Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSDas)
    It surprised me a ton when I realised it. Like when I actually did my GCSEs I didn't think about university at all. If I knew they were as important as they are I would have comfortably got 6/7+ A*s.

Given that, the main difficulty I'm having right now is deciding my third/fourth choice.

I'm pretty sure about applying for Cambridge/Warwick as I don't really lose anything by applying and I'd be absolutely ecstatic to go there. My 5th choice also is pretty much Leeds as I think it's very unlikely I won't get an offer and I would be very happy studying there.

The 3rd/4th place spots get a bit tricky now. As I see it, I can go two ways.

In the first case, I apply for two ridiculously competitive courses (Durham,Nottingham,Bristol,Bath, St Andrews). The pluses to this are that it gives me a higher chance of getting into a great university and if I fail all four I still have Leeds as a backup. However it does give me a slightly polarized application between ridiculously good unis and Leeds, missing out the chance of getting an offer from the mid levels like York/Exeter.

My other option is to apply for one RC course and one of Exeter,York,Southampton,Birmingh am. This gives me a very balanced application that i'm pretty safe with but doesn't maximise my chances of going to a top 11 uni.

My questions now become; 1) Which two RC courses do I have the best chance of getting offers from?
    and
    2)Is it possible for me to use Exeter/York/Southampton/Birmingham as a backup uni and apply for four of the top 11? (As Paulwhy suggested) Getting no offers would really suck for me, but i'm also really intent on getting into the best uni I can and picking four top 11s would help with that.

I know this is long-winded, but it a helps me a lot to write all my thoughts down and work out what my options are. And thanks for all the replies so far.
    Why are you looking at Leeds?

None of the RC courses are easy to get offers from. But St Andrews/Bath would be easier. So maybe have 1 of Durham/Notts/Bristol and 1 of Bath/St Andrews. But certianly think about geography:
    i) how far are those unis from your home.
    ii) do you like the unis. i.e. do you want campus/city unis.

(Original post by vintage_007)
    I don't understand this thinking behind UCL not letting the OP in with his GCSE grades? Is it just 'cause he's taking Economics?

'Cause I got 2 A8s, 3 As, 4 Bs and 2 Cs at GCSE, AAAB at AS and still got an offer from UCL, although for Linguistics and not for Econ?
    Yes Econ courses are much more competitive than most other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    Why are you looking at Leeds?

None of the RC courses are easy to get offers from. But St Andrews/Bath would be easier. So maybe have 1 of Durham/Notts/Bristol and 1 of Bath/St Andrews. But certianly think about geography:
    i) how far are those unis from your home.
    ii) do you like the unis. i.e. do you want campus/city unis.

Yes Econ courses are much more competitive than most other subjects.
    Leeds: Great location, good uni, close to home-ish (I live in Liverpool), very high probability I get an offer from them.

Do you think it's too weak even for a 5th choice backup? If so, what would you recommend?

If I give myself a 5% chance of getting an offer from any of top 4 choices, but a 90% chance of getting into my 5th choice, it really helps a lot to protect against not being rejected from all 5. Whatever 5th choice I have, I think I need to be reaaaly likely to receive an offer because I'm going for 4 really selective courses.

Even now I feel like picking Cambridge,Warwick,Durham,St Andrews,Leeds might be a bit overly aggressive.

ReputationRep:
    And what happened in maths?

Not sure yet.
    math i got A in both C1 and C2 but i got a C in S1 so that brought it down to a B... im regiving S1 again.. lets see what happens...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSDas)
    Leeds: Great location, good uni, close to home-ish (I live in Liverpool), very high probability I get an offer from them.

Do you think it's too weak even for a 5th choice backup? If so, what would you recommend?

If I give myself a 5% chance of getting an offer from any of top 4 choices, but a 90% chance of getting into my 5th choice, it really helps a lot to protect against not being rejected from all 5. Whatever 5th choice I have, I think I need to be reaaaly likely to receive an offer because I'm going for 4 really selective courses.

Even now I feel like picking Cambridge,Warwick,Durham,St Andrews,Leeds might be a bit overly aggressive.
    You have got A grades in Maths and Economics so are really safe for offers at all unis outside the top 11. So I would suggest one of the AAB.2.1 unis (York. Southampton, Birmingham) as your safety. i.e. you don't need to go as low as Leeds.

