Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Describe The Person Above You Generation X Watch

• View Poll Results: [MULTIPLE VOTES ALLOWED!!] Who would you like to meet face to face?
    This Honest
    41.67%
    The Epicurean
    20.83%
    Ranbow99
    25.00%
    L'Evil Fish
    37.50%
    Olympiad
    29.17%
    Malevolent
    37.50%
    Boumavilla
    12.50%
    ZRO
    29.17%
    Stevo F
    20.83%
    The Mad Dog
    12.50%
    Simran Mars Foster
    12.50%
    Beeninetytwo
    25.00%
    ipoop
    33.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)
    I think it's a ridiculous thing to call them "African Americans", racism/racial tension in the USA is already poor and this doesn't help it at all. Why aren't the white Americans called "European American"? Asians, I believ, they call them Asian/Oriental American. It seems like they really have a huge bane in their mind. I've witnessed it here also, but to the extent of America. Why not a simple "American" or "American with African/European/Asian" descent. After all, I believe our common ancestor can be be traced back to Africa. I'm not saying it's the main reason for racial tension/segregation in the states but, getting rid of this might help a bit.

Honestly, you have no idea how the term "African American" pisses me off :indiff: They ****ing aren't American, they have generations stretching way back that lived in American, some probably couldn't tell the difference between Niger and Nigeria, or RD Congo and Congo

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol, glad I am not tthe only person who hates the term :mmm: But many black people in America are quite proud to call themselves African American, whereas I imagine quite a number of Black British people would be quite offended if you called them African British >_<
    The fact is that many black people in America have lived in America for longer than many white people, yet the black people are still referred to as being 'African'

I think Smokey Robinson gets it spot on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    Lol, glad I am not tthe only person who hates the term :mmm: But many black people in America are quite proud to call themselves African American, whereas I imagine quite a number of Black British people would be quite offended if you called them African British >_<
    The fact is that many black people in America have lived in America for longer than many white people, yet the black people are still referred to as being 'African'

I think Smokey Robinson gets it spot on

African British just sounds wrong, I've heard British Muslim a lot, even though they are noting their religion, I think it's closer to race or perhaps equally both :holmes: That man speaks the gospel truth, I thought you said you had no interest in poetry :pierre:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)
    African British just sounds wrong, I've heard British Muslim a lot, even though they are noting their religion, I think it's closer to race or perhaps equally both :holmes: That man speaks the gospel truth, I thought you said you had no interest in poetry :pierre:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha, I know right :mmm: British muslim is often used more to refer to race hence why criticising Islam often gets one branded a racist :rolleyes:

I have little interest in poetry. But what can be classed as poetry is vague. That video is of Spoken Word which can in some senses be differentiated from poetry. But I have never stated I hated all poems as there are some I do admit to liking, but in general, I am not much a fan of poetry.

Do you like poetry? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    ^ Seems familiar and doesn't fancy poetry as much as i do

ReputationRep:
    ^ likes poetry? I don't see the fascination...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    Haha, I know right :mmm: British muslim is often used more to refer to race hence why criticising Islam often gets one branded a racist :rolleyes:

I have little interest in poetry. But what can be classed as poetry is vague. That video is of Spoken Word which can in some senses be differentiated from poetry. But I have never stated I hated all poems as there are some I do admit to liking, but in general, I am not much a fan of poetry.

Do you like poetry? :holmes:
    Oh yea, one cannot comment on the Muhslims I too have little interest in poetry, it fails to move me :dontknow: I've read many poems by Wilde and big Shake but I don't perhaps grasp it :dontknow: I don't want to say it's boring, because it is great literature but just not for me :holmes: I do get better enjoyment when delivered verbally, and passionately :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm Muslim:ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    I'm Muslim:ahee:
    But ate you a Muhslim/Moslim? :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)
    But ate you a Muhslim/Moslim? :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Je ne sais pas...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)
    Oh yea, one cannot comment on the Muhslims I too have little interest in poetry, it fails to move me :dontknow: I've read many poems by Wilde and big Shake but I don't perhaps grasp it :dontknow: I don't want to say it's boring, because it is great literature but just not for me :holmes: I do get better enjoyment when delivered verbally, and passionately :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have noticed one of two things on TSR. Criticise Christianity, get uber rep, criticise Islam, get uber neg rep. Although thankfully that has started to change somewhat in past few months.

