Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    Emmanuel

Girton is miles away.
    Emma is a nice college

There's not much school time left, going to miss everyone when they are off to uni. What are your thoughts as we are approaching the end of our mandatory education?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.Ibrahim)
    Emma is a nice college

There's not much school time left, going to miss everyone when they are off to uni. What are your thoughts as we are approaching the end of our mandatory education?
    What colege are you thinking of applying to?

I am excited for uni but sad to leave school after 14 years so a bit of a mix of emotions.

ReputationRep:
    What colege are you thinking of applying to?

I am excited for uni but sad to leave school after 14 years so a bit of a mix of emotions.
    Churchill, though I heard really dodgy things about what BMAT score they want :lol:
    Yeah I am excited to explore the world, but then again I know I will miss everything up to that point.

ReputationRep:
    Churchill, though I heard really dodgy things about what BMAT score they want :lol:
    Yeah I am excited to explore the world, but then again I know I will miss everything up to that point.
    Churchill is definitely the ugliest college:lol:

ReputationRep:
    Churchill is definitely the ugliest college:lol:
    Yes but it's "Modern" right??? :lol: Lots of facilities, not going to lie though, not the most of prettiest of colleges.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but it's "Modern" right??? :lol: Lots of facilities, not going to lie though, not the most of prettiest of colleges.
    Haven't actually visited it though, only seen it on google images.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't actually visited it though, only seen it on google images.
    But hey, it's not about how pretty the place is, it's about the education right? I mean that's the whole point of uni or maybe its to join the rowing club like real men

ReputationRep:
    But hey, it's not about how pretty the place is, it's about the education right? I mean that's the whole point of uni or maybe its to join the rowing club like real men
    No the looks of a college are the most important thing:lol:. It even has ducks!

Attached Images

ReputationRep:

Did you not just Photoshop them in? Eitherway that's a pretty grand entrance, looks like a tourist hotspot.

ReputationRep:

That green in Emma is so nice! I also learnt how the stripy grass things worked when I was at summer school there never knew that whether the grass looks dark or light depends on which way you're looking at it from :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    UCAS Question?

Q) If on results day your firm university requires you to get AAB and you achieve ABB would you still have a chance to get in? If your Insurance choice asks for ABB and although you have ABB are set on your firm choice AAB how long would that firm university take to get back to you if they can still offer you a space based upon spaces left as wouldn't that take like a week. If so, what would you do about your insurance university offer. Would you just accept it and then decline it or just keep them waiting until your firm uni decision gets back to you?

ReputationRep:
    Did you not just Photoshop them in? Eitherway that's a pretty grand entrance, looks like a tourist hotspot.
    No:lol:

That's not the entrance, it's inside college. Not many tourists by Emma tbh they all seem to hang around King's and St. John's.
    (Original post by Bude8)
    That green in Emma is so nice! I also learnt how the stripy grass things worked when I was at summer school there never knew that whether the grass looks dark or light depends on which way you're looking at it from :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How does it work? Is it just 'brushed' (can't think of the term) in different directions.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    No:lol:

That's not the entrance, it's inside college. Not many tourists by Emma tbh they all seem to hang around King's and St. John's.

How does it work?
    It depends on the direction the blades of grass are pointing - adjacent lanes will have grass pointing in other directions. So for example, the grass in one lane is pointed at 45 degrees from horizontal and in a neighbouring lane the grass will be pointed at 135 degrees from horizontal. This changes how much light is reflected, I think, which is why we see the stripes. Out of all the colleges I've seen (maybe 3/4) Emma had the most defined stripes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    UCAS Question?

Q) If on results day your firm university requires you to get AAB and you achieve ABB would you still have a chance to get in? If your Insurance choice asks for ABB and although you have ABB are set on your firm choice AAB how long would that firm university take to get back to you if they can still offer you a space based upon spaces left as wouldn't that take like a week. If so, what would you do about your insurance university offer. Would you just accept it and then decline it or just keep them waiting until your firm uni decision gets back to you?
    Basically when you have your results if you've failed your offer go onto track
    Your decisions will either say "conditional" meaning that they haven't decided yet and you should ring up and talk to them and try and convince them to let you in basically
    Or if it says "declined/unsuccessful "they've already rejected you
    I heard of somebody getting a response from clearing two weeks later

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    It depends on the direction the blades of grass are pointing - adjacent lanes will have grass pointing in other directions. So for example, the grass in one lane is pointed at 45 degrees from horizontal and in a neighbouring lane the grass will be pointed at 135 degrees from horizontal. This changes how much light is reflected, I think, which is why we see the stripes. Out of all the colleges I've seen (maybe 3/4) Emma had the most defined stripes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How do they make the grass stay at an angle though, I've never tested the properties of grass but it's not very sturdy:lol:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    How do they make the grass stay at an angle though, I've never tested the properties of grass but it's not very sturdy:lol:.
    They use a very sticky substance (I'll leave that up to your imagination ) ask the porters, they know what I'm talking about :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Well, I stumbled about the secret to it myself. But unfortunately for you it's magic so I can't tell you otherwise it wouldn't work anymore :indiff:

Just kidding, I have no idea how they do it - perhaps they cut in one direction for every other lane, then in the opposite direction for the leftover lanes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Well, I stumbled about the secret to it myself. But unfortunately for you it's magic so I can't tell you otherwise it wouldn't work anymore :indiff:

Just kidding, I have no idea how they do it - perhaps they cut in one direction for every other lane, then in the opposite direction for the leftover lanes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah that is how they do it it's like cutting against and with the natural grain of the grass

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    UCAS Question?

rachel's answer covered this well, but in case you want a bit more detail or want to think about other scenarios this Wiki article may be helpful:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...el_results_day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelc142)
    Yeah that is how they do it it's like cutting against and with the natural grain of the grass

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Since you said that, next time I'm mowing the lawn I won't be able to help but think I'm shaving it :lol:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.