The Commons Bar Mk XIII - MHoC Chat Thread

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    Fixed-term Parliaments (Repeal) Bill submitted to Lords.

http://www.publications.parliament.u..._en_2.htm#l1g1
    Not sure if that's a good idea really, not that it'll pass the commons.

ReputationRep:

Excellent news! I miss the days of fevered speculation about when an election was going to be called.

ReputationRep:

Whoever submitted that is clever if they're a Tory and a silly idiot if they're not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Whoever submitted that is clever if they're a Tory and a silly idiot if they're not.
    http://services.parliament.uk/bills/...ntsrepeal.html
    Proposed by Lord Desai. He's labour.

ReputationRep:
    Gavin Creelman: The Relevance of Thoburn to the Article 50 "Trigger" Debate

UKCLA is banging out some cracking stuff lately, this is well worth a read for anyone interested in the Art 50 process.

TL;DR: Theresa May using the prerogative to trigger Article 50 would be unlawful, and her doing so should be voided by a court. The only way it can legally be done is through Act of Parliament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Gavin Creelman: The Relevance of Thoburn to the Article 50 "Trigger" Debate

UKCLA is banging out some cracking stuff lately, this is well worth a read for anyone interested in the Art 50 process.

TL;DR: Theresa May using the prerogative to trigger Article 50 would be unlawful, and her doing so should be voided by a court. The only way it can legally be done is through Act of Parliament.
    Interesting, no wonder she's stalling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you had to choose between being in a totalitarian state and being in a stateless ancap like place then what would it be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick's Bozon)
    If you had to choose between being in a totalitarian state and being in a stateless ancap like place then what would it be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Totalitarian any day. Ancaps are so extreme even the libertarians reject them.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Totalitarian although I'd go ancom if that was an option.

ReputationRep:
    Has the government released a statement on the death of Harambe?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Cameron served with Lawson when he was Chancellor so one can believe reasonably that Cameron is a mild Thatcherite.

Osbourne let loose would be very libertarian, much less tax, much less spend, privatise everything.

Lib Dem economic policy before the coalition was set by Vince so it's harder to say however i'd say the key change is that both Clegg and Alexander are less keen ideological privatisation, probably about as radical on tax but probably more open to higher spending. Both i think are mildly classically liberal.
    Where do you think May lies economically?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Lol, my university has requested a trigger warning on the Twitter posts.

For which posts? "anything which may cause offence, such as a stat about domestic violence, which may trigger PTSD"

:facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by toronto353)
    We had a social media policy imposed on us at university recently due to two people having an argument over facebook and one reporting the other to the HoD, while the other person reported the first individual to HR.
    Hang on - your universities are trying to control what you post from private social media accounts, using your own private devices, expressing your personal opinions? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Not sure if that's a good idea really, not that it'll pass the commons.
    Why not? If the tories think they will win an increased majority then why wouldn't they vote it through? and I have no doubt a few labour MPs might vote for it thinking they could remove Corbyn after a GE loss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Why not? If the tories think they will win an increased majority then why wouldn't they vote it through? and I have no doubt a few labour MPs might vote for it thinking they could remove Corbyn after a GE loss
    Wasn't it originally a Tory bill?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Wasn't it originally a Tory bill?
    A coalition bill which, I believe, the lib dems insisted on, to stop the tories calling an election as soon as it looked like they might get a majority and not need the lib dems

ReputationRep:
    A coalition bill which, I believe, the lib dems insisted on, to stop the tories calling an election as soon as it looked like they might get a majority and not need the lib dems
    It was in their manifesto before they entered the coalition. The fact that it meant the Tories couldn't do that was just a positive consequence for the libdems.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well either way May certainly doesn't like the idea of an early election.

ReputationRep:
    It was in their manifesto before they entered the coalition. The fact that it meant the Tories couldn't do that was just a positive consequence for the libdems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm sure it was, but what I meant is I believe it was one of the 'red lines' of the coalition that this would be Government legislation, and the tories would vote for it.

(Original post by Aph)
    Well either way May certainly doesn't like the idea of an early election.
    She did in 2007 :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it was, but what I meant is I believe it was one of the 'red lines' of the coalition that this would be Government legislation, and the tories would vote for it.

She did in 2007 :rolleyes:
    No doubt, I wasn't disagreeing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Hang on - your universities are trying to control what you post from private social media accounts, using your own private devices, expressing your personal opinions? :eek:
    In effect, it's under the guise of not bringing the university into disrepute, but in reality, it's presumably to control what we say. I don't post anything on social media anyway, but it's still the principle.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.