The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kpwxx
Yes, actually I'm just coming to the end of my NQT year (2 and a half weeks left!). Just had 2 and a half days off ill, first time off all year... I finally succumbed to the flu :frown:

And thanks, the PGCE was an awesome year and although it was incredibly hard work I do look back on it with very fond memories :smile: and love catching up with friends and tutors from the course.

xxx

Aw that's so great to hear! Well done! Hope you feel better soon. That is definitely reassuring for 'cutebat' and I. My family are always asking if I've heard from the Uni yet which makes me panic more lol. Thanks for all your help x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elb1992
I wasn't going to as I don't have amazing access to any journals and haven't bought books yet. Are you? I'm worried because it says "feedback session" for the essay on the timetable so sounds like they are expecting most to do it?

Where you are coming from? I'm nervous about placement as I'm commuting from manchester and they said they'd try and get as close as they can for me but I'm worrying! X

yeah im going to attempt at least! Il just have to see what books my library has to offer (not hopeful haha) ive moved back in with my parents to do this course because they live in Warrington and the early years campus is there too, i am worried about distance to placements though because i don't drive! Hope they let us organise our own if we can ive got one school who said they would have me in my second placement but i bet uni will be difficult about it! X
Original post by elb1992
Hi. Sorry I didn't see this reply until now. I'm doing primary. You? Have you just got that email? I'm in two minds whether to go on this residential. I can't wait either. I'm so scared though. Literally know no one haha. I've also been looking for groups on fb and here haha xx

I'm doing primary too!
Yeah I was the same but I'm definitely going to go, if anything just to get to know some people and I love that kind of thing anyway!
I don't know anyone either, we will have to find each other on the induction day!
Original post by lauramcintosh88
I'm doing primary too!
Yeah I was the same but I'm definitely going to go, if anything just to get to know some people and I love that kind of thing anyway!
I don't know anyone either, we will have to find each other on the induction day!

I was thinking that. Also, we start uni on the 3rd so I'm guessing there won't be uni on the 4th/5th if people are on this residential? Sounds like a laugh it's just scary to go with loads of people I've never met haha. Yeah sure. Will have to find you on Facebook or something :smile: have you done this voluntary essay?
Original post by elb1992
I was thinking that. Also, we start uni on the 3rd so I'm guessing there won't be uni on the 4th/5th if people are on this residential? Sounds like a laugh it's just scary to go with loads of people I've never met haha. Yeah sure. Will have to find you on Facebook or something :smile: have you done this voluntary essay?

Yeah I was thinking that myself! Hopefully they will explain properly on the induction day but I'm guessing we won't start properly until the following Monday?! What's your full name I'll add you on Facebook. Nope not yet, didn't it say somewhere that they will give us extra guidance for it on the induction day? I was going to wait until then! I'm definitely going to give it a go though!
Yeah I was thinking that myself! Hopefully they will explain properly on the induction day but I'm guessing we won't start properly until the following Monday?! What's your full name I'll add you on Facebook. Nope not yet, didn't it say somewhere that they will give us extra guidance for it on the induction day? I was going to wait until then! I'm definitely going to give it a go though!

I've just reread the email and it does say that, I had a panic on thinking we had to do the essay by the Thursday! I just hope we get more info on placements and when they are. because I live quite far away if they can't guarantee a placement somewhere outside of Chester I may need to look into finding my own second placement as I've been told by friends it'll be really intense and the less travel the better. And it's emmalouise burrows :smile:
Original post by elb1992
I've just reread the email and it does say that, I had a panic on thinking we had to do the essay by the Thursday! I just hope we get more info on placements and when they are. because I live quite far away if they can't guarantee a placement somewhere outside of Chester I may need to look into finding my own second placement as I've been told by friends it'll be really intense and the less travel the better. And it's emmalouise burrows :smile:

I think we have to give it in on the first day! Yeah same, I'd really like to know where I'm going to be placed. Hopefully they take that into account when they find us a school. This year is going to be stressful enough as it is by the sounds of it! I have added you I think!
I think we have to give it in on the first day! Yeah same, I'd really like to know where I'm going to be placed. Hopefully they take that into account when they find us a school. This year is going to be stressful enough as it is by the sounds of it! I have added you I think!

They said on my interview they would. But I know how difficult schools can be! Erm. I haven't had a request. It's all one word emmalouise and if it helps the picture is of me and my boyfriend. He's got shades on in it haha.
Original post by elb1992
They said on my interview they would. But I know how difficult schools can be! Erm. I haven't had a request. It's all one word emmalouise and if it helps the picture is of me and my boyfriend. He's got shades on in it haha.

Yeah I know what you mean. Haha yeah it's definitely you I've requested! It says pending. Try adding me Laura Geraldine McIntosh.
I've had an interview offer from Keele for PGCE Computing so that's really exciting - it's the uni my partner works at so it would be incredibly convenient as I'm based in that area. Only issue is the lack of observation days - I have four days with five classes each day from year 7 through to the A Level students but obviously that isn't getting me past the ten day requirement.

The school I was due to observe in cancelled on me stating a change in their policy and it happened so late that nowhere else will have me at this time of year. I've been offered observation days in September but that might be too late for the uni to accept :frown:
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I've had an interview offer from Keele for PGCE Computing so that's really exciting - it's the uni my partner works at so it would be incredibly convenient as I'm based in that area. Only issue is the lack of observation days - I have four days with five classes each day from year 7 through to the A Level students but obviously that isn't getting me past the ten day requirement.

The school I was due to observe in cancelled on me stating a change in their policy and it happened so late that nowhere else will have me at this time of year. I've been offered observation days in September but that might be too late for the uni to accept :frown:

Explain the situation to Keele and see what they say- they may give you a conditional offer.

