Ask the TSR Government - 22nd Parliament watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    You wanted to prove me wrong in the terrible budget but the there were no Liberal policies in the budget, the Liberals had only prevented Labour implementing all of their plans. As we know, a party in a coalition that has included none of their ideas in a budget is canon fodder to a slightly larger party; the Liberals need to renegotiate their reading if Labour include no Liberal policies in the budget.

I would like you to explain why you think a pacifist who has proposed abolishing the military, and has admitted to not knowing a lot about military equipment is a good appointment to be Secretary of State for Defence when you have members in your party who support renewing Trident. The move to appoint Aph is clearly a move to appoint any active Liberal MP who wants a position because handing over another position makes the Liberals weaker, unable to fulfil their duties.
    I've already had the argument with you over the budget in the budget thread, if you care to go back and read it. I'm not going to bother having it again.

Aph is an extremely active, hardworking member of the party and that has be recognised. Though his views differ from mine slightly, the Defence SoS still needs majority Government support so the Policies are not going to change much, just the author.

ReputationRep:
    I see PetrosAC has appointed a pacifist to command the department tasked with defending Britain, running British military involvements around the world, and looking after the tools underpinning Britain's hard power. But this appointment is made in desperation, the Liberals do not have any other active members willing to take on this post, Aph is the last active member the ailing Liberals have. The alternative of losing the cabinet position to Labour does not fit in with the Liberals' desire to grab as much virtual power as the party can. Labour must be loving the appointment of an extreme-left member to the role of Secretary of State for Defence, it proves the Liberals are cannon fodder in a Labour coalition.
    I urge the rt.hon member to look at my SoI, not only does the first section fulfil a Liberal manifesto pledge, the second section is based on a bill previously submitted by the Liberal party and an idea put forward by a Liberal member. The other two sections while one was my own idea, and the other put forward by a Labour member have complete support from the Liberals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I urge the rt.hon member to look at my SoI, not only does the first section fulfil a Liberal manifesto pledge, the second section is based on a bill previously submitted by the Liberal party and an idea put forward by a Liberal member. The other two sections while one was my own idea, and the other put forward by a Labour member have complete support from the Liberals
    The Statement of Intent does not include plans on how to address the cause of mental health, nor does the Statement of Intent tell MPs how treatment for mental health will improve. Having one Liberal manifesto pledge is not a good deal for a party who makes up 40% of the coalition; 40% of the budget plans, and 40% of Statement of Intents would be fair.

(Original post by PetrosAC)
    I've already had the argument with you over the budget in the budget thread, if you care to go back and read it. I'm not going to bother having it again.Aph is an extremely active, hardworking member of the party and that has be recognised. Though his views differ from mine slightly, the Defence SoS still needs majority Government support so the Policies are not going to change much, just the author.
    Thar is it, Aph is the only active the Liberal have who can take on a ministerial appointment; the Liberals have an activity crisis starting. If his views differer significantly from the Liberal party another, more agreeable member should have been appointed to the position. On your final point, the government may need to authorise all plans but the Liberal MPs mostly vote to keep their Labour superiors happy, and Aph will have his own way.

ReputationRep:
    The Statement of Intent does not include plans on how to address the cause of mental health, nor does the Statement of Intent tell MPs how treatment for mental health will improve. Having one Liberal manifesto pledge is not a good deal for a party who makes up 40% of the coalition; 40% of the budget plans, and 40% of Statement of Intents would be fair.
    I would say that 50% of an SoI being purely Liberal policies, admittedly Labour backed Liberal policies, and the other half being Labour policies, both Liberal backed Labour policies I would suggest that shows the Liberals play a far greater role than you are suggesting.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador

Thar is it, Aph is the only active the Liberal have who can take on a ministerial appointment; the Liberals have an activity crisis starting. If his views differer significantly from the Liberal party another, more agreeable member should have been appointed to the position. On your final point, the government may need to authorise all plans but the Liberal MPs mostly vote to keep their Labour superiors happy, and Aph will have his own way.
    I look forward to coming to the end of term and counting how many manifesto pledges we have passed into law next to UKIP's.

I'd invite you into the party to see how we're thriving, but I don't think you quite fit our views. We've had three new members join us in the past few days, two or three bills being debated in the party forum, and then SOI's and bills being written in Government. It's the complete opposite of an activity crisis.

Let's be clear now, Labour are no superior to us in any way apart from the number of seats they have. Liberal MPs do not toe the Labour line. They toe the Government line (well, mostly ). Aph has been appointed because he is deserving and there is no other reason than that.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that 50% of an SoI being purely Liberal policies, admittedly Labour backed Liberal policies, and the other half being Labour policies, both Liberal backed Labour policies I would suggest that shows the Liberals play a far greater role than you are suggesting.
    I read the Liberal manifesto, the only Liberal policy briefly touched on was mental health, policies that Liberals have suggested when in the coalition do not count because the suggestions are made with the aim of appeasing Labour.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Only hon.

ReputationRep:
    I read the Liberal manifesto, the only Liberal policy briefly touched on was mental health, policies that Liberals have suggested when in the coalition do not count because the suggestions are made with the aim of appeasing Labour.
    Then clearly it is not worth arguing you on this

ReputationRep:
    I look forward to coming to the end of term and counting how many manifesto pledges we have passed into law next to UKIP's.