I always find poetry difficult to read and also it fails to move me as well. Who is big Shake? :holmes:
    I have to agree that when spoken with enthusiasm and passion, poetry can sound a lot better :yep: For example, if you try and read Shakespear, it just sounds horrible, whereas when spoken in a play, it sounds a lot better. But that said, I still can't understand Shakespear and am not a fan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boumavilla)
    It's fine.
    That sounds like some sort of unhealthy obsession! :mmm:
    I haven't celebrated, no. :sad: Seeing as I'm only half way through at school we don't want to do anything too much...although we are getting pissed together in July.

Aww Bee. :jumphug:
    You have us though, bbz. :sexface: Not forgetting you are wife to le ipoop himself. :sexface:
    I haven't had a partner for some time myself. :sadnod: But at least we can enjoy our freedom.
    Atm I can't decide where EXACTLY to go for uni, I have a shortlist though.
    It's only slightly obsessive :innocent:
    How old are you? :ninja:
    When do you have to decide where you want to go by?

Spoiler:
    Show
    I know that doesn't quite make sense but I don't know how else to word it

(Original post by Malevolent)
    Beenine! :hugs:

how are you?
    Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!! :jumphug:

I are good fanks :ahee: How're you? Up to anything nice this weekend? :fluffy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beeninetytwo)

Spoiler:
    Show

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!! :jumphug:

I are good fanks :ahee: How're you? Up to anything nice this weekend? :fluffy:
    Hey Beenie I'm okay thanks. Just going out with a girl on Sunday how about you?

ReputationRep:
    ^^a wild Bee appeared :mmm:

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    How old do you think? :sexface:
    I'm 17, hence why I'm looking at unis that I will be applying for next year. :yep:
    I have to apply to them all by early October, so I have to decide well before! :sadnod:

Did you go to uni? :ninja:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I feel as though I found out before, sorry if I asked before then forgot... :ninja:

I trust you're having a spiffing weekend? :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    ^is applying for medicine/oxbridge? :adore:

ReputationRep:
    ^ is wrong :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Hey Beenie I'm okay thanks. Just going out with a girl on Sunday how about you?
    A girl? :teeth: Is this a date? :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm: Is she pretty? :daydreaming:

Hope it goes well :yep:

(Original post by Stevo F)
    ^^a wild Bee appeared :mmm:
    Buzzzzzzz :pierre:

How old do you think? :sexface:
    Old enough :perv:
    I'm 17, hence why I'm looking at unis that I will be applying for next year. :yep:
    I have to apply to them all by early October, so I have to decide well before! :sadnod:
    o i c :yep:

Did you go to uni? :ninja:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I feel as though I found out before, sorry if I asked before then forgot... :ninja:
    You did find out before :mmm: Nope :nah: Not yet anyway:moon:

I trust you're having a spiffing weekend? :sexface:
    Meh. S'alright :dontknow: I want to go out :sad:

ReputationRep:
    ^ is stating hes wrong.

Hope it goes well :yep:

Old enough :perv:
    o i c :yep:

You did find out before :mmm: Nope :nah: Not yet anyway:moon:

Its you silly remember ? :ahee:

I bet you're 22

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    ^ is wrong :ahee:
    If I'm wrong then he wouldn't have to apply by early October :hmmm:

You jeljel? :lol:

I'll take you out Bee Tomorrow at 6? :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    ^ Still thinks he's right :teehee:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.