Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Guess who's made the most completed passes this world cup for England?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    Guess who's made the most completed passes this world cup for England?
    I'm guessing Lampard? I'd be concerned if he hadn't tbh, it's the sort of thing you expect from your CM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Well at least we got the result. The performance was average. I think only A.Cole stood out, for once Gerrard actually spent some time on the left which means Cole could overlap and wouldn't have 2 men on him the whole time, still he could have done that a lot more if Gerrard wasn't playing ahead of him. Milner deserves credit for his deliveries but otherwise he was as standard as the other midfielders. Defoe and Rooney were pretty poor but Slovenia did a decent defensive job.

Now because we've scrapped out the easiest group everyone seems to think we are back amongst the favourites. Guy Mowbray was an embarrassment, once we got the goal he couldn't stop praising us. Rooney did one good touch and suddenly he's back to his world class best. I'm absolutely thrilled we got the result which was as much as I wished for but we've got an enormous task ahead
    Completely agree. For the last 10 minutes of the first and last 20 minutes of the second we played long ball football. Despite the fact that for most of this period, our front man was jermain defoe. I made the point before that Rooney was not the only world class player in this team, however the more I see them play together, the more I doubt my judgement and question how much ability these players truly have. Simple things like controlling the ball and passing it square seem to be so laboured, it's disgraceful. I wonder how much these 'great players for their clubs' feed off the foreign talent that surrounds them. Between 25 and 35 minutes we saw a team worthy of being compared with the world's elite, and this was against Slovenia. It's a start but there's a lot of work to be done, and I do not think we can really on Rooney as a striker at the momment as he seems to have forgotten what the role entails.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    I'm guessing Lampard? I'd be concerned if he hadn't tbh, it's the sort of thing you expect from your CM
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Can some attempt an explanation as to why Heskey opted to become a striker instead of a CB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    Can some attempt an explanation as to why Heskey opted to become a striker instead of a CB?
    Silly manager's advice when he was growing up probably. However, during his liverpool days, Owen was only as good as he was because of Heskey; and I do remember one season where he was more prolific. As a teenager there probably was another owen-type player playing for his local club, and the manager probably opted to play Heskey upfront to 'get the best out of this player' like Capello for Rooney. Problem is, Rooney has been mediocure so far, and unlike Owen and Liverpool, isn't playing as an out and out striker thus such a tactic isn't yielding many goals.

ReputationRep:
    After yesterday...I think we're going to be OK, lads. :awesome:
    Maybe things aren't so bad :awesome:

Maybe...we are going to be OK :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    if any1 like any free bets,
    i can refer you for sky bet (i would have to email you a link) where you bet 5 pounds and get 4*5 pound bets free

PM me with name, email ID if you want it :bandit:

ReputationRep:
    Ghana should have beaten Germany. Then we'd have had to play Ghana, which would have been tricky in itself. But the pathway we have through to the final, should we make it, is very very tricky now. Damn the USA for scoring so late on in their match vs Algeria, although they have clearly deserved to progress out of the group. We're going to have to try and do the giant killing, and not some other team/s - essentially we're a bit ****ed.

IMO, we'll lose to Germany. What then? Will Capello stay on or resign? It's been a woeful campaign up till now and Capello has been getting paid £5-ish million to qualify out of a very easy qualifying group, to then struggle to get out of an easy group in the world cup proper, then to get beat at the first truly testing stage in the tournament...

Obscene really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    Ghana should have beaten Germany. Then we'd have had to play Ghana, which would have been tricky in itself. But the pathway we have through to the final, should we make it, is very very tricky now. Damn the USA for scoring so late on in their match vs Algeria, although they have clearly deserved to progress out of the group. We're going to have to try and do the giant killing, and not some other team/s - essentially we're a bit ****ed.

IMO, we'll lose to Germany. What then? Will Capello stay on or resign? It's been a woeful campaign up till now and Capello has been getting paid £5-ish million to qualify out of a very easy qualifying group, to then struggle to get out of an easy group in the world cup proper, then to get beat at the first truly testing stage in the tournament...

Obscene really.
    listen, everyone wrote spurs off against chelsea, arsenal and man city,and were it not for injuries and players out of poisiton giving away dumb penalties etc we could have got a draw at utd. As a squad/team england have better players than spurs, so why can we not do it

ReputationRep:
    We can win, but if I was a betting man I'd put my money on Germany. They've got their best side in years, IMO.

I'd love to be wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jermaindefoe)
    listen, everyone wrote spurs off against chelsea, arsenal and man city,and were it not for injuries and players out of poisiton giving away dumb penalties etc we could have got a draw at utd. As a squad/team england have better players than spurs, so why can we not do it
    Spurs would rape this England side. It's all about playing well together as a team. This England side have yet to convince me they can do this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stu Laverty)
    We can win, but if I was a betting man I'd put my money on Germany. They've got their best side in years, IMO.

I'd love to be wrong though.

I'd disagree with that. I thought Germany were superb in 2006. This side seem to be no way near as good as those German performances we saw in 2006. They played superb football, scored plenty of goals, stunning goals, attractive football, just came undone against a very well organised and effective Italian side.

ReputationRep:
    Inb4 Ozil dives yet some more and becomes figure of blame for 2010 elimination.

ReputationRep:
    Watch him with Pearce near the end, quite funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnni)
    Pearce and the other fella were getting shoved about throughout

They didn't look happy with it, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I was just thinking how pathetic it is if the players are using homesickness as the reason for their poor performance so far.

They've only been gone for a few weeks and they're in a permanent party atmosphere surrounded by African and England fans, the rest of the year they're in England or playing an away fixture anyway.

Bunch of chavs, adulterers and pussies. Sven was a bad influence.

ReputationRep:
    Germany tommorow, can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    I’m going to watch it in Rome in Siena Square! :woo:
    http://www.ilmessaggero.it/articolo.php?id=105472

No much fun though as Italy is out now and probably not many Italians will be there for the next games. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnni)
    USA v Ghana build-up. :awesome:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.