Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sdotd)
    Have you guys checked out ID network? They do some pretty good deals a lot of the times
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't ID Mobile use the Three network?

Also, ID Mobile don't allow tethering, so if you need to connect your laptop/tablet up to your phone's data (i.e. if you need your table when out and about) then you'll need a different network.

I've tried Three via a PAYG SIM though, for general mobile stuff, and they are very good - good 3G coverage and the PAYG rates are quite good. The SIM Only prices have gone up over the years but as far as I know, Three is the only main network that offers truly unlimited data, which is also a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    I have a good SIM-only contract (300 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited BlackBerry web).
    I love having the unlimited web, but that only applies if I am using a BlackBerry.
    I currently have the Z10 which I love but in December, Whatsapp (the thing I use most on my phone) will no longer support BB OS.
    The newer BlackBerry phones are the PRIV and DTEK50. I like the look of the PRIV more plus it has the physical QWERTY keyboard. They both have Android OS.
    I have only every bought handsets in store e.g. carphone warehouse so I am looking for a good deal on the PRIV, unlocked handset with charger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't ID Mobile use the Three network?

Also, ID Mobile don't allow tethering, so if you need to connect your laptop/tablet up to your phone's data (i.e. if you need your table when out and about) then you'll need a different network.

I've tried Three via a PAYG SIM though, for general mobile stuff, and they are very good - good 3G coverage and the PAYG rates are quite good. The SIM Only prices have gone up over the years but as far as I know, Three is the only main network that offers truly unlimited data, which is also a good thing.
    Yes ID works on the Three network and the signal is very good

ReputationRep:
    I've been an Orange customer for a decade plus (PAYG to now sim only) and feel like it's time to get a better deal as I don't use my allowances nearly enough coupled in with looking for a new handset, I'm leaning towards Giff Gaff. My friend has been using it for a while with positive reviews and the sim only element appeals rather than reverting to PAYG. If you top up 10 for a goodbag and at the end of the month, you don't top up then do they cut off access to your allowances until you do? Normally with PAYG top ups, you have the 10 in credit after your monthly allowances expire to use. Hope that makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    GiffGaff is honestly the best one for students(in my own opinion) because if you're not using all of your allowance you can easily downgrade to a smaller contract or you can upgrade if you need more allowance. They sell phones on their website but with the 'contract'(you can cancel whenever you want as long as you give notice) you only get a sim(which is great because you can just move the sim to a new phone without any worries).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaioftheBlizzard)
    GiffGaff is honestly the best one for students(in my own opinion) because if you're not using all of your allowance you can easily downgrade to a smaller contract or you can upgrade if you need more allowance. They sell phones on their website but with the 'contract'(you can cancel whenever you want as long as you give notice) you only get a sim(which is great because you can just move the sim to a new phone without any worries).
    Lots of other companies offer sim-only 30 day rolling contracts.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm with Tesco. Super cheap and you can change your tariff at any time. It's great and doesn't have constantly fluctuating prices like EE.

ReputationRep:
    For people looking for a cheap phone, this one looks good: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Glob...-06688-Y7bAZbY

Unfortunately it has gone up in price by about £10 since yesterday or the day before, though you can still get £3-£4 off it using coupons on the website.

4GB RAM
    64 GB Storage
    Fingerprint Scanner
    Snapdragon 625
    1080p 5.5" screen (maybe too big for some)
    13MP camera
    No NFC though

And this looks like one of the better sim-only deals at the moment: https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/sim_...Fscy8mcG89Nw==

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 3, 2017
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.