone be able to help with this QR question please?

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 484
Size:  160.7 KBAttachment 561758561760
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AqsaMx)

you need to ignore the door at the hall

so its (3.9+3.3) x2 x2.65 = 36.57

(1.5x2)+(.6x2)+(.9/2)=6

then: 36.57-6=30.57=d

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AqsaMx)

The answer is 30.57: you need to get the area of each wall (4 walls) then subtract area of the window and the 2 doors.

(2.65*3.3*2)+(2.65*3.6*2.65)-(1.5*2)-(2*0.9)-(2*0.6)

Since it is a rectangle, we have two sets of identical walls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dakshsaksena)
    I had the exact same problem. Especially for QR. However, now im getting upper 600s with 1-2 minutes to spare (Sometimes) What helped me? Medify.

Please dont book medify later, book it now. That along with ISC is the best. MEdify gets you familiar with the online format and ISC has more comprehensive question. Since it is in September, I suggest you do QR (untimed) till 22nd-23rd ish. Keep using Medify and ISC simultaneously. After you get the hang of the questions and how they're structured, then do the time ones.
    Trust me, Medify is a godsend.
    Also, I suggest you to one practice test from the official UKCAT site. Do them untimed for now, or if you can, do the UKCATSEN timings. It will show you where you stand. And please review all mistakes properly. Like one test is 90 minutes (approx, w/out DM) so spend at least 40-50 minutes going through each mistake, with detail.

Also, use the keyboard shortcuts (alt+n etc) and type the numbers out when using the calculator. This easily saves you 3 seconds per question. Not much when you thing about it but thts like 72 seconds in the big picture (QR) which is obviously a lot.

Good luck (to all of us)

Hey thank you for replying!

Wow that's really good, I had heard Medify was a useful tool to use to improve your scores and indeed I had been thinking about buying it! I just got my 1000Q book and read the tips, now I have to start exercising but I don't know whether to do it timed or untimed (altough I'm pretty sure I'm still not used at all to the short timings).
    The only thing is that Medify costs a lot, I mean it's not much for a week or two but it is if I got it for almost 2 months, although I'm sure it'd work magic :/
    Do you think it's really that bad if I buy it one or 2 weeks before the exams? I still haven't booked it but I think it'll be around the middle or second half of September, I won't be around until the second week of September so I can't do otherwise
    I've only done the free practice QR questions on the UKCAT website and got most of them right, but I took all the time of the world haha so doesn't count...
    I'm going to try a complete UKCAT test but since it's only my first I'll do either untimed or UKCATSEN as you suggested!
    I didn't know you could type numbers so thank you for the advice! Can we do that during the actual exam as well?
    Thank you a lot, goodluck to everyone! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dakshsaksena)
    I had the exact same problem. Especially for QR. However, now im getting upper 600s with 1-2 minutes to spare (Sometimes) What helped me? Medify.

Please dont book medify later, book it now. That along with ISC is the best. MEdify gets you familiar with the online format and ISC has more comprehensive question. Since it is in September, I suggest you do QR (untimed) till 22nd-23rd ish. Keep using Medify and ISC simultaneously. After you get the hang of the questions and how they're structured, then do the time ones.
    Trust me, Medify is a godsend.
    Also, I suggest you to one practice test from the official UKCAT site. Do them untimed for now, or if you can, do the UKCATSEN timings. It will show you where you stand. And please review all mistakes properly. Like one test is 90 minutes (approx, w/out DM) so spend at least 40-50 minutes going through each mistake, with detail.

Also, use the keyboard shortcuts (alt+n etc) and type the numbers out when using the calculator. This easily saves you 3 seconds per question. Not much when you thing about it but thts like 72 seconds in the big picture (QR) which is obviously a lot.

Good luck (to all of us)
    what are the keyboard shortcuts please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stacybbb)
    You're welcome.

I got:
    VR: 570
    QR: 800
    AR: 860
    SJ: Band 1

I'm really disappointed with the VR score but I'm pleased with the other two so we shall see.

Good luck with yours!
    Wow that's amazing. What resources did you use? What did you use to revise SJT. How long did you revise for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chutiya)
    Wow that's amazing. What resources did you use? What did you use to revise SJT. How long did you revise for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you 😊
    I used Kaplan, 600Q and medify.
    I only got a band 4 in SJ last year and I think that's because I didn't fully understand what they were looking for. I recommend reading the UKCAT Official Guide 2016 so you know how to choose the best answer. Then just practice on medify and read the reasons why you get them wrong and learn from them.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=UKCATmagic;66425116]
    (Original post by thatcooldude2.0)
    I recommend if you don't have that already[/QUOTE

What are the other options ? I mean other than 1000q book and medify
    Honestly, these resources are enough. Don't waste your money on anything else. Focus on these, and you should be fine. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aurora.di.nicola)
    Hey thank you for replying!

