OCR Economics Synoptic 2888 June 09 - YOUR GAME PLAN?! Watch

vinsta
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Virus.exe)
I swear it didn't have effects on that question:confused:! I'm such a flop!!! I thought they were asking how effective it was FOR encouraging?
What was the question? It was something like 'comment on the effectiveness of using subsidies to produce energy crops'
So use opp. cost of subsidies, that subsides shift MPC to the right increasing market failure as these energy crops have negative externalities according to that scientist in the extracts. subsidy means less land for food so supply of food falls and all the problems with that.
I think that bit is what you were getting at?
Hanoi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:cry:
thenewromance
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by vinsta)
What was the question? It was something like 'comment on the effectiveness of using subsidies to produce energy crops'
So use opp. cost of subsidies, that subsides shift MPC to the right increasing market failure as these energy crops have negative externalities according to that scientist in the extracts. subsidy means less land for food so supply of food falls and all the problems with that.
I think that bit is what you were getting at?
It was 'comment on the case for subsidies on energy crops'
Virus.exe
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by thenewromance)
So was I right about writing the reasons why subsidies do encourage farmers to produce "energy crops"? And not writing what others have said in this post about the pros and cons of energy crops?
vinsta
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So was I right about writing the reasons why subsidies do encourage farmers to produce "energy crops"? And not writing what others have said in this post about the pros and cons of energy crops?
What points are you referring to when you say 'pros and cons of energy crops'?
vinsta
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Same difference :p:
My points are valid anyway.
Virus.exe
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What points are you referring to when you say 'pros and cons of energy crops'?
This:

was actually epic. I aced question 4, since it was essentially predicted to a t. Tutor2u pretty much predicted 1, 2, and 4. Didn't like 3 so much as I couldn't work out whether I was meant to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of biofuels or not but did so anyway because I was running out of stuff to say about subsidies, just said standard stuff on that front about administration costs, inefficiency, food inflation, rising oil prices, opportunity cost, how it depends on the size of the subsidy, time period it is granted for, PED of biofuels, etc.

Finally, my luck is changing.
vinsta
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This:
Some points will be relevant some won't. But no you shouldn't write about what you highlighted there.
Virus.exe
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Some points will be relevant some won't. But no you shouldn't write about what you highlighted there.
Yeah that's what I was wondering. I was scared at first that it was what you were meant to write about and I was like wtf?
vinsta
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah that's what I was wondering. I was scared at first that it was what you were meant to write about and I was like wtf?
lol nah, that's not answering the question.
vinsta
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd imagine in the markscheme it would say 'explicit reference to subsidies must be made'.
Did you do the subsidy diagram virus.exe that was useful as it showed the total value of subsidy and you can relate that to opp. cost.
thenewromance
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, it confused me, so all I did was not go into specifics but just what the subsidy could directly effect i.e. I said if it was subsidised, this would reduce land used for food and so there could be food price inflation, and then also said how the processes use oil so oil prices could rise. Other than that, it was mostly evaluation of direct benefits and costs of subsidies e.g. opportunity costs, externalities, administrative costs, reduction in costs of production, could cause inefficiency, etc.
Prince-Myshkin
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:eek3: I dunno but that is a pretty big blemish, you don't need much for an A anyway so it won't be too bad.
fudge sake. probably blows my hopes of getting 570. hoping they might just scrub a couple marks off analysis, my evaluation was pretty darn thorough
BJP
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I thought it was OK. To be honest we couldn't really have asked for better questions.

I think I did OK. I realise now there are a couple of points I didn't put it or didn't explain properly. A bit ******* annoying really. I got distracted during the biofuels one (not by a fit invigilator this time lol).

Overall though, OCR were kind and given the kind of stuff you guys were chatting about pre-exam I'm sure you all did well!

Economics A-level [hopefully] OVER!

EDIT: btw, I answered in the following order lol: 4, 1a, 2, 1b, 3 - I think!
thenewromance
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by BJP)
I thought it was OK. To be honest we couldn't really have asked for better questions.

I think I did OK. I realise now there are a couple of points I didn't put it or didn't explain properly. A bit ******* annoying really. I got distracted during the biofuels one (not by a fit invigilator this time lol).

Overall though, OCR were kind and given the kind of stuff you guys were chatting about pre-exam I'm sure you all did well!

Economics A-level [hopefully] OVER!

EDIT: btw, I answered in the following order lol: 4, 1a, 2, 1b, 3 - I think!
I just answered in the proper order :o: I always find I get really stressed out by the harder questions and **** up the easy questions so I prefer to just go in the normal order.

But OCR have become a nice exam board. Previously, I thought edexcel were a good board but them and OCR seem to have swapped places the past 2 sessions.
BJP
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I just answered in the proper order :o: I always find I get really stressed out by the harder questions and **** up the easy questions so I prefer to just go in the normal order.

But OCR have become a nice exam board. Previously, I thought edexcel were a good board but them and OCR seem to have swapped places the past 2 sessions.
You didn't sit OCR C4 Maths last Friday then :tongue:

Was harder than all their previous papers (in most people I've spoken to's opinion). That's why I wondered if they were going to try and **** us over again today!
I_Am_Abbas
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That was awesome

What a gift of a paper
thenewromance
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by BJP)
You didn't sit OCR C4 Maths last Friday then :tongue:

Was harder than all their previous papers (in most people I've spoken to's opinion). That's why I wondered if they were going to try and **** us over again today!
Ahh, not saying OCR has became easy, just that most edexcel papers have became ridiculously difficult since January.

Got C4 on Monday. 8 exams to go. After Physics I keep wondering if there's even any point in me bothering with the rest of them but eh.
BJP
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ahh, not saying OCR has became easy, just that most edexcel papers have became ridiculously difficult since January.

Got C4 on Monday. 8 exams to go. After Physics I keep wondering if there's even any point in me bothering with the rest of them but eh.
8?! :eek: Bloodyhell. I only had 5 to start with (2 left). Are you doing more than 3 A2s then?
thenewromance
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by BJP)
8?! :eek: Bloodyhell. I only had 5 to start with (2 left). Are you doing more than 3 A2s then?
Lucky, I've had 10 so far. And yup, plus AEAs, plus the fact our college leaves a lot of subjects exams til summer, plus further maths I've had to do the lot over summer, so that plus finishing off maths stuff as well. Next week will be the worst week of my life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (184)
80.35%
Leave (45)
19.65%

Watched Threads