The Student Room Group

Chess games

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Sexathlete
You're asking for another screenshot boy.
Watch your back punk.

I only fight winners.
Original post by trustmeimlying1

I only fight winners.

At least this way you'll always be at peace with yourself.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Actually I wouldn't call your game horrible at all, it was very principled accurate play from your part except for missing the hanging knight (but the couple of tactics were still quite nice), especially since a lot of 1600ish players on lichess completely disregard opening principles etc. lol (heck, they do it up to about 1900).

Really don't think I should be 1600ish (especially since during the provisional period I lost on time to a 1400 I was beating because of internet, and that put me down 107 points lol). I think the biggest mistake was actually missing the checkmating opportunities at the point when I was up like +12, I did the wrong discovered check, purely because I didn't check my opponent's next move, which obviously won the knight and made the king safer. I lose so many games because I don't check what my opponents doing, it's so stupid; I know the principles of avoiding mistakes and playing decent chess but I never apply them.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Really don't think I should be 1600ish (especially since during the provisional period I lost on time to a 1400 I was beating because of internet, and that put me down 107 points lol). I think the biggest mistake was actually missing the checkmating opportunities at the point when I was up like +12, I did the wrong discovered check, purely because I didn't check my opponent's next move, which obviously won the knight and made the king safer. I lose so many games because I don't check what my opponents doing, it's so stupid; I know the principles of avoiding mistakes and playing decent chess but I never apply them.

Your problem is that you play 10|0. Look at my games; I always play at least 30|0 and I'm at 1800 now (basically). I know it's provisional (don't know why it still is) but I'm finding it quite easy to take down 1700s anyway.
It's very hard to improve at chess if you always play rapid/blitz. Try what I do and play 30|0 and really take a lot of time with each move. I even play 45|0 sometimes if I'm feeling really slow.
Playing chess does not improve a player; thinking about chess does.
Original post by Electrospective
I suck at chess. :ahee: But I wanna play chess so....

Let the chess games begin! :colone:

EDIT: SOME OF YOU MAY NOT HAVE FIGURED THIS OUT BUT IT'LL BE AN ONLINE GAME OF CHESS......

Editededit: Quote me or tag me and I'll add you to the list below

Spoiler

I play chess !! But i stopped it due to my exams :frown:(My last tournament was the Chess Olympiad
If you want a real challenge in chess online , try out Chess.com with a time control of 45|10 or even 30 min + with a 1700+ opponent :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
especially since a lot of 1600ish players on lichess completely disregard opening principles etc. lol (heck, they do it up to about 1900).

Waaay higher than that. Here is a game I played this morning where my opponent rated 2150 at the time decided to convert his bishop into a pawn, and then blundered a rook on move 13.

https://en.lichess.org/FJWnEUua#43

The game also shows how low the standard is at all stages of the game until way over 2100. I blundered a huge amount of material, then misclicked Kg6 and walked into a forced checkmate, then my opponent didn't stop the blindingly obvious forced checkmate, instead blundering away all his advantage, and I crawled over the line to a well-deserved triumph.

That should encourage you on your way to 2000+. (Though admittedly games are usually a little bit higher standard than this extreme example).
Your problem is that you play 10|0. Look at my games; I always play at least 30|0 and I'm at 1800 now (basically). I know it's provisional (don't know why it still is) but I'm finding it quite easy to take down 1700s anyway.
It's very hard to improve at chess if you always play rapid/blitz. Try what I do and play 30|0 and really take a lot of time with each move. I even play 45|0 sometimes if I'm feeling really slow.
Playing chess does not improve a player; thinking about chess does.

I guess so. Just seems generally the longer the game, the more stressed out I get as I am more invested. Playing a load of bullet seems paradoxically far more relaxing; even if I'm losing a million games in a row it's way less of a gut punch than making some dumb mistake in a 30|0 that costs you the game. Perhaps I'm not cut out for chess lel.
I guess so. Just seems generally the longer the game, the more stressed out I get as I am more invested. Playing a load of bullet seems paradoxically far more relaxing; even if I'm losing a million games in a row it's way less of a gut punch than making some dumb mistake in a 30|0 that costs you the game. Perhaps I'm not cut out for chess lel.
We can't all be winners bud
Original post by Forum User
Waaay higher than that. Here is a game I played this morning where my opponent rated 2150 at the time decided to convert his bishop into a pawn, and then blundered a rook on move 13.

https://en.lichess.org/FJWnEUua#43

The game also shows how low the standard is at all stages of the game until way over 2100. I blundered a huge amount of material, then misclicked Kg6 and walked into a forced checkmate, then my opponent didn't stop the blindingly obvious forced checkmate, instead blundering away all his advantage, and I crawled over the line to a well-deserved triumph.

That should encourage you on your way to 2000+. (Though admittedly games are usually a little bit higher standard than this extreme example).

Wow yeah, that's a pretty extreme example to illustrate my point.
Although I do feel an N-rated player on lichess is up to 300 points lower than N, since lichess ratings are quite inflated.
I'd love to get to 2000+ but I'll only really be on my way to 2000 once I get to start playing OTB chess.

No you're completely right. 30|0 is definitely more stressful and pressurising than rapid/bullet. And yeah mistakes are much more of a gut punch as you've said.

