Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Stuff
    Via email, me not interested, thought you might be...

Spoiler:
    Show

Future Orthopaedic Surgeons Conference 2011

3rd Annual Future Orthopaedic Surgeons Conference

Royal Society of Medicine London

28th- 29th October 2011

For Medical Students & FY1/2 Doctors

Register at www.futureorthopaedicsurgeons.co m

Day 1 – Workshops

Take part in interactive educational & practical workshops taught by Ortho
    SpRs

* CV Clinic
    * Radiology & Fracture Management

* Ortho Examination
    * Dry-Bone Workshops

Day 2 - Lectures

Hear from eminent orthopaedic surgeons. Get up-to-date with current
    orthopaedic selection and training

* Getting In
    * Sub-Specialties
    * Life as a Trainee
    * Academic Surgery

FOSC Poster PRIZE

Present your work at a national conference. Compete for a national prize.

Now accepting abstracts on research & Audit in orthopaedics

Submission Deadline: 30th Sept 2011

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Are you in the "I want a prophylactic grey venflon" camp too then?

:five: Also contemplating a birthing-partner who should be a neonatal SpR by then. Mr Elles' can get involved pacing outside.

Watching the faff when 'low risk' turned into crash GA section (with stillbirth) as a medical student & being on resus when a 'PVB ?pregnant' got walked round by the (awesome) triage nurse which turned out to be more of a fundus-above-umbilicus-major-obstetric-haemorrhage... :no:

I have a perfectly shaped & conveniently sited left dorsal hand 2 branch fork vein but I think anyone coming at me with anything bigger than pink would make me wince right now & my ACFs are a bit meh with overlying tissue at present! Maybe a trip via Paeds for some magic cream & rock up w/ patches on. Or time to start getting friendly with the local Anaes Drs when we move house (convenient location includes proximity to hospital with Midwife Lead birthing unit adjacent to the Consultant Lead one!).

Renal, do you have a labour ward job or is that sort fo thing further on when people are pure Anaes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Renal, do you have a labour ward job or is that sort fo thing further on when people are pure Anaes?
    I didn't as F2, probably won't as CT2 but I expect I'll do three months as an ST2.

Wonder if I can put it off any longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    Tbh though, academic ability =/= ability to be a good junior doctor, which is essentially what you're applying for. Knowing the 13 branches of the lumbar plexus or the structure of the ribosome will help your academic rating, but will help little when it comes to the actual job.
    Oh definitely agree with that, there's no point having a doctor who's a genius but can't communicate with a patient, but good clinical practise is only built upon a good basis of medical knowledge. Only talking from experience, but the students that are the best are clinical skills are those that are also top ranking for exams. But saying all that, will probably end up forgetting up how to talk to a patient after a year of being in labs might end up naming my cells...

Also here at Leicester I didn't realise that we only had 20 sessions of anatomy, and 40 for psychosocial stuff. *Grumbles*

ReputationRep:
    Guys, we need your help. The PS Help forum is struggling with the numbers of medicine PSs at the moment - there always is a massive rush around this time, unsurprisingly.

If any of you are free and can help out, even just to do one or two, you'd be muchly appreciated! Don't forget that you can also now earn Amazon vouchers instead of TSR Credits/riches for doing reviews...

ReputationRep:
    Guys, we need your help. The PS Help forum is struggling with the numbers of medicine PSs at the moment - there always is a massive rush around this time, unsurprisingly.

If any of you are free and can help out, even just to do one or two, you'd be muchly appreciated! Don't forget that you can also now earn Amazon vouchers instead of TSR Credits/riches for doing reviews...

Amazon vouchers i hear you say?
    If id had known this. Where can i sign up?
    Probably best not to review them now i may well have been celebrating end of rotation!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    Amazon vouchers i hear you say?
    If id had known this. Where can i sign up?
    Probably best not to review them now i may well have been celebrating end of rotation!!!
    Maybe I should give you the link in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I should give you the link in the morning.

And that is why makes you a genius.
    Goodbye and thanks for all the fish.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blatant Troll)
    Agreed. But being a good junior doctor =/= aiming for minimum competency in exams, academic or otherwise. I'm sure you agree we should reward effort where it's due!
    The reward for exam results comes later, either in improving your CV for speciality training (where academia does matter, at least in certain fields) or by making membership exams easier for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    Oh definitely agree with that, there's no point having a doctor who's a genius but can't communicate with a patient, but good clinical practise is only built upon a good basis of medical knowledge. Only talking from experience, but the students that are the best are clinical skills are those that are also top ranking for exams. But saying all that, will probably end up forgetting up how to talk to a patient after a year of being in labs might end up naming my cells...

Also here at Leicester I didn't realise that we only had 20 sessions of anatomy, and 40 for psychosocial stuff. *Grumbles*
    It's not just clinical skills though. Being a good F1 requires a skill set that overlaps with being a PA - intiative, organisation, good note keeping etc. Med school doesn't teach you any of these, let alone examine it.

You're right that good medical knowledge leads to good clinical practice, but that applies more for speciality trainining. As an F1 the level of medical knowledge you need is actually quite low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    Via email, me not interested, thought you might be...

Spoiler:
    Show

Future Orthopaedic Surgeons Conference 2011

3rd Annual Future Orthopaedic Surgeons Conference

Royal Society of Medicine London

28th- 29th October 2011

For Medical Students & FY1/2 Doctors

Register at www.futureorthopaedicsurgeons.co m

Day 1 – Workshops

Take part in interactive educational & practical workshops taught by Ortho
    SpRs

* CV Clinic
    * Radiology & Fracture Management

* Ortho Examination
    * Dry-Bone Workshops

Day 2 - Lectures

Hear from eminent orthopaedic surgeons. Get up-to-date with current
    orthopaedic selection and training

* Getting In
    * Sub-Specialties
    * Life as a Trainee
    * Academic Surgery

FOSC Poster PRIZE

Present your work at a national conference. Compete for a national prize.

Now accepting abstracts on research & Audit in orthopaedics

Submission Deadline: 30th Sept 2011

Thanks I've been for the past two years though and it looks very much like it isn't going to be any different to before.

ReputationRep:
    I am the laziest man in the world, so lazy that it hurts.

ReputationRep:
    Ouch...

Wish someone would have warned me about rugby medic socials before uni....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    Ouch...

:lol: I live with a rugby player. It only gets worse from the first social.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    Was it at least your own piss you drank?

(Rugby socials have got tame since the original Bloodgate )

ReputationRep:
    Worst I have heard from rugby social is a pint of someone else's vom.

*Shudder*

ReputationRep:
    I've heard some wonderful ones. 15 a side naked rugby with a frozen chicken is a personal favourite.

ReputationRep:
    Why do anaesthetists start so early? SSC on Monday morning with them will be tiring times!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    Why do anaesthetists start so early? SSC on Monday morning with them will be tiring times!
    Beats working for a living.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    The reward for exam results comes later, either in improving your CV for speciality training (where academia does matter, at least in certain fields) or by making membership exams easier for you.
    RE: what you say about specialty training.

Do you mean they take more note of your exam scores/year rank/etc or that they're interested in extra degrees/research published/etc? Also, which specialties are you thinking of when you say certain fields?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.