Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    John Carpenter's back!

First directed film in a decade. If it's a good, old fashioned horror this could be the perfect time for a comeback.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    - Heathers
    - The Breakfast Club
    - Sixteen Candles
    - Clueless
    - Bring It On
    - Save The Last Dance
    thanks heathers and sixteen candles look good, seen the rest except save the last dance, doesnt look that interesting..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Yeah I know : / I hate good films that I want to see more of and they just end

and yeah lol, seems a bit random... a Disney fronted cast, I think they've kinda lost the point cos it won't be as 'rude' or vulgar as the first one, it looks kinda boring tbh. The trailer's online, on youtube etc so you can see for yourself

also have you seen Not another Teen movie?
    ur right it doesnt look that great...lol I thought I recognized two of them..one of the girls have been on desperate housewives and a guy in the new 90210..nah now I dont think I will see it...

yep..it's always on tv..
    I love Alexis Bledel so I've seen sisterhoodoftravellingpants and Post Grad which actually was good

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Hey, good to see you in here. :awesome:

Same vein as in drama and science fiction, or old films?

Drama recommendations would be: 12 Angry Men, Gran Torino and Requiem for a Dream.

Science fiction recommendations: Primer, Event Horizon, Sunshine, Los Cronocrímenes and Moon.

Older science fiction films: The Fifth Element, Gattaca and Blade Runner.
    Ooh some great recommendations here. None of which I've seen so they go on the list. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    12 Angry Men and Blade Runner are the bomb.

ReputationRep:
    127 Hours tonight! :nutcase:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MizzCupcakes)
    thanks watched the trailer and it seems interesting. Though I'm a little worried that Owen Wilson is one of the writers
    Owen Wilson is a better writer than actor

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few decent movies coming on

Iron Man - http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail.asp?id=83074788
    Road to Perdition - http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail.asp?id=83078738
    Cars - http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail.asp?id=83075403
    The Incredibles - http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail.asp?id=83075404
    Never Back Down - http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail.asp?id=83082693
    The Kite Runner - http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail.asp?id=83074308
    Hot Fuzz - http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail.asp?id=83075466
    Harold and Kumar Get The Munchies - http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail.asp?id=83077609

Seen a few of them already - going to try and catch as many as I can though most of them overlap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    John Carpenter's back!

First directed film in a decade. If it's a good, old fashioned horror this could be the perfect time for a comeback.
    Ooh, thanks for the heads up, doesn't look too bad!

I once had a lecturer called John Carpenter, which I found funny, and I was shocked when nobody else knew who John Carpenter (the director) was.

(Original post by Christien)
    I'm pretty sure Lynch started the TM before even Eraserhead, but I wouldn't be surprised if he used his films as an outlet for some of his frustrations. I expect most directors do this in some way or another.

What do you mean by complete? More 'Lynchian'? It's definitely the work of a more mature director, but I wouldn't say it was necessarily a more 'complete' one in terms of narrative or structure or whatever. In fact, I'd say that's part of the point; what's missing from Mulholland Dr. contributes a lot more to the film than what's there. The whole thing hinges entirely on being *incomplete*.
    1973 he started TM. He started work on Eraserhead after joining the AFI Conservatory and he started working on it there from 1971 after getting a grant from the AFI, but it wasn't enough ($10,000) and he worked on it yearly until it was released in 1977. He has always said a few interviews that those years were incredibly tough for him.

Okay, I take back that it's the most complete Lynch movie. Inland Empire is by far the most complete Lynch movie. I would say it's his most refined though. He has always implemented a sort of film noir to his movies and even Twin Peaks, so I feel Mulholland Drive is the film where he completely pulls it off. :p:

ReputationRep:
    watching Iron Man. can't believe I'm watching this, I usually hate super-hero ****.

EDIT: if his suit is made of iron, and he's firing fire left right and centre, doesn't that mean it's going to conduct the heat and fry him.

(Original post by Phalanges)
    Hmmm, it's an interesting question.

His performances are all very recognisable, but I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. The school of transformation played by Day Lewis, Depp and Bale isn't necessarily better, it's just different. It may help to suspend your disbelief initially, but ultimately it comes down to acting skill in maintaining that disbelief. And Di Caprio definitely has skill. It's easy to criticise him in Inception and Shutter Island for seemingly being bland and unemotive, but then that's overlooking an awful lot of what he did for those films. They were both predominantly driven from his character's perspective, and if you can't empathise with that character then the film will just not be very good for you. Di Caprio has a very buttoned-down approach to acting (the complete opposite of Nicholson, for example), but he is very competent in what he does. Certainly in Shutter Island he is fantastic at pacing out the film and keeping you interested in him, which I don't think could be achieved with a lot of more showy actors. In Inception I'm less impressed by him, but I still think he's important in knitting the film together which is often overlooked.

