Eu: In or out?

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should be stay a member or leave?
    Stay
    58.13%
    Leave
    41.87%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plstudent)
    How long until many of them are in the UK? They can even come legally with EU passports if a country gives them asylum. .
    You don't get a passport with asylum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celloel)
    Out.

I'm 16, so I cannot actually vote, but if I were able to I would be voting out.
    Same!! What I'd do to be able to vote!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plstudent)
    Here we go again: 4,500 picked up from Africa and brought to Europe in only ONE day.

http://www.dw.com/en/in-40-operation...ean/a-19351295

How long until many of them are in the UK? They can even come legally with EU passports if a country gives them asylum. We are witnessing the end of Europe, brought upon by egalitarian progressivism.

Each and every single remain voter is guilty of this fate.
    This is one of the reasons why I voted Leave. Let's hope we actually do leave...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam0324)
    Whether you have voted to remain or leave I'm sure that we can all agree that both sides of the debate have proven that very rarely what you hear has been true. Both leave and remain have manipulated data and stats to try and get their point across. I've found it incredibly difficult to find actual facts and figures that have proven to be legitimate.
    We will reap the whirlwind of that at the next general election. Politicians have seen that it is possible to win whilst lying about facts (rather than "political" lies that have always gone on). The view has always been that the electorate would punish that.

ReputationRep:
    u sure about that thats not wat other countries think .. but ok ... many depend on us
    (Original post by ABoyHasNoName)
    I would say Germany are stronger!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABoyHasNoName)
    I would say Germany are stronger!
    sorry, i did my research and your right i shouldn't have argued Germany is the strongest were the second not the most strongest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kxjzh)
    Same!! What I'd do to be able to vote!

Posted from TSR Mobile

its so unfair its not just affecting the adults life even the ones younger, were not allowed to vote for a mayor or pm !!,HOWEVER THIS WOULD EFFECT US THE MOST!!we should have got the right to vote!!!this is ridiculous!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eminkinza)
    its so unfair its not just affecting the adults life even the ones younger, were not allowed to vote for a mayor or pm !!,HOWEVER THIS WOULD EFFECT US THE MOST!!we should have got the right to vote!!!this is ridiculous!!
    I'm sure giving a newborn the right to vote will go down well...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    shut up im nearlly an adult.. so what u taking about!
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I'm sure giving a newborn the right to vote will go down well...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, the British economy is already suffering and it's only been a day.

Now even more nations will likely attempt to leave the EU. Terrible economic repercussions for European nations, including the German and French giants.

As an extension, the UK will suffer badly if the EU does indeed begin to collapse. 50% of its exports still go to Europe. A collapsing economy won't allow for much demand for UK goods.

And well, I'm quite sure the Brits will not even get what they want. It's just that another sort of deal would be formed, where the UK has even more of a special status in the EU, with things going back to normal eventually. But then the risk of the EU collapsing has been heightened because of this.

Besides, the UK has lost in this day what it's 'lost' in 24 years of adding to the EU budget. And most of that 'lost' money in the 24 years came right back into the UK with EU funded projects and agricultural subsidies from the CAP.

Oh man, oh man, only if people had any idea about economics.

However, one good thing which may come out of this could be the elites, lobbyists and corporations paying more attention to the common folk. The people have shown how fed up they are. Globalization is the end goal of most large multinationals, so they'll have to pacify the Brits somehow, perhaps by improving their living standards and bringing back some form democracy. So, well, maybe in the long run, just maybe, this may have been a good thing. I sure hope so.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, many people in around that age are too easily influenced.

ReputationRep:
    16 and 17 year olds should not have the right to vote.

Yes, the result will affect your life. It will affect a ten year old's life too. It will affect a 5 year old's life too. It will affect a new born's life too. Some are just too young to fully comprehend the arguments and/or vote responsibly.

That is not to say that 16 and 17 year olds are not politically informed as some are, but they are very much in the minority and even still do not have all the information required for an educated and reasonable vote.

I started to get very political at around 16 years old and I started thinking I knew everything and that I had formed my opinions and I just wanted to vote. Now that I have hit 18 I have realised how uninformed I was, even though I thought I knew a lot. Politics is a very complicated world and one which 16 and 17 years olds have not had the time to fully explore. Since growing up (yes, growing up) in a political sense, the party I thought I would support has changed because I understood which greater maturity and depth the intricacies of party policy and ideology. Unfortunately I strongly do not believe that 16 and 17 years are able to have developed this understanding.

What's more, many many many young people would vote irresponsibly. We saw it with this referendum, some voters treating it as a game, some voted leave not because they were against the EU but because they were against Westminister. With ill educated youngsters, there is an immense danger of damaging results due to many treating the vote as some sort of joke.

Again, that is not to say that some young people are not politically astute. Those who are, however, are let down by the overwhelming majority of those who are not. What I would say, however, is that the vote is a small part of the political world. If you want your voice to be heard at 16 or 17 you still can without the vote; join the party/ campaign that you wish to support and start supporting them by becoming an activist. Spread the word of your beliefs and strengthen the ideology you support. That is a more productive way of using your political awareness than giving the vote to a majority of ill educated people.

ReputationRep:
    shut up im nearlly an adult.. so what u taking about!
    But the logic applied to allowing 16-17 to vote can be extended all the way down to newborns, and the whole argument of younger people being affected more means that we should give bites to the unborn!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    u sure about that thats not wat other countries think .. but ok ... many depend on us
    It depends how you are defining 'strong'? 'Strong' in what sense?

Economically Germany are stronger than us (even before the referendum result). In Europe, Germany have the largest and strongest economy. In the world, they have the fourth largest by nominal GDP in the world.

Great Britain were the fifth largest by nominal GDP in the world.

So in that sense, yes Germany are definitely stronger than us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    But the logic applied to allowing 16-17 to vote can be extended all the way down to newborns, and the whole argument of younger people being affected more means that we should give bites to the unborn!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ugh ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddso)
    It depends how you are defining 'strong'? 'Strong' in what sense?

Economically Germany are stronger than us (even before the referendum result). In Europe, Germany have the largest and strongest economy. In the world, they have the fourth largest by nominal GDP in the world.

Great Britain were the fifth largest by nominal GDP in the world.

So in that sense, yes Germany are definitely stronger than us.
    read wat i wrote later on .. yes i did my research and i found out that was wrong

ReputationRep:
    read wat i wrote later on .. yes i did my research and i found out that was wrong
    My apologies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddso)
    My apologies!
    dont worry its fine

ReputationRep:
    Is it over yet or can I still vote?!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.