But the rest of your 4 are really good choices: clear gradient of decreasing competition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AY.25)
    math i got A in both C1 and C2 but i got a C in S1 so that brought it down to a B... im regiving S1 again.. lets see what happens...
    Yes.

and in terms of unis selection it is a bit hard to tell as you are looking at business economics not straight economics. But I would suggest looking at unis outside the TAELT top 11.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks a ton. This thread has been really helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    this is where you have some confusion - higher entry requirements =/= better standard of university.

eg. Warwick offer AAB/AABb/AABB and Durham offer AAA, yet Warwick is clearly better for Economics than Durham
    I thought Warwick was AAA/b

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xbabyxchelseax)
    I thought Warwick was AAA/b
    yeah, it's changed this year

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Im applying to Birmingham, Royal holloway, Warwick and two others.
    very poor gcses AAAABBBC CIDA CREDIT and some other qualification
    then AS was ok :-maths A econ A business studies A chinese B computing C
    predicted AAAA inc maths econ business computing
    Firstly, could someone please comment on my chances of getting into these uni's.
    Secondly, how bad is it to have an academically focused PS? as I keep getting told my PS says nothing about me

Thanks alot if you can drop a post

ReputationRep:
    B in Chinese? :shock:

ReputationRep:
    I think you have a good chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xbabyxchelseax)
    Hi,
    Im applying to Birmingham, Royal holloway, Warwick and two others.
    very poor gcses AAAABBBC CIDA CREDIT and some other qualification
    then AS was ok :-maths A econ A business studies A chinese B computing C
    predicted AAAA inc maths econ business computing
    Firstly, could someone please comment on my chances of getting into these uni's.
    Secondly, how bad is it to have an academically focused PS? as I keep getting told my PS says nothing about me

Thanks alot if you can drop a post
    Is chinese your mother tongue?

ReputationRep:
    Go for York as a 5th

ReputationRep:
    Hello, Paul

I am currently doing my second year of IB in Prague.

I want to apply to an Economics course, but I wonder which universities to choose.

I have 45 predicted:

Economics 7 HL
    Mathematics 7 HL
    English 7 A2 HL
    Russian 7 HL
    Psychology 7 SL
    Biology 7 SL

My IGCSE's were not that good. I had 2 B's, rest A's and A*'s.

My personal statement is safe in terms of language (has been checked by 2 English teachers).
    - I have explanation of why do I want this course
    - I have mentionings of outside-syllabys reading (Krugman, Stiglitz, Hartford, Schumpeter)
    - I have good working placements (managing sales department in the advertisement company, consulting in the fertilizer-producer company)
    - All social stuff

Could you help me with my university choices?

ReputationRep:
    Is chinese your mother tongue?
    I am chinese but I have never been fluent in it, it is only when my school offered the subject that I took it for AS level.
    Do you reckon unis would penalise me for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinru)
    B in Chinese? :shock:
    I know I thought I would get an A but clearly not i was 4 marks off :mad:

(Original post by Jinru)
    I think you have a good chance
    Thanks I hope so

ReputationRep:
    Your GCSEs are not "very poor"! They certainly aren't as good as your predicted A2s and ASs but they aren't awful either
    Do you know what the 2 others are yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbarlow)
    Your GCSEs are not "very poor"! They certainly aren't as good as your predicted A2s and ASs but they aren't awful either
    Do you know what the 2 others are yet?
    Thanks :p: it definately isnt good by TSR standards :o: , hmm Im not sure yet quite undecided. Nottingham is nice but I havent got 8 A*s at gcse. Bath, i also like but I havent got A* in maths gcse. What annoys me is that I got an A* in my maths exam but a B in the coursework, if I Redid my coursework i would have had an A* in maths

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered applying for a back up/ "pretty much certain you'll get in" Uni?
    Lancaster has a good business centre, offers a scholarship to students who go first choice firm with 3As (i think?!) and it's quite likely you'd get in. Obviously considering the other Unis you've applied to it's not the most glamorous, but it's probably a safe bet

Also, don't get too pent up about GCSEs. Yes, Unis consider them a lot, but good references and personal statements are just as important

edit: ok, maybe Royal Holloway falls into the "certain you'll get in group"... my bad! Should research before writing ! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbarlow)
    Have you considered applying for a back up/ "pretty much certain you'll get in" Uni?
    Lancaster has a good business centre, offers a scholarship to students who go first choice firm with 3As (i think?!) and it's quite likely you'd get in. Obviously considering the other Unis you've applied to it's not the most glamorous, but it's probably a safe bet

Also, don't get too pent up about GCSEs. Yes, Unis consider them a lot, but good references and personal statements are just as important

edit: ok, maybe Royal Holloway falls into the "certain you'll get in group"... my bad! Should research before writing ! :P
    O phew! i dont want to fall any lower than RH

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 11, 2015

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.