Also, go in person to all schools you can and explain fully that you've been offered an interview and your experience canceled on you and you might be lucky and have someone take pity on you, especially if you explain you're happy to do all the end of term jobs that come up!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got an upcoming interview for PGCE Computing also (different university). I worked as a TA for 12 months a few years ago, however I haven't had any observation days recently, and am finding schools aren't interested as it's near the end of term.

I'm sure my lack of recent days in school is going to be a talking point at the interview. We'll see! Best of luck with the interview. :smile:
Original post by kpwxx
Explain the situation to Keele and see what they say- they may give you a conditional offer.

Also, go in person to all schools you can and explain fully that you've been offered an interview and your experience canceled on you and you might be lucky and have someone take pity on you, especially if you explain you're happy to do all the end of term jobs that come up!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've tried everywhere and nobody wants anything at the moment. I've offered to do everything they need doing but they're all just too busy. Most have said they're more than happy to have me from the start of term so if the worst happens I'll just apply early for next year instead and put this year down to experience.

Original post by TargetPoint
I've got an upcoming interview for PGCE Computing also (different university). I worked as a TA for 12 months a few years ago, however I haven't had any observation days recently, and am finding schools aren't interested as it's near the end of term.

I'm sure my lack of recent days in school is going to be a talking point at the interview. We'll see! Best of luck with the interview. :smile:

I've worked as a TA as part of Keele's widening participation stuff plus I was a peer mentor to the few pupils at the same time but that was years ago. I've done a lot of other stuff like being a team leader for the national citizen service for two years supervising 15-18 year olds so I'm hoping they'll just give me the chance to complete the observations in September. My two other uni choices have either no mention of the ten required days (and I graduated from there) or a recommendation of doing some days but no solid requirement. It's just fingers crossed for now. At least the days I did do were full days so I saw fifteen 75 minute long classes and I stayed late in the evenings to help with activities too.

Good luck with your interview! What area are you applying in? I'm mostly the midlands but I'll move if I have to. If I don't get in this year there's a job that looks really interesting at Keele that I'm going to apply for.

I've worked as a TA as part of Keele's widening participation stuff plus I was a peer mentor to the few pupils at the same time but that was years ago. I've done a lot of other stuff like being a team leader for the national citizen service for two years supervising 15-18 year olds so I'm hoping they'll just give me the chance to complete the observations in September. My two other uni choices have either no mention of the ten required days (and I graduated from there) or a recommendation of doing some days but no solid requirement. It's just fingers crossed for now. At least the days I did do were full days so I saw fifteen 75 minute long classes and I stayed late in the evenings to help with activities too.

Good luck with your interview! What area are you applying in? I'm mostly the midlands but I'll move if I have to. If I don't get in this year there's a job that looks really interesting at Keele that I'm going to apply for.

I am applying for London only - my first choice is IoE. Their website doesn't state observation days as an entry requirement, just that they're keen on applicants having recent experience as a TA or similar.

I'm going into the interview hoping for the best, with an understanding that it's possible they'll turn around and say I don't have enough experience, or that I need to complete an SKE (too late this year now).

Worst case scenario - I'll apply for 2015 intake and spend the year getting experience, and getting up-to-speed with the new curriculum. :smile:
Original post by TargetPoint
I am applying for London only - my first choice is IoE. Their website doesn't state observation days as an entry requirement, just that they're keen on applicants having recent experience as a TA or similar.

I'm going into the interview hoping for the best, with an understanding that it's possible they'll turn around and say I don't have enough experience, or that I need to complete an SKE (too late this year now).

Worst case scenario - I'll apply for 2015 intake and spend the year getting experience, and getting up-to-speed with the new curriculum. :smile:

I'm doing lots of voluntary stuff at the moment so continuing with that and getting plenty of school experience around a part time job is my plan. Fingers crossed that we both make it in this year! I'm waiting to hear back from Staffordshire Uni and Nottingham Trent at the moment.
Well I was well and truly expecting to have to reapply next year after losing my offer at the SCITT, but I've been offered an interview at Durham University! It's on Monday morning and I only found out on Friday night so I'm panicking a bit, haha. But I'm thrilled to get another chance. :smile: I haven't told anyone I know because I'm terrified of not getting it. Hopefully I'll be able to surprise everyone with another offer! :wink:
Original post by alabelle
Well I was well and truly expecting to have to reapply next year after losing my offer at the SCITT, but I've been offered an interview at Durham University! It's on Monday morning and I only found out on Friday night so I'm panicking a bit, haha. But I'm thrilled to get another chance. :smile: I haven't told anyone I know because I'm terrified of not getting it. Hopefully I'll be able to surprise everyone with another offer! :wink:

Good luck!! I have everything crossed for you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by womanonamission
Good luck!! I have everything crossed for you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks very much! Need all the luck I can get right now. :smile:
Original post by alabelle

That is fantastic news!! Wish you all the luck. Please let us know how it goes. :smile: xx
Best of luck to all those with upcoming interviews and applications. :smile:

I had an interview at IoE last week. Only 4 of us turned up out of 8/9. They have 6 places left. The interview was very relaxed. The 1-1 interview consisted of just going over our application. No questions about why you wanted to teach etc. The only part of the day that I let myself down on was the presentation, as the person before me did a great presentation, and I got nervous as a result, which showed. Shaky hands, crackling voice, scribbling handwriting on the flip board, and I ended before the time was up. Was kicking myself afterwards.

They said they'll let us know by Wednesday. I'm not expecting an offer, but am keeping my fingers crossed none-the-less. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending