Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Q:does anyone here use Clinically Orientated Anatomy, the textbook? Is it any good? especially in comparison to Gray's. I found the latter to be a bit empty if that makes any sense...

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at the textbook recommendations page on the wiki. It can be quite useful.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15052636

Thoughts? I don't think I've spent enough time in hospital to comment but would be interested in hearing some opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    Q:does anyone here use Clinically Orientated Anatomy, the textbook? Is it any good? especially in comparison to Gray's. I found the latter to be a bit empty if that makes any sense...
    yeah I'm planning to buy it as soon as my current loaned copy runs out actually. The clinical boxes are great for maintaining interest in what can be a pretty dry topic, and sometimes actually contribute to understanding of the anatomy itself. seems to be the book most people on my course use.

ReputationRep:
    Get yourself a copy of 'Actland's Anatomy DVDs' . Your library might have the physical DVDs or you can 'find' them online. I learned all my anatomy through these!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisismycatch22)
    yeah I'm planning to buy it as soon as my current loaned copy runs out actually. The clinical boxes are great for maintaining interest in what can be a pretty dry topic, and sometimes actually contribute to understanding of the anatomy itself. seems to be the book most people on my course use.
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Have a look at the textbook recommendations page on the wiki. It can be quite useful.
    Hmm. Most people on my course seem to be buying Gray's for Gray's sake. Apparently Essential Clinical Anatomy, as advertised by our university, is a condensed form of COA, but I don't know it that well. But yeah, I think I may get COA.

I was looking through the wiki a few days ago but forgot it. Thought there wasn't much opinion on COA, whereas it was ECA that was the sparse one. My bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tech)

Thoughts? I don't think I've spent enough time in hospital to comment but would be interested in hearing some opinions.
    It's not a bad idea, many patients, particularly the young and the elderly (although not the most badly demented) react well to being looked after by their loved ones.

However, it's entirely unworkable since remarkably few people have the wherewithal to care for their loved ones in a familiar environment where they have access to whatever they need. In hospital, with food in locked kitchens and pyjamas in linen stores the challenges multiply and it would likely put even more pressure on nurses who would have to provide structure and guidance for these 'caring' visits.

What's more, it would load the wards with hundreds more visitors who feel even more at ease to come and go as they please demanding attention and precious time whenever it suits them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tech)

this is a ****ing farce, the head of the RCN, who is meant to be responsible for nursing training and care, yesterday publised an article bemoaning the lack of care in nursing, and then today effectively says we'll let families do it. What then Is the point in the RCN? Total and absolute abdication of responsibility. This would never have been thought of even 5 years ago. This is the downward spiral of healthcare. The solution Is not to wash your hands, but to usefully reform nurse training and get more nurses on the ground. Otherwise he's just another useless jobsworth.

ReputationRep:
    When did the forum search get so **** and useless?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    When did the forum search get so **** and useless?
    The recent site upgrade meant it had to reindex itself earlier this week, and it's taking a while to get back to normal

ReputationRep:
    I prefer it to Gray's massively, but our anatomy course is kind of built around COA so having access to the blue boxes is the easiest way to pass the exam.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Just invested in the Anatomy colouring book so will now invest in some colouring crayons (feeling dangerously close to being a QM student there!)

That aside bit apprehensive about PBLs... from the example they gave us last week there seems to be a lot of assumed knowledge which I simply don't have yet and my group seem really keen... we already have a load of articles to consider for the posters and I'm yet to do **** all..

I want to pull my weight but it's too soon.. need to learn a bit of medicine first :sigh:

Or maybe I'm slacking before the first proper lecture starts...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    Just invested in the Anatomy colouring book so will now invest in some colouring crayons (feeling dangerously close to being a QM student there!)

That aside bit apprehensive about PBLs... from the example they gave us last week there seems to be a lot of assumed knowledge which I simply don't have yet and my group seem really keen... we already have a load of articles to consider for the posters and I'm yet to do **** all..

I want to pull my weight but it's too soon.. need to learn a bit of medicine first :sigh:

Or maybe I'm slacking before the first proper lecture starts...
    The keenness is all a façade, everybody is equally clueless in the first couple of weeks.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    The keenness is all a façade, everybody is equally clueless in the first couple of weeks.
    I was hoping that to be true

Just trying to make sure I don't fall too far behind the pack so soon! :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    RE: what you say about specialty training.

Do you mean they take more note of your exam scores/year rank/etc or that they're interested in extra degrees/research published/etc?
    Maybe not neccesarily specific quartiles, but including known rankings and any exam prizes/distinctions bolster your CV in addition to any degrees, research etc. Take this guy for instance....

Also, which specialties are you thinking of when you say certain fields?
    I was thinking the medical ones predominantly, although evidence of good academic ability will rarely hurt you in other specialities (except Orthopaedics of course.... )

ReputationRep:
    Eurgh. So much to learn

ReputationRep:
    I started neuro BSc today

Bleurgh. So much to understand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzcat)

Trying to write a presentation about acute pain management in pancreatitis with special regards to renal impairment. I literally don't have a clue what I'm doing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    Trying to write a presentation about acute pain management in pancreatitis with special regards to renal impairment. I literally don't have a clue what I'm doing
    Oh yes of course, the management of acute pain in renally impaired patients... I remember that sentence from somewhere but have very little understanding of the constitutive words or their meaning :C good luck!

http://matt.might.net/articles/phd-school-in-pictures/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzcat)

I need and easy bsc I feel...when do we have to pick?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.