It's about either: being able to just handle the pressure; I do this by not actually pressuring myself too much in strategic positions, rather I only really take time to think very carefully in more tactical positions
or
just playing OTB. OTB long time controls is obviously more fun and definitely feels more relaxing IMO.

But I'm so bad at rapid/blitz/bullet that I simply do not play them. Instead I just play standard occasionally (not tonnes because you really have to be in the right mood lol) and I'm looking to improve to a standard where I don't embarrass myself in blitz.
No you're completely right. 30|0 is definitely more stressful and pressurising than rapid/bullet. And yeah mistakes are much more of a gut punch as you've said.

It's about either: being able to just handle the pressure; I do this by not actually pressuring myself too much in strategic positions, rather I only really take time to think very carefully in more tactical positions
or
just playing OTB. OTB long time controls is obviously more fun and definitely feels more relaxing IMO.

But I'm so bad at rapid/blitz/bullet that I simply do not play them. Instead I just play standard occasionally (not tonnes because you really have to be in the right mood lol) and I'm looking to improve to a standard where I don't embarrass myself in blitz.

20|0 seems a step in the right direction, made for a more interesting game. Nice imbalances in this one.. https://en.lichess.org/8DUB7Ng6/black#92
20|0 seems a step in the right direction, made for a more interesting game. Nice imbalances in this one.. https://en.lichess.org/8DUB7Ng6/black#92

Yeah quite nice... though I would've liked to see black punished more for his terrible play in the opening!
Yeah quite nice... though I would've liked to see black punished more for his terrible play in the opening!

I don't think my play was terrible in the opening :frown: I'd hope you mean white given his flaunting of principles. Those stupid queen moves seem like they should receive some punishment; I guess the main way I failed to take advantage was capturing the knight on h3. My reasoning was that it forced (well, encouraged) yet another queen move and was therefore not a time waste, and I was seeing ghosts with the knight being an attacking unit on the kingside; obviously Nc6 was better.
I don't think my play was terrible in the opening :frown: I'd hope you mean white given his flaunting of principles. Those stupid queen moves seem like they should receive some punishment; I guess the main way I failed to take advantage was capturing the knight on h3. My reasoning was that it forced (well, encouraged) yet another queen move and was therefore not a time waste, and I was seeing ghosts with the knight being an attacking unit on the kingside; obviously Nc6 was better.

Oh sorry I meant white!! Going for scholar's mate and all that rubbish. I was saying that I would've liked to see you punish him for that. But you played reasonably accurately nonetheless.

Yeah Bxh3 gets rid of any advantage for you, well identified. Reason being is that you're simplifying the game. I understand you're viewing it as a 'tempo gained' int that you're clearing a piece of the back rank and making his queen move again, but in reality you're weakening your attacking chances, losing the bishop pair, taking a badly placed knight for a good bishop and not getting the usual doubling of h pawns that usually makes the move worth playing. Simply put it justifies somewhat your opponents poor opening moves.

I play the Sicilian ridiculously frequently, so I'm very experienced with all the nonsense beginner/weak players try against it (2.Bc4 is worryingly popular. Although not bad it usually shows that they don't know about the Sicilian at all.).
Key idea when they bring the queen out is to defend the c5 pawn with e6, opening up your bishop, get your knights out, harass the queen and c2 with a knight if appropriate and smash open the centre with d5.
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh sorry I meant white!! Going for scholar's mate and all that rubbish. I was saying that I would've liked to see you punish him for that. But you played reasonably accurately nonetheless.

Yeah Bxh3 gets rid of any advantage for you, well identified. Reason being is that you're simplifying the game. I understand you're viewing it as a 'tempo gained' int that you're clearing a piece of the back rank and making his queen move again, but in reality you're weakening your attacking chances, losing the bishop pair, taking a badly placed knight for a good bishop and not getting the usual doubling of h pawns that usually makes the move worth playing. Simply put it justifies somewhat your opponents poor opening moves.

I play the Sicilian ridiculously frequently, so I'm very experienced with all the nonsense beginner/weak players try against it (2.Bc4 is worryingly popular. Although not bad it usually shows that they don't know about the Sicilian at all.).
Key idea when they bring the queen out is to defend the c5 pawn with e6, opening up your bishop, get your knights out, harass the queen and c2 with a knight if appropriate and smash open the centre with d5.

Yeah it basically came from a place of negativity. I was also thinking "couple of attacking pieces over here, let's get rid of one", even when there's actually no danger at all, rather than thinking about my own potential for attack. I felt intuitively that it wasn't right and indeed the evaluation drops a lot. I must have played against 2. Bc4 hundreds of times in blitz. I always play e6, then if they fail to play Nc3 smack the bishop with d5.
When is round 2 going to start?
Yeah it basically came from a place of negativity. I was also thinking "couple of attacking pieces over here, let's get rid of one", even when there's actually no danger at all, rather than thinking about my own potential for attack. I felt intuitively that it wasn't right and indeed the evaluation drops a lot. I must have played against 2. Bc4 hundreds of times in blitz. I always play e6, then if they fail to play Nc3 smack the bishop with d5.

When is the second round going to start?
Original post by john2054

I don't know what's going on with that to be honest. @Electrospective
Original post by john2054

Some people haven't done the first round yet....

Spoiler

i think they just need to finish off the first round games first. Then hopefully he will post the setup for the second round!

Quick Reply

Latest