Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenAssirati)
    People are moaning about Wenger having a new contract? He has been one of the most stable managers of all time, in any league, and the FA Cup this year shows he can still win trophies, thus justifying his new contract. He has arguably the best club setup, spending very little (comparatively), using a relatively large amount of youth team players, and developing some world class players (which he chooses to sell on, unfortunately). Given the blank cheque and pressure of an entire fanbase, he will most likely improve the squad this season, and if they have fewer injuries this year, then they can challenge for the FA Cup and Premier League.
    I admire Wenger but let's admit it, he's mediocre now.... Unless you guys spend proper gwop you ain't competiting next season. Chances are a key player will get injured yet again.

Need a new man, new blood.
    Winning 1 trophy in almost a decade doesn't justify a new contract, it justifies closure :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qua)
    The Di María quotes have been ripped out of context imo. In Spanish it doesn't sound like a dig at all. He's just talking about how the speculation about his commitment and whether he wants to stay or leave (e.g. for Spurs) is hurtful considering he's always given everything for the club, not that it's hurtful to be linked with *Tottenham* in particular.
    Thanks for taking the fun out of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Thanks for taking the fun out of it
    Always x
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miel Purple)
    I admire Wenger but let's admit it, he's mediocre now.... Unless you guys spend proper gwop you ain't competiting next season. Chances are a key player will get injured yet again.

Need a new man, new blood.
    Winning 1 trophy in almost a decade doesn't justify a new contract, it justifies closure :rofl2:
    He is hardly mediocre. I agree, his tactics are old and re-used, with Chelsea figuring it out circa 2005 and other teams copying them, but calling for him to leave is a tad too far. New blood? Like Moyes? That worked for United. Arsenal lead the Premier League for 120+ days, won the FA Cup, and were narrowly knocked out of the CL by Bayern Munich, I wouldn't say Arsenal are 'not competing'. As I said, with fewer injuries, a massive budget, and the promise of CL and winning cups (the prospect is there, even if it is 1 in 9 years), Arsenal should do just as well, and certainly should do better next season. Getting rid of Arsene would just cause them to implode. Why not keep Wenger, and change the training methods/medical staff, as something there is broken, not the manager.

ReputationRep:
    Great news.. hope he can get some glory in his final few years, then bow out leaving a strong set up for the next manager... (no leaving the place a mess like SAF)

Would be a shame to hear see him not have the chance to finally invest and be able to build after years without funds, and having to sell players..

- Anyone who cant see the turning point that the club made, and how its not as simple as saying '1 trophy in X years', is missing quite a lot of the picture..

ReputationRep:
    He is hardly mediocre. I agree, his tactics are old and re-used, with Chelsea figuring it out circa 2005 and other teams copying them, but calling for him to leave is a tad too far. New blood? Like Moyes? That worked for United. Arsenal lead the Premier League for 120+ days, won the FA Cup, and were narrowly knocked out of the CL by Bayern Munich, I wouldn't say Arsenal are 'not competing'. As I said, with fewer injuries, a massive budget, and the promise of CL and winning cups (the prospect is there, even if it is 1 in 9 years), Arsenal should do just as well, and certainly should do better next season. Getting rid of Arsene would just cause them to implode. Why not keep Wenger, and change the training methods/medical staff, as something there is broken, not the manager.
    Regarding your last sentence, this is something Wenger should have changed ages ago. What makes you think he'll change it now? :|

Moyes was a stupid appointment and we all know it. Plus manU players just weren't in form :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qua)
    Always x
    immediate reply, and an x off qua

game going well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Also as far as Vela goes... :

"I never felt comfortable in London and I never enjoyed it. However, when I got to Donostia (San Sebastian) I found a place where I was very happy, where I’m enjoying myself every day.
    The English game is very straightforward. Here, the difference is that there are more touches of the ball and the benefits me."
    ​Doesn't seem too keen on coming back
    Source for that quote? Different to all that he's been saying lately.

ReputationRep:
    as something there is broken, not the manager.
    Tbh finances has been a major inhibitor for us this past decade alongside with that injuries. But with finances sorted means we can now add to squad depth so that in the future these injuries won't affect our season as much as they use to.

ReputationRep:
    People are moaning about Wenger having a new contract?
    Yes

He has been one of the most stable managers of all time, in any league,
    At finishing 4th. Call the council, close the streets, its parade time! :rolleyes:

and the FA Cup this year shows he can still win trophies,
    Had City beaten Wigan, we wouldn't have even reached the final. It's a cup competition, entirely down to how you play on the day. What would show if he could still win trophies would have been the league, a sustained push with the title at the end, but we ****ed it up, more specifically he did by not purchasing anyone in January and having terrible tactics (or lack of) in the away games against the teams around us. The buck stops with him.

thus justifying his new contract.
    Hardly.

He has arguably the best club setup, spending very little (comparatively), using a relatively large amount of youth team players,
    Our setup really isn’t they great. He runs the club top to bottom, and everyone is a ****ing ‘yes man’. He has the final say on players, contracts, wages, everything and without the likes of Dein, no one at the club is prepared to challenge him so he just has the freedom to do as he pleases.

The only one in the current squad who could be classed as a ‘youth talent’ is Wilshere. He was at the club from the age of 10 and has been brought through. The likes of Szczesny, Gibbs, Ox, Ramsey are not, they are imports who we’ve just fine tuned. A finishing school essentially. As for us having a good youth setup, our U18s finished 9th in a league of 11 and our U21s, 14th out of 22. Jonker has some real work to do.

and developing some world class players (which he chooses to sell on, unfortunately).
    Not only did they leave because the club needed the money, but because they wanted to win trophies and felt it was impossible to do so under Wenger.

