Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schichtoe)
    Not sure now that we're in 'silly money' range if Suarez is the best option. For £40m do you think we could convince another top player? Who fits that category?

Lewandowski? Rooney? Fabregas?

I think Liverpool need to calm down with their £50m+ estimation. With Suarez or without him, Liverpool aren't getting CL football next season (Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Everton are all better) and he is going to leave for a bigger club. The guy wants to go. Cash in. One wonders what they're smoking if they think he's going to want to kick around at a non-CL, midtable club.
    But what other top player?

Lewandowski is unlikely to leave a top European side for Arsenal, Rooney will most likely stay at United or move to Chelsea since they win trophies reguarly or even go abroad so he isn't going against United. Fabregas doesn't want to leave Barca from what I've read.

Suarez is one of the remaining great strikers who plays for a lower club (compared to Arsenal). Everyone else has already moved on eg. Cavani.

ReputationRep:
    Is Lewandowski avaliable ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrAlex95)
    His contract runs out at the end of the season, and rumours say he doesn't want to renew. But then again they are only rumours.

By the looks of it, he'd be open to a move because Dortmund wouldn't let one of their best players go down to his last year.

ReputationRep:
    £40,000,001 :rofl: I love Arsene Wenger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Messy)
    I don't think we ever wanted less tbh. The £40m figure was being mooted only by 'ITKs' iirc and that only turned out to be a 'inform the player of interest' type clause which now permits formal dialogue between the two parties (player and Arsenal); it was never a release clause as such. And atm it looks like the only way you'll get him is if you meet our own valuation and not a release clause written into his contract (if there is one) - Rodgers wants £55m ala Cavani to PSG.

I'd reluctantly settle for £45m if he really wants to go now and doesn't want to wait a year to try get CL with us, but to me £50m is fair considering that:
    You are a league rival.
    He's our most important player.
    He's only recently signed a contract extension.
    He's 26 years old.
    He's world class; and that seems to be the rate for top class forward (£55m Cavani, something like £50m Falcao, debatable top class £52m Hulk etc).

The only blemish would be his temperament which causes him to silly things at times. Wenger never really struck me as the type of manager to want a volatile player like Suarez though, its a bit strange. But, goals are the currency of football and Suarez will get you loads.
    1. Cavani is better than suarez
    2. Cavani doesn't come with baggage like Suerez
    3. Suarez is banned at the start of the season
    4.You're not our rivals you're mid table peasants, we never worry about Liverpool anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zyyz)
    4.You're not our rivals you're mid table peasants, we never worry about Liverpool anymore
    SO ****ING LOLLL :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zyyz)
    1. They are similar in ability. Suarez is probably a better dribbler/chance creator whereas Cavani is more of a better finisher and gives an aerial threat.
    2. Suarez comes with a suitcase filled with 2+ years of PL experience.
    3. A few games, for which you'll have cover and for which we may be without Sturridge.
    4. You are our domestic league rivals; we play against you each year and I think this adds a couple of extra mils say compared to him leaving for sunny Spain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrAlex95)
    In short, no. His contract expires at the end of the season, and he'll be going to Bayern on a free transfer. If he was available this entire transfer window would have been non-stop rumours about possible destinations for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    But what other top player?

Lewandowski is unlikely to leave a top European side for Arsenal, Rooney will most likely stay at United or move to Chelsea since they win trophies reguarly or even go abroad so he isn't going against United. Fabregas doesn't want to leave Barca from what I've read.

Suarez is one of the remaining great strikers who plays for a lower club (compared to Arsenal). Everyone else has already moved on eg. Cavani.
    Yeah, I agree. That's why I posed the question.

£50m seems crazy. For a person. So where does that number come from? How do we have this outrageously inflated figure? The short answer is that the people who are commanding that sort of money have a level of talent which is so rare as to be worth that amount of money. If only one guy has the ability, then everyone is going to want him and the money goes up. If there was only one Mars bar in the entire world and everyone wanted to eat it, the cost of that Mars bar would increase exponentially relative to the available resources of those pursuing it. With a lot of rich football clubs, and with only a certain number of exceptional players at any one time, the cost is going to increase.

You then take the number of exceptional footballers and assess how many are attainable. Ronaldo isn't. Messi isn't. etc.

Is £50m a crazy amount of money? Yes. Is it understandable? Yes. We can't just go in to a shop and buy a different player who is as good. I'm trying to think of players of a similar talent who we could get for the same amount of money, and I'm struggling to come up with anyone. I named Lewandowski purely because I know he wants a move and is in the last year of his contract, but we all know he wants to go to FCB so it was just a throw up in the air name.

I'm also thinking at this point, though, that I'd quite like to spend £70m on 3 players instead of one. An industrious midfielder, a decent CB and a goalie. (None of them are a striker though, and I guess a team full of mediocre players will never be incredible?)

ReputationRep:
    1. They are similar in ability. Suarez is probably a better dribbler/chance creator whereas Cavani is more of a better finisher and gives an aerial threat.
    2. Suarez comes with a suitcase filled with 2+ years of PL experience.
    3. A few games, for which you'll have cover and for which we may be without Sturridge.
    4. You are our domestic league rivals; we play against you each year and I think this adds a couple of extra mils say compared to him leaving for sunny Spain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its not really as clear as that to put a value on a player. I agree with you in that I think Suarez is a better all round player than Cavani but I don't for a second think that Suarez is a £55m player. In fact I think only about 10% of top footballers are that value. Personally I think Cavani is over-valued with that price and that is what annoys me when Rodgers and other football people bring up comparisons to value a player like Suarez. Cavani was only sold for that amount because Napoli knew that clubs like PSG and Monaco had the funds available to bid for that amount. Hence the over-valuation. At the moment, the only potential buyers for Suarez are Arsenal and Real. With only 2 interested clubs who are not willing to spend £55m, the valuation of Suarez has to go down surely.