Wow that's really good, I had heard Medify was a useful tool to use to improve your scores and indeed I had been thinking about buying it! I just got my 1000Q book and read the tips, now I have to start exercising but I don't know whether to do it timed or untimed (altough I'm pretty sure I'm still not used at all to the short timings).
    The only thing is that Medify costs a lot, I mean it's not much for a week or two but it is if I got it for almost 2 months, although I'm sure it'd work magic :/
    Do you think it's really that bad if I buy it one or 2 weeks before the exams? I still haven't booked it but I think it'll be around the middle or second half of September, I won't be around until the second week of September so I can't do otherwise
    I've only done the free practice QR questions on the UKCAT website and got most of them right, but I took all the time of the world haha so doesn't count...
    I'm going to try a complete UKCAT test but since it's only my first I'll do either untimed or UKCATSEN as you suggested!
    I didn't know you could type numbers so thank you for the advice! Can we do that during the actual exam as well?
    Thank you a lot, goodluck to everyone! :eek:
    I would suggest doing your practice untimed, initally, so that you get used to the structure and/or pattern of questions. Once you're reasonably good at it, you can attack them and time yourself. Timing yourself in the beginning will give you a lower score and thus, a false indication of them... if you get what I mean.

It doesn't matter when you choose to take your course. Just prepare to channel all your energy and focus for those 1-2 weeks, and you should be perfect. Don't lose touch though... I'd suggest doing a few questions from the ISC 1000 everyday when you're 'not around'.

Yes, you can type in numbers during the actual exam, BUT: The 'NumLock' button must be ON

P.S. The ISC book? It's probably the best book for the UKCAT, but trust me, the Quantitative Reasoning is crazy! Don't lose hope. Keep those the questions, but remember that they're designed much tougher than the actual test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LAT2491)
    So I just sat my UKCAT
    SJ, QR & VR were not too bad. AR however was a different story. I did quite well in AR on all my mocks but that today was just a bizarre set of random shapes I could make no sense of at all. So anyway these were my scores:
    VR 700
    QR 740
    AR 600 😫
    SJ Band 1

So average (I'm not sure if that's how they work out the final score??) is 680.

I was aiming for 700 as I'm applying for grad entry. So I'm not sure how much of a chance this gives me. Any ideas would be gratefully received 😓

And for DM, it makes no difference to your score, so it's up to you how you wanna spend that extra 30mins.
    Alright, I haven't done the UKCAT, nor am I an expert on Uni admissions. But, I clearly remember reading somewhere, that unis look at your overall score and not at your individual score. So, don't fret over the AR (although that's what brought your score down) SJT is a different case altogether. I don't know if this is really useful to you, but yeah, I'm just putting it out there.

Oh shoot! I just read the grad entry part. You better check if what I've stated above is true for grad students.

I'm sorry, if you gained absolutely nothing from this post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameeshh)
    Yeah I understand that, but I dont think Ill go all out bc I dont want to lose focus either. Thanks for your help!
    Yup, don't lose your train of thought and concentration. Do as well as you can and as crazy as this sounds, look at a few DM questions when you're preparing, so that you can answer at least a few questions on the test day. Why? Although it doesn't count, you'd probably lose confidence in your DM answers, if you haven't practised. And this can seriously mess up the following subtest, which if I'm not mistake, is the SJT.

Oh, and use the 1 min of instructions to breathe

P.S. What is the order of subtests?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=UKCATmagic;66425116]
    (Original post by thatcooldude2.0)
    I recommend if you don't have that already[/QUOTE

What are the other options ? I mean other than 1000q book and medify
    Well I have the 600 question book (iscmedical), the kaplan book (took the course last year) and another 600 q book (but a different one- the title is how to master the ukcat)
    Online you can get kaplan practise qs and tests (but it costs), there are free practise questions and tests on their website
    Have you done all the questions in the 1000q book, ukcat website and medify? I'm pretty sure that should be enough I didn't even finish all the medify questions last year and got 665 (think my scores for sections were smth like- 570 670 710 710) - not great but not too bad either I suppose. I'd advise finding your weakest section and working on that the most, as you can see VR brought my average down quite a bit unfortunately. When is your exam?

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome.

I got:

I'm really disappointed with the VR score but I'm pleased with the other two so we shall see.

Good luck with yours!
    Wow congrats! Don't be disappointed with VR, you have a very strong average score

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome.

I got:

Good luck with yours!
    those scores are reallly good, how hard was the maths and AR compared to rescources u use, i struggle so much with the maths, i cant even do some of them and every finds it easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairebear101)
    those scores are reallly good, how hard was the maths and AR compared to rescources u use, i struggle so much with the maths, i cant even do some of them and every finds it easy
    Thank you 😊
    I would say the practice materials are difficult enough in that they prepare you well for the real thing, so stick at it. Half the battle is remaining positive, even when you're struggling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raniafern)
    Yup, don't lose your train of thought and concentration. Do as well as you can and as crazy as this sounds, look at a few DM questions when you're preparing, so that you can answer at least a few questions on the test day. Why? Although it doesn't count, you'd probably lose confidence in your DM answers, if you haven't practised. And this can seriously mess up the following subtest, which if I'm not mistake, is the SJT.

Oh, and use the 1 min of instructions to breathe

P.S. What is the order of subtests?
    I believe it goes in the order of:

Verbal Reasoning
    Decision Making
    Quantative Reasoning
    Abstract Reasoning
    Situational Judgement Testing

ReputationRep:
    Got mine tomorrow. Will feedback early next week.

ReputationRep:
    I have my exam in two weeks time. On one the official practice exams which I recently did I got an average of 611
    Verbal:655
    Quantitative:583
    Abstract:594
    SJ: 60%
    I don't know now to improve my score as I'm not much of a mathematician :/ any tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    I believe it goes in the order of:

Verbal Reasoning
    Decision Making
    Quantative Reasoning
    Abstract Reasoning
    Situational Judgement Testing
    Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M7133)
    Got mine tomorrow. Will feedback early next week.
    Good luck! Give it your best shot!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.