Given the blank cheque and pressure of an entire fanbase, he will most likely improve the squad this season,
    LOOOOL, I will believe it when I see it, at Arsenal we love to talk a big game but rarely act upon it. No one point to Ozil please, we ****ed up that window and got incredibly lucky that he was on the market last minute. And we still ****ed up because we needed a striker, which we had done for about 2 windows before then anyway, not another midfielder.

You honestly think the club care about how the fanbase feel? If that was the case, season tickets and tickets in general wouldn’t be extortionate. The club and Wenger will most likely do the bare minimum once again.

and if they have fewer injuries this year, then they can challenge for the FA Cup and Premier League.
    Fewer injuries? Lol, what we need it sufficient depth to cover those who get injured, not hoping we don’t get as many.

Dark days people, darker than that last 9 years that's for sure. I'm so angry, I'm going to bed smh! :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Source for that quote? Different to all that he's been saying lately.
    http://www.insidespanishfootball.com...ociedad-stay//

And the interview : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVtMl6zkUP0#t=49

Though I can understand if they've interpreted it wrong etc and I guess it doesn't exactly rule out an Arsenal move

ReputationRep:
    Pier Morgan's reaction was disappointing. Was hoping for a picture at the edge of the shard.

Wenger's clearly lost it, can't even bring out the worst in his enemies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    Yes

At finishing 4th. Call the council, close the streets, its parade time! :rolleyes:

Had City beaten Wigan, we wouldn't have even reached the final. It's a cup competition, entirely down to how you play on the day. What would show if he could still win trophies would have been the league, a sustained push with the title at the end, but we ****ed it up, more specifically he did by not purchasing anyone in January and having terrible tactics (or lack of) in the away games against the teams around us. The buck stops with him.

Hardly.

Our setup really isn’t they great. He runs the club top to bottom, and everyone is a ****ing ‘yes man’. He has the final say on players, contracts, wages, everything and without the likes of Dein, no one at the club is prepared to challenge him so he just has the freedom to do as he pleases.

The only one in the current squad who could be classed as a ‘youth talent’ is Wilshere. He was at the club from the age of 10 and has been brought through. The likes of Szczesny, Gibbs, Ox, Ramsey are not, they are imports who we’ve just fine tuned. A finishing school essentially. As for us having a good youth setup, our U18s finished 9th in a league of 11 and our U21s, 14th out of 22. Jonker has some real work to do.

Not only did they leave because the club needed the money, but because they wanted to win trophies and felt it was impossible to do so under Wenger.

LOOOOL, I will believe it when I see it, at Arsenal we love to talk a big game but rarely act upon it. No one point to Ozil please, we ****ed up that window and got incredibly lucky that he was on the market last minute. And we still ****ed up because we needed a striker, which we had done for about 2 windows before then anyway, not another midfielder.

You honestly think the club care about how the fanbase feel? If that was the case, season tickets and tickets in general wouldn’t be extortionate. The club and Wenger will most likely do the bare minimum once again.

Fewer injuries? Lol, what we need it sufficient depth to cover those who get injured, not hoping we don’t get as many.

Dark days people, darker than that last 9 years that's for sure. I'm so angry, I'm going to bed smh! :sad:
    Absolutely outstanding.

Peggles is the best poster on this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Absolutely outstanding.

Peggles is the best poster on this thread
    Lool, bit of a reach, wouldn't go that far!!

But I saw the news and felt like throwing my phone out of the window!

Weren;t you White Dress the other week? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who dislikes Wenger can GTFO

79 points and an FA Cup within the first year of actually having cash to spend, and people dont appreciate him?

Hope he stays until he's 80.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    Lool, bit of a reach, wouldn't go that far!!

But I saw the news and felt like throwing my phone out of the window!
    You tell the truth. There's one or two other decent posters but they have Arsenal goggles on all the time. You have Arsenal goggles too but you lack the Wenger filter, so at least you're better than them

ReputationRep:
    If only we had listened to Le Grove

http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/30/totten...squad-3942406/

genuine lol that Le Grove is convinced he knows anything about football

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Anyone who dislikes Wenger can GTFO

79 points and an FA Cup within the first year of actually having cash to spend, and people dont appreciate him?

Hope he stays until he's 80.
    Blinded by a once great man, sad.

It was set up perfectly for him to move on, but he's chosen to continue this cycle.

This cash did not appear overnight we've always had cash to spend, maybe not £100m+ or whatever, but it's been there and could have been used when we required just 1 or 2 players to push us over the line, but wasn't.

Nice way of avoiding the fact that we finished 4th with the 79 points bit there!! :lol:

Until he's 80?! Well enjoy 4th place and the occasional cup because that is all we're getting from him!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    If only we had listened to Le Grove

http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/30/totten...squad-3942406/

genuine lol that Le Grove is convinced he knows anything about football

The irony with this article is just too much to bare

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    http://www.insidespanishfootball.com...ociedad-stay//

And the interview : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVtMl6zkUP0#t=49

Though I can understand if they've interpreted it wrong etc and I guess it doesn't exactly rule out an Arsenal move
    How did you try and cheat me out of 0:00-0:08 of that video? We've got issues now.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 9, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.