Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ?Hannah)
    everyone on this thread - especially Zoe, just ignore this person because they don't even deserve a proper response.
    Thank you Hannah!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by miss_lara_777!)
    good luck!!!! :-)
    Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redcoats)
    Hold your scepticism:

b?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It cancels down to (162)^-s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    Thank you Hannah!!
    no problem, we all have your back.

ReputationRep:
    Stop following me nisha
    Just a bit of an auld salad

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vault111)
    Stop following me nisha
    Just a bit of an auld salad

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have Thank you for letting me know

ReputationRep:
    Why are you guys revising A-Level topics? Why not relax and explore doing different things?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Afro Tail)
    Why are you guys revising A-Level topics? Why not relax and explore doing different things?
    I'm not like revising full time or anything, I might just skim a page or read about topics on the internet if I'm really bored. But I fit the studying around the other stuff I have planned, not the other way round

(Although if you have any suggestions for things I should be doing with my summer I'm happy to hear them )

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to use this summer to bolster up my CV with experiences and extra curricular projects; I won't have much time when A Levels commence as I'll be busy studying and perfecting knowledge on assumably hard topics.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Afro Tail)
    I'm planning to use this summer to bolster up my CV with experiences and extra curricular projects; I won't have much time when A Levels commence as I'll be busy studying and perfecting knowledge on assumably hard topics.
    Yeah I've already got quite a bit for my CV but I am certainly keen to expand it further. I feel like if I have a better understanding of the topics before I get to full time study, I have more chance of being able to do other things throughout the year, as I have less to study in order to understand it. Plus, I may end up self teaching A-levels anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by target21859)
    b?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It cancels down to (162)^-s
    Correct; looks like we both used the same method (I got 162-s as well). Do ask if you want any more Oxford maths questions.

ReputationRep:
    Correct; looks like we both used the same method (I got 162-s as well). Do ask if you want any more Oxford maths questions.
    I've already applied to uni. I was just bored and looking around on TSR haha
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if anyone who follows this thread has self-taught A-levels (or knows anyone who has) as I would love advice on your experiences and information on how to go about doing all the admin.

Thanks guys and enjoy your summers
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if anyone who follows this thread has self-taught A-levels (or knows anyone who has) as I would love advice on your experiences and information on how to go about doing all the admin.

How come you're thinking of doing both an apprenticeship and A Levels? I mean this is just my opinion but surely it's better to go down the traditional route as it opens up more doors, and doing both seems a little excessive to me - especially since i think i remember you saying you wanted to do 5 A Levels? Seems like far too much unnecessary work.

However it is your decision so if you think that's best for you then go for it i suppose. Unfortunately I don't know anything about self-teaching so i can't help there, however if you do find out anything please let me know as i would quite like to teach myself A Level German! Have you discussed it with anyone from your school or the college you'd be attending to get any advice?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    How come you're thinking of doing both an apprenticeship and A Levels? I mean this is just my opinion but surely it's better to go down the traditional route as it opens up more doors, and doing both seems a little excessive to me - especially since i think i remember you saying you wanted to do 5 A Levels? Seems like far too much unnecessary work.

However it is your decision so if you think that's best for you then go for it i suppose. Unfortunately I don't know anything about self-teaching so i can't help there, however if you do find out anything please let me know as i would quite like to teach myself A Level German! Have you discussed it with anyone from your school or the college you'd be attending to get any advice?
    Yeah I know it is excessive but the Apprenticeship offers really good pay and experience. They may even pay for my A level exam entries (but I will have to check). I probably wouldn't do all 5 A levels either, or at least not within the 2 years, but maybe 2 in 2 years and 2 in another or something like that. At the minute I am completely undecided as to what to do, hence the reason I am asking for people's experiences.

As for my school, they probably would tell me to go to college but most of the teachers I mentioned the apprenticeship to just said "I'm glad it's not me making that decision", so that wasn't the most helpful thing they could of said, but then again, I think I knew where they wanted me to go.

ReputationRep:
    I really want to self teach myself GCSE computing, is it a difficult course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey,

I just did GCSE computing. Being completely honest, I found the theory concepts quite hard to grasp at times as I mainly had to self-teach it due to the standard of teaching of the subject in the UK. I also wasn't really a fan of the online resources available as they were mostly worded in a way which was difficult to understand when you have no guidance from a teacher or the opposite case, where they were too simply worded (as they were actually developed for GCSE ICT) to the point where you don't actually get all the info you need.

My favourite part of the course was the programming (although I know that many in my class hated it), and this is relatively easy to self-teach since there are so many websites that are kind of 'games' to help you learn. 60% of the course is based on controlled assessments so if you want an official qualification, this may be difficult - especially because you'd have to go somewhere to do 2 20-hour assessments. But if you don't want an actual GCSE in it, then I'd strongly recommend just teaching yourself the programming aspect of the course (especially as the theory side of things was so pointless and unrelated - eg. devices for people with specific needs and random bits of ethics)

Hope this helped

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I personally thought it was my hardest GCSE because of the lack of time the teachers spent teaching the content for the course. Some ideas in networks and databases were hard to grasp but eventually made more sense as you read into it. However the programming project was alright except from the python one which I somehow did good on! The key is to practise the programming concepts so you have the appropriate logic to attempt the demands of the 20 hour tasks. You'll actually feel satisfied when you make your own program even though it was hard!

I'd say if computing is something you are passionate about then go ahead and try to understand the content. Don't start memorising, just try to get the jist of the specification so that you won't hassle as much during year 11

ReputationRep:

Well I'm sure you're aware that I holistically taught myself all of the A-Level Maths and Further Maths modules.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm sure you're aware that I holistically taught myself all of the A-Level Maths and Further Maths modules.
    do you ever come off of tsr

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.