I'd invite you into the party to see how we're thriving, but I don't think you quite fit our views. We've had three new members join us in the past few days, two or three bills being debated in the party forum, and then SOI's and bills being written in Government. It's the complete opposite of an activity crisis.

Let's be clear now, Labour are no superior to us in any way apart from the number of seats they have. Liberal MPs do not toe the Labour line. They toe the Government line (well, mostly ). Aph has been appointed because he is deserving and there is no other reason than that.
    If I decided to amputate all of the fingers on my hand I would still have enough fingers to count the number of Liberal policies. If there is not an activity crisis a member better reflecting the views of the Liberal party would have been appointed to the position Aph has been appointed to. Liberal MPs toed the Labour line by voting against the Alternative Tax Act repeal bill, however, I have been informed by a Liberal, who switched his vote, the argument made by the Labour whip was Labour begging him to switch his vote to save Labour's face in return for Liberal policies: if the Liberals need to do something for Labour to have some of their policies the Liberals are weaker than thought.

Aph If Privy Council membership was taken seriously I would be the Rt Hon member.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    If I decided to amputate all of the fingers on my hand I would still have enough fingers to count the number of Liberal policies. If there is not an activity crisis a member better reflecting the views of the Liberal party would have been appointed to the position Aph has been appointed to. Liberal MPs toed the Labour line by voting against the Alternative Tax Act repeal bill, however, I have been informed by a Liberal, who switched his vote, the argument made by the Labour whip was Labour begging him to switch his vote to save Labour's face in return for Liberal policies: if the Liberals need to do something for Labour to have some of their policies the Liberals are weaker than thought.

Aph If Privy Council membership was taken seriously I would be the Rt Hon member.
    If it was taken seriously I would be RT. Hon. Too. I've been home, foreign and now defence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    If it was taken seriously I would be RT. Hon. Too. I've been home, foreign and now defence.
    Yes, you would, but writing it as RT. Hon. is grammatically incorrect.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Yes, you would, but writing it as RT. Hon. is grammatically incorrect.
    Yeah, that was autocorrect which hates me.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador

Don't go amputating your fingers just yet - you'll need the other 5. I'll tell you what we have or will be enacting:

- Sugar Tax
    - Digital Rights
    - Mental Health Funding
    - Increased Personal Allowance
    - Increased Education Budget
    - Reversed the inheritance tax cut

As Home Sec I intend to
    - Increase the number of Syrian Refugees (I'm sure you're delighted to hear that)
    - Decriminalise, at the very least, some drugs
    - Decriminalise Brothels (as floated around last term)

Everything in Bold was in the budget, so that's 5 there already, with almost half the term left.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What your f******g mad
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    What your f******k mad
    I may be mad, but your grammar is atrocious

ReputationRep:
    Don't go amputating your fingers just yet - you'll need the other 5. I'll tell you what we have or will be enacting:

- Sugar Tax
    - Digital Rights
    - Mental Health Funding
    - Increased Personal Allowance
    - Increased Education Budget
    - Reversed the inheritance tax cut

As Home Sec I intend to
    - Increase the number of Syrian Refugees (I'm sure you're delighted to hear that)
    - Decriminalise, at the very least, some drugs
    - Decriminalise Brothels (as floated around last term)

Everything in Bold was in the budget, so that's 5 there already, with almost half the term left.
    No, the sugar tax need legislation which has not been revealed, the person allowance was pledged at £15000 but the pledge has not been met, and the increase in education budget was meant to fund more personalise teaching but there has been no education SoI. The reversal in inheritance tax, and mental health funding are the two pledges the Liberal have managed to propose, but both pledges have not been detailed yet. If you want to open the door to part of the herd by making an unpopular move with the British public, that is your prerogative; I will fight it.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    No, the sugar tax need legislation which has not been revealed, the person allowance was pledged at £15000 but the pledge has not been met, and the increase in education budget was meant to fund more personalise teaching but there has been no education SoI. The reversal in inheritance tax, and mental health funding are the two pledges the Liberal have managed to propose, but both pledges have not been detailed yet.
    We do still have the second half of the term. The Chancellor will be legislating for his tax changes (as he obviously has to) and whilst the pledge of £15,000 was not met, we have at the very least managed to increase it. We were maybe overly-optimistic of the countries finances when making that particular pledge.

ReputationRep:
    We do still have the second half of the term. The Chancellor will be legislating for his tax changes (as he obviously has to) and whilst the pledge of £15,000 was not met, we have at the very least managed to increase it. We were maybe overly-optimistic of the countries finances when making that particular pledge.
    If the Liberal party wanted to put the wealth of Britons first it could fund an increase in the Personal Allowance by taking an axe to the bloated foreign aid budget, however, we should know the only people Labour and the Liberals stand up for is everyone else but Britons.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Mmm, nothing to do with the state of what he released as SoS for Defence then
    Nothing at all.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    If the Liberal party wanted to put the wealth of Britons first it could fund an increase in the Personal Allowance by taking an axe to the bloated foreign aid budget, however, we should know the only people Labour and the Liberals stand up for is everyone else but Britons.
    I hope James has checked his math so I don't look stupid, but 99% of Britons get a tax cut under our proposals. We are moving towards a fairer society for all, no matter where you come from. Instability in other countries affects us, and surely it is our moral duty to help other nations, especially the ones we left in absolute messes from our Imperial days?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.