Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzcat)
    I started neuro BSc today

Bleurgh. So much to understand

simples.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't have any time! Into the medical school at 8:15 this morning, home with the shopping at 6:30, an hour working out in the garage with my housemate, shower, email my tutor, check TSR for 5 minutes, dinner, pre-lash at mate's, out. None of those things have more than 5 minutes between them.

Year 2 is already busier than last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tech)

simples.
    Or if that's too complex:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    Maybe not neccesarily specific quartiles, but including known rankings and any exam prizes/distinctions bolster your CV in addition to any degrees, research etc. Take this guy for instance....
    Just had a look and wow, that's impressive. My CV in comparison looks like a gaping black hole...

But I'm very very happy that academic foundation programme applications are being moved to 5th year so you can apply to both foundation programmes at the same time ths giving more time for research from iBSc's to get published.

(I'm a little confused though, did that person do an MA before Medicine? or am I being silly and misreading something)

ReputationRep:
    Had a tough first day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    Just invested in the Anatomy colouring book so will now invest in some colouring crayons (feeling dangerously close to being a QM student there!)

That aside bit apprehensive about PBLs... from the example they gave us last week there seems to be a lot of assumed knowledge which I simply don't have yet and my group seem really keen... we already have a load of articles to consider for the posters and I'm yet to do **** all..

I want to pull my weight but it's too soon.. need to learn a bit of medicine first :sigh:

Or maybe I'm slacking before the first proper lecture starts...
    Whatever you do... do not buy Marieb (the book they'll keep telling you to buy) since it's beyond useless

You'll probably find PBL rather difficult at first, particularly if you have graduates in your group since they seem to know everything but eventually you'll get the hang of it. Also FunMed is quite a bit harder to have PBL in since the lectures aren't so related to the scenario (at least for us they weren't). Just get through these nine weeks and thing's should get easier since lectures basically give you the majority of the info :p:

Posters usually get done like a week or two before presentation :ninja:

Hang in there

ReputationRep:
    On another note, QM administration are beyond useless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FFCrusader)
    On another note, QM administration are beyond useless
    Nothing changes.

(Although I'm yet to find a medic that speaks highly of the ****ing registry at their school, parent uni or hossie)

ReputationRep:
    (except Orthopaedics of course.... )
    Much as they revel in being thick, drill monkeys, because ortho is so competitive they have become particularly academic, almost all their SpRs will have masters and a large proportion of the consultants appointed over the last few years have doctorates.

ReputationRep:
    Today I spent one hour synthesising bruises and blood and skin from food colouring, laxatives, starch, vaseline and make up...

...case was, "What might happen if a person carrying a cup of coffee tripped and fell on the road?" Then we got given a crossword.

...can only be PBL :awesome:

EDIT: medicine is easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    (Although I'm yet to find a medic that speaks highly of the ****ing registry at their school, parent uni or hossie)
    Hold on a moment..! Ours were excellent.

Although the office's earnest-ness to reunite lost property did induce some hysterics in the run up to finals when we had an email about a lilt bottle left there. :giggle: Lilt-bottle-gate.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by FFCrusader)
    Whatever you do... [SIZE="3"]do not[/SIZE] buy Marieb (the book they'll keep telling you to buy) since it's beyond useless

You'll probably find PBL rather difficult at first, particularly if you have graduates in your group since they seem to know everything but eventually you'll get the hang of it. Also FunMed is quite a bit harder to have PBL in since the lectures aren't so related to the scenario (at least for us they weren't). Just get through these nine weeks and thing's should get easier since lectures basically give you the majority of the info :p:

Posters usually get done like a week or two before presentation :ninja:

Hang in there
    I have absolutely no intention of buying that book or their combo they offer... they might have bought the lecturer with that but I will stick to stuff that is useful after year 1 as well..

Think I'll have to give Digitalis' thread of textbooks a read :yep:

Yeah think there are 3 grads in my PBL group atm.. so I will have no shame it not knowing as much as them.. I'll just get better

Still need to find you irl..

Thanks for the advice btw.. I certainly won't be giving up :noway:

ReputationRep:
    hated every moment of pbl...without sounding sexist, the girls would always chat so much crap and contribute useless rubbish. SO glad those days are over!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iceman_jondoe)
    hated every moment of pbl...without sounding sexist, the girls would always chat so much crap and contribute useless rubbish. SO glad those days are over!
    Didn't really work.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe not neccesarily specific quartiles, but including known rankings and any exam prizes/distinctions bolster your CV in addition to any degrees, research etc. Take this guy for instance....

I was thinking the medical ones predominantly, although evidence of good academic ability will rarely hurt you in other specialities (except Orthopaedics of course.... )
    Bloody hell. That guy clearly had no life at medical school i mean jeez. All i will ahve is a lousy BMBS and hours and hours of playimg call of duty beat that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Didn't really work.
    meh...perhaps i should have said without sound too sexist lol

ReputationRep:
    was I so annoying when I was a first year? Surely not. They just won't keep quiet in the library and are all so keen :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iceman_jondoe)
    without being sexist, I'm finding a reoccuring trend of the guys in my PBL groups being arrogant know it alls

I am joking. My PBL groups have on the whole been pretty great. This one seems good too and lots of people up for PBL nights out :yy: (sometimes you get the groups full of real keenos who look at you with judgement in their eyes when you come in hungover)

with regards to "clearly had no life" the assumption that you can't do well & get involved in things and have a life does generally irk me.. I do well & get involved in things & yet drink as hard as the next medic..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzcat)
    I started neuro BSc today

Bleurgh. So much to understand
    Brave! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    was I so annoying when I was a first year? Surely not. They just won't keep quiet in the library and are all so keen :p:
    After every lecture nearly all 200 of us rush into the library to borrow the recommended reading textbooks mentioned in passing by the lecturer--of which there are only 10 or so. It's like a more passive-aggressive version of Gladiators...with the prize being knowledge!

Spoiler:
    Show
    not to mention you can only borrow the High Use Books for three hours...but sometimes there's usually one copy of the book that's been incorrectly labelled as being allowed to be taken out for 1 week. these are our golden tickets that we all try to find

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2012
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.