I don't think he's particularly the best actor in the world, which he is billed as a lot now, and I'm not excited to hear he's in a film in the same way as I am by people like Depp or Spacey, but I'm certainly not disappointed either.

What do you think?

Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't think Lucy's a templar. Moreover what I thought was happening is that the Assassins planned to double-cross Desmond and kill him once they'd got what they wanted (the emails Lucy was receiving telling her not to let her feelings get in the way of what she must do made me think this). I think that it will turn out that both the assassins and the templars are pretty shady and Desmond is going to be the one who ends the war by wiping them both out. But that is purely a rambling guess.

I was always under the impression that the final game would be predominantly Desmond-based. I guess it could involve him flicking through memories to find how to access where all the artefacts were stored before then going to the places in real life, which would allow for quite a bit of location-hopping?

I'm always loathe to compare different media in their worth. I don't think any is necessarily better, they are just different. Assassin's Creed is able to engage me in a way that is difficult for films because of how much time I've invested in the story, but by the same token it's difficult to maintain an interest in the details because of all of the distractions available. If I went and spent a couple of hours in a memory doing the war machine quests and buying stuff, by the time I got back to the main quest I'd completely forgotten what was going on. This kind of meandering would be unacceptable in a story-driven film.

I enjoy them both, but I look for different things from them so I don't think they can really be compared.
    I feel Di Caprio has declined in his acting. He needs to start taking on different roles.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't think the Assassins are planning on double crossing Desmond. I think that email is connected to the one where Rebecca tells Lucy that Desmond has been screaming his sleep and which Lucy then replies that she feels overcome with guilt, but they must keep going on. She then emails that William H guy (?) who I think is the leader of the Assassins because she knows what happened to Subject 16 (another complete mystery) and so she is worried that the same may happen to Desmond. Also, I don't think Subject 16 is quite dead. Have you played The Truth video? If not, I'll let you find out. But there's a lot in that that suggests he's not dead. The other theory is that he's become a sort of ghost in the machine since he committed suicide while in the animus. Most of this is a rambling guess. I'm so glad Ubisoft went ahead with AC in the first place, it's like the LOST of video-games and it's sadly not getting the attention it deserves. The attention which games like Call of Duty is stealing (AC is still a big game after all. It is a triple A).

Also, one of the main team members said that a lot of people are attracted to the AC games because it goes back to the past and that they will be keeping in the past with a whole new ancestor. Of course, since it has been very strongly hinted that AC3 will wrap up the whole Desmond storyline (the Abstergo satellite problem etc), they will likely show Desmond becoming the ultimate assassin or something and him trying to find Eve. I bet there will also be a part in Eden, which will be awesome. Also, ACII had you flicking between different cities, there's nothing to stop Ubisoft doing this but with countries etc. However, I hope at least they take next year out to concentrate fully on AC3 and make it the mind-blowing final instalment it deserves to be.

Also, now I've finished AC:B, a movie of the game just sounds like it's more than likely to be stuck in development hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    watching Iron Man. can't believe I'm watching this, I usually hate super-hero ****.

EDIT: if his suit is made of iron, and he's firing fire left right and centre, doesn't that mean it's going to conduct the heat and fry him.
    It's not made of iron, and the repulsors aren't heat-based weapons.

Its a titanium and gold alloy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    It's not made of iron, and the repulsors aren't heat-based weapons.

(Original post by S-man10)
    Its a titanium and gold alloy
    i meant the dark grey iron-looking one he made in the cave with Yessin (?).

ReputationRep:
    Why is he called Iron Man if his suit isn't made of iron?

PS I've never seen the film or read the comic, don't flame me for asking that. I do suppose a suit made of iron would be quite heavy anyway, I'm just wondering why he's called Iron Man.

ReputationRep:
    i meant the dark grey iron-looking one he made in the cave with Yessin (?).

Fair point. He probably thought of that in some way, being an engineering genius.

(Original post by mimimimi)
    Why is he called Iron Man if his suit isn't made of iron?

PS I've never seen the film or read the comic, don't flame me for asking that. I do suppose a suit made of iron would be quite heavy anyway, I'm just wondering why he's called Iron Man.
    In his very first appearance in 1963, the suit was made of iron, so it was accurate. Then I guess the name stuck. I think of it in more of a figurative sense now - iron is a symbol of strength and invulnerability, which Iron Man embodies, in the same way that Superman is also called The Man of Steel.

ReputationRep:
    In his very first appearance in 1963, the suit was made of iron, so it was accurate. Then I guess the name stuck. I think of it in more of a figurative sense now - iron is a symbol of strength and invulnerability, which Iron Man embodies, in the same way that Superman is also called The Man of Steel.
    Ooh I see. Thanks for clearing that up. I intend to watch the film at some point, hmm. *Adds to 'to watch' list*

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing Gold-Titanium-Alloy Man isn't as catchy. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    the tourist is genius

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.