Is Scottish independence a 'good or bad' thing? Watch

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country?
YES (299)
32.12%
NO (632)
67.88%
This discussion is closed.
King Kebab
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Midlander)
It is these people who make the Yes campaign something I just can't vote for. Granted they distance themselves from extreme groups but the Yes newsletter that comes through my door still exploits common misconceptions about England.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What does it say in the Yes campaign newsletter about England?
Midlander
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by King Kebab)
There is absolutely no evidence for this

Really, most Scottish people I know don't even no who Longshanks was
Crimes against members of one in the other country will help there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What does it say in the Yes campaign newsletter about England?
That we are friends of Scotland but we have a tendency to vote Tory. This was from a few weeks back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 1tartanarmy)
Most does not equal more than half. Most means that highest number of people voting a particular party. Since when does most mean it has to be over 50%? I'll tell you when...since never!
You should look at a dictionary. A majority is more than 50% (or most), a plurality is a relative majority where the actual support is less that 50% (and, of course, not most).
1tartanarmy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You are insane.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hahahah

Most does not means it has to be more than half! Are you trolling!?!?!

Definition of most: the greater number

Does not say : the greater number as long as its over 50%.

You are mental.
1tartanarmy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is these people who make the Yes campaign something I just can't vote for. Granted they distance themselves from extreme groups but the Yes newsletter that comes through my door still exploits common misconceptions about England.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have 15 yes letters with me right now. NONE use the word England on them....
King Kebab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Crimes against members of one in the other country will help there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not really. Even if there was a higher crime rate on English people by Scottish people than the other way around (which I doubt), it would not be a causation argument as it may only be a correlation. There are other factors which contribute to crime such as economics, poverty, location etc
King Kebab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That we are friends of Scotland but we have a tendency to vote Tory. This was from a few weeks back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
May I ask what paper you read this in?
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
May I ask what paper you read this in?
The Yes campaign newsletter. Don't have it on me right now but will get you the print date when I can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
1tartanarmy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
That isn't exactly a misconception, Scotland does tend to vote left wing more in general.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hahahah

Most does not means it has to be more than half! Are you trolling!?!?!

Definition of most: the greater number

Does not say : the greater number as long as its over 50%.

You are mental.
The greater number of Scots did not vote SNP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
King Kebab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Yes campaign newsletter. Don't have it on me right now but will get you the print date when I can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem

If they did say that then it is regrettable

I have said from the start that I hate negative campaigning

It does not mean that the majority of people who support Scottish Independence have an issue with English people though
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That isn't exactly a misconception, Scotland does tend to vote left wing more in general.
The comment wasn't about Scottish voting tendencies. Sometimes the party I want isn't elected-I accept that and so should other voters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
1tartanarmy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The greater number of Scots did not vote SNP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The greater number of scots voted SNP compared to any other individual political party.

The greater number of scots did NOT vote tory compared to any other individual political party.

Yet David Scameron is still the prime minister reposnible for Scotland. You are being silly now. You are being misleading. You are doing what the no campaign do. Mislead...and lie.

Posted from TSR Mobile
1tartanarmy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The comment wasn't about Scottish voting tendencies. Sometimes the party I want isn't elected-I accept that and so should other voters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How can a comment comparing how Scotland votes to England not be about Scottish voting tendancies?

Scotland vote has only changed the outcome something like twice in decades. I know how democracy works! Thats why I want it for Scotland!

Posted from TSR Mobile
King Kebab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You are being misleading. You are doing what the no campaign do. Mislead...and lie.Posted from TSR Mobile
Both sides do this.
1tartanarmy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Both sides do this.
I disagree with that.

Both sides mislead, one more than another.

Only the No campaign have been caught lying. See Margaret thatchers documents that were hidden for years. The No campaign denied their existence, they were then found to exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
King Kebab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I disagree with that.

Both sides mislead, one more than another.

Only the No campaign have been caught lying. See Margaret thatchers documents that were hidden for years. The No campaign denied there existence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Politicians are on both sides. Without sounding patronizing to yourself, all politicians lie.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The greater number of scots voted SNP compared to any other individual political party.

The greater number of scots did NOT vote tory compared to any other individual political party.

Yet David Scameron is still the prime minister reposnible for Scotland. You are being silly now. You are being misleading. You are doing what the no campaign do. Mislead...and lie.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So what!

Greater London, with a population 50% greater than Scotland and a GDP 30% greater than that of Scotland, though with only 23% more MPs, didn't get the government it voted for either. Are you suggesting it should go for independence too?
1tartanarmy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
So what!

Greater London, with a population 50% greater than Scotland and a GDP 30% greater than that of Scotland, though with only 23% more MPs, didn't get the government it voted for either. Are you suggesting it should go for independence too?
What has GDP got to do with this? I'm sure you are not suggesting that having a higher GDP (if thats even true) means you should somehow have more of a say. Why mention GDP?

Well if it wants to yeh! All they have to do is form a party that will fight for a greater london government with devolved powers, then vote a party into power that promises a referendum on greater londons independence, then get a majority in a system designed to prevent it! If it can gather support for that then go for it haha!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
4.26%
They might tell the bully (5)
10.64%
I don't think they'd understand (9)
19.15%
It might lead to more bullying (17)
36.17%
There's nothing they could do (14)
29.79%

Watched Threads