Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAtaKhan)
    So guys, the bomb that I thought blew off near me was about in one kilometers radius and was aimed to the Police Department of Atasehir Province in Istanbul to keep them away from the streets. No one was injured tho.
    Good to hear that you're safe mate (and that the bomb did no real damage to anyone else).

ReputationRep:
    Turkish soldiers are being beaten to death in the streets. Civilised country my ass.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the plotters did try to kill Erdogan - he's now saying that his holiday villa (probably a palace, knowing him) was bombed by the coup just after he left it. Sounds like the corrupt Turkish leader got a tip off and has been extremely lucky to have survived.

All kind of puts the "imminent EU accession of Turkey" debate in perspective. :rolleyes: I wonder if Farage would still be claiming that they are about to join if the referendum was today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Apparently the plotters did try to kill Erdogan - he's now saying that his holiday villa (probably a palace, knowing him) was bombed by the coup just after he left it. Sounds like the corrupt Turkish leader got a tip off and has been extremely lucky to have survived.
    Already proven false. It makes no sense that it would be bombed after anyway, why not shoot down his aircraft on the way to the airport in Istanbul? I was tracking the plane online myself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)

All kind of puts the "imminent EU accession of Turkey" debate in perspective. :rolleyes: I wonder if Farage would still be claiming that they are about to join if the referendum was today?
    To be fair, while any claims that Turkey might've joined the EU any time within the next decade were absurd and indicative of a lack of understanding of how EU ascension works, I don't think it's out of order to suggest that since Turkey is in a very strong negotiating position currently (the war, the migrant issue etc), they could potentially gain benefits with the EU, even if not a member. I don't think free movement would ever be included as it would be insane but it's not completely irrational to suggest it could be possible down the line, since EU membership is not required for this as we see with other countries. Again, I don't see it but stranger things have happened..........

As for this coup, I can't help but wonder what Russia is thinking of all this.........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    To be fair, while any claims that Turkey might've joined the EU any time within the next decade were absurd and indicative of a lack of understanding of how EU ascension works, I don't think it's out of order to suggest that since Turkey is in a very strong negotiating position currently (the war, the migrant issue etc), they could potentially gain benefits with the EU, even if not a member. I don't think free movement would ever be included as it would be insane but it's not completely irrational to suggest it could be possible down the line, since EU membership is not required for this as we see with other countries. Again, I don't see it but stranger things have happened..........

As for this coup, I can't help but wonder what Russia is thinking of all this.........
    Sorry but my awareness of turkish politics is pretty bad. Why do people not like Erdogan? He bought the economy out of recession?
    Also why is this 'contempt' not addressed to the prime minister but the president (ERDOGAN)??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladiatorsword)
    Sorry but my awareness of turkish politics is pretty bad. Why do people not like Erdogan? He bought the economy out of recession?
    Also why is this 'contempt' not addressed to the prime minister but the president (ERDOGAN)??
    He is an Islamist, that's why.

ReputationRep:
    just read about that just now! crazy stuff going on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladiatorsword)
    He is destroying the secular tradition of Turkey.

He is undermining democracy by accumulating as much power as he can as president.

He has supported extremist Islamic groups in Syria whilst attacking the Kurds.

He has been suing people for making poems in foreign countries. He has been jailing journalists in his own country.

That is just from the top of my head

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.