Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My view on pbl:

Well I will state first that imps does it but not too seriously.
    Personally I don't like it for the reasons wanders said plus on tue research side I find no one really uses papers and texts books and just uses wiki or emedicine or patient uk for most things.
    As for people saying facilitator should come and save the day sometimes they are good but if the pbl isn't in the specialty they tend to just have the cheat sheet. If it is there specialty you are better having it as a tutorial which is in my opinion the best way to learn really.

Those saying you don't Learn research skills outside pbl bull****. We have a mock paper in yr 2 (research) and then the Intercalated degree.
    Pbl only works well with a motivated group, facilitator that knows what they are doing and really good feedback. Even then I suspect a tutorial would confer more info.

ReputationRep:
    This BSc makes me want to cry already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    The PBL argument always seems a tad pointless to me. We just go round in circles whilst those of you who do PBL point out it's usefulness, and those of us who don't do PBL are criticised for not understanding, whilst pointing out it's flaws.
    I won't criticise (I don't think I criticised Wangers anyway) someone who logically points out its flaws having understood what it actually is. I'm not a militantly pro-PBL person, but I dislike lectures strongly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Those saying you don't Learn research skills outside pbl bull****. We have a mock paper in yr 2 (research) and then the Intercalated degree.
    Not saying PBL is the only way to gain research skills, obviously. Just saying it's a superior way to develop them than through learning lecture slides.

Pbl only works well with a motivated group, facilitator that knows what they are doing and really good feedback. Even then I suspect a tutorial would confer more info.
    I agree that tutorials and seminars are better than PBL. But I just think you get more from PBL than lectures in many cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    Leicester is part PBL and part lectures so from a student point of view: we learn far more from the groupwork than the lectures and our groupwork sessions are built on the content of the lectures however the lectures will only give us basic information and the groupwork session is there to implement the knowledge through case studies. I can't imagine doing only PBL as it's going to be very hard to know when to stop going into detail and with lectures only - you're not going to develop your problem solving skills as much as you would through the PBL groupwork. Also Leicester did try PBL only and it just didn't work so they went back to lectures. For me; I think that's the best way as you get the best of both worlds but obviously I've only ever learnt like that do very much biased
    But there aren't any* courses that do only PBL. PBL schools will still include lectures and tutorials in their teaching, it just won't be a 09:00-17:00 didactic "here's a powerpoint, go forth and memorise..."

And I agree with what you say: a mixture is probably best, I'd just prefer some dilution with the archaic concept of lectures.

*if there are, I'm not aware of them.

ReputationRep:
    We do a few hours of group work per day but it's generally lead by work books and education fellows. S'aight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    It's probably my fault for going off on a tangent! But I do agree with yoI BeccaSarah.

In other news, I haven't seen you around yet? :ninja:
    I actually thought what you said was quite interesting, having never done PBL it's not something I've ever really considered on a theoretical basis.

That would be because I'm hiding down at Mile End - made it down to BL for Toga (I still have the bruises to prove it) but nothing else just yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i'm no superman)
    This BSc makes me want to cry already.
    That bad?

ReputationRep:
    I actually thought what you said was quite interesting, having never done PBL it's not something I've ever really considered on a theoretical basis.

That would be because I'm hiding down at Mile End - made it down to BL for Toga (I still have the bruises to prove it) but nothing else just yet.
    How did that go? Any hilarious wardrobe malfunctions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    How did that go? Any hilarious wardrobe malfunctions?
    A minor incident where the entire night bus saw my bra, but I'd cleverly colour-coordinated it to my toga so I'm not sure it was that obvious

ReputationRep:
    A minor incident where the entire night bus saw my bra, but I'd cleverly colour-coordinated it to my toga so I'm not sure it was that obvious
    That's using your noggin. Togas are a risky business.

ReputationRep:
    That's using your noggin. Togas are a risky business.
    It seemed I went for the conservative option with plain white. There was some interesting fabric choice on display...

ReputationRep:
    It seemed I went for the conservative option with plain white. There was some interesting fabric choice on display...
    Can't believe someone negged this. I'm sure you looked lovely. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe someone negged this. I'm sure you looked lovely. :ahee:
    If you have me on FB, you can see me with two other TSRs looking very lovely indeed (though one of them is leaning on me to stay upright and doesn't even recall the photos being taken :tongue:)

Yeh, very odd neg

ReputationRep:
    If you have me on FB, you can see me with two other TSRs looking very lovely indeed (though one of them is leaning on me to stay upright and doesn't even recall the photos being taken :tongue:)

Yeh, very odd neg
    Is that who I think it is? D'awwwwwwwwwww. Freshers.

Is it weird if I add you?

Edit: Ah, that's who it was that negged you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    I won't criticise (I don't think I criticised Wangers anyway) someone who logically points out its flaws having understood what it actually is. I'm not a militantly pro-PBL person, but I dislike lectures strongly.
    I've seen timetables for traditional unis. When is the nap time? Nap time features very heavily in my days at the moment..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    I've seen timetables for traditional unis. When is the nap time? Nap time features very heavily in my days at the moment..
    Nap time is public health.

ReputationRep:
    Is that who I think it is? D'awwwwwwwwwww. Freshers.

Is it weird if I add you?
    If you can find me, go ahead...

ReputationRep:

Toga sounded...interesting (according to my fb homepage on Sat morning). :p: Couldn't make it as I was working all weekend. :/

I will try and pop down sometime this week during lunch to see you and FFC who also seems to have now migrated to Mile End... :shifty:

It's actually quite sad we've all been split up this year - I'm in Whitechapel with one friend doing the same bsc, ditto for FFC at Mile End, and the rest of our friends will be starting firms at different hopitals and stuff. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    Toga sounded...interesting (according to my fb homepage on Sat morning). :p: Couldn't make it as I was working all weekend. :/

I will try and pop down sometime this week during lunch to see you and FFC who also seems to have now migrated to Mile End... :shifty:

It's actually quite sad we've all been split up this year - I'm in Whitechapel with one friend doing the same bsc, ditto for FFC at Mile End, and the rest of our friends will be starting firms at different hopitals and stuff. :sad:
    I should meet you pretty soon anyway - iBSc party is next week!

Is your timetable pretty heavy or not? I have Tue, Wed, Thu off for most of this semester... (though am supposed to be fitting a dissertation project into one of those days), seems such a massive difference from being on placement 8-5 every day!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.