ReputationRep:
    What wages would we offer him ? Surely if he was signed for 45mil and wouldn't there be several problems to deal with. The dressing room would be totally different, I wouldn't be surprised if a quite a few players don't like him, let alone want to train and play with him just on his personality. Then in addition he's wages would make everyone else pissed off, have more common scenarios like we did with Walcott all winter about wages ?

Don't get me wrong he is world class. But surely it would be the only singing we would make and would it definitely be the best thing. It's definitely a gamble but tbh I think that's what we need atm, and it would get everyone off wengers back.

Yes we need to buy and buy bigger than before, however is Suarez's positive footballing ability worth the gamble for 45m and all his baggage and negative traits and problems that it would create ?

What you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t()m)
    What wages would we offer him ? Surely if he was signed for 45mil and wouldn't there be several problems to deal with. The dressing room would be totally different, I wouldn't be surprised if a quite a few players don't like him, let alone want to train and play with him just on his personality. Then in addition he's wages would make everyone else pissed off, have more common scenarios like we did with Walcott all winter about wages ?

Don't get me wrong he is world class. But surely it would be the only singing we would make and would it definitely be the best thing. It's definitely a gamble but tbh I think that's what we need atm, and it would get everyone off wengers back.

Yes we need to buy and buy bigger than before, however is Suarez's positive footballing ability worth the gamble for 45m and all his baggage and negative traits and problems that it would create ?

What you guys think?
    The number thats being thrown around right now is £150k weekly in wages if he was to join us. Right now he is earning £120k I think. Its not a huge difference but when we consider the competitions which we will be competing in as well, it makes his position at Arsenal far better than what he currently has at Liverpool.

In terms of his fit in the team, I think it will test Wenger's management for sure. He has managed big names in the past with huge egos and personality so we can assume that Wenger can get him under control. Its the antics on the pitch that I'm worried about. If he continues to do what he did at Liverpool, then he might become a liability. We will just have to wait and see..

ReputationRep:
    would love if we got Suarez (although I don't see it happening)

other than the spuds, theres no other club I hate more than Liverpool and their supporters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    Its not really as clear as that to put a value on a player. I agree with you in that I think Suarez is a better all round player than Cavani but I don't for a second think that Suarez is a £55m player. In fact I think only about 10% of top footballers are that value. Personally I think Cavani is over-valued with that price and that is what annoys me when Rodgers and other football people bring up comparisons to value a player like Suarez. Cavani was only sold for that amount because Napoli knew that clubs like PSG and Monaco had the funds available to bid for that amount. Hence the over-valuation. At the moment, the only potential buyers for Suarez are Arsenal and Real. With only 2 interested clubs who are not willing to spend £55m, the valuation of Suarez has to go down surely.
    Yeah its definitely silly money territory, but in our current position we have to stand firm and try not get shafted because who can Liverpool actually buy to score 25+ goals next season for us? Transfer fees are circumstantial and under current circumstances we cant attract a player of Suarez's quality without getting bent over ourselves wrt to extortionate transfer fees.

If Suarez goes then we'll be set back an extra couple of years, so our only option is to play hardball and charge such an insane fee to either deter bidders and hold on to our best assets or hope that there's a club that will pay us enough to improve our squad.

ReputationRep:
    Idk, with Higuain and Jovetic gone (:cry2:) we're still in need of a striker but I'd still think with the recent interest, we should be following up on Lars Bender with a lot more fervour than we are Suarez.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    The number thats being thrown around right now is £150k weekly in wages if he was to join us. Right now he is earning £120k I think. Its not a huge difference but when we consider the competitions which we will be competing in as well, it makes his position at Arsenal far better than what he currently has at Liverpool.

In terms of his fit in the team, I think it will test Wenger's management for sure. He has managed big names in the past with huge egos and personality so we can assume that Wenger can get him under control. Its the antics on the pitch that I'm worried about. If he continues to do what he did at Liverpool, then he might become a liability. We will just have to wait and see..
    I think 140-150 would be ok in the squad but your definitely right that its would come down to wenger but I am far less worried knowing he would be in charge than a new guy trying to pu this stunt. Yeah no doubt for him arsenal is better than Liverpool but slightly concerned that's why Madrid will come knocking, doubt bale will leave this summer.
    Definitely he's a great footballer one minute and you wouldn't be surprised if he got a Hatrick and a red card it same half of a match.

ReputationRep:
    If Arsenal actually buy biter, diver, cheater Suarez for £40 million I may stop supporting Arsenal. I've supported them through all the losses and trophy-less years and stuck up for Wenger against all those calling for him to go. But spending £40 million on a player like that is the worst decision ever and I can't keep supporting a club like that.

I thought Wenger and Arsenal had morals and do brilliant deals by finding cheap gems, not suddenly splashing out £40 million on a biter and diver. If you're gonna spend that money, buy 2/3 world class players. I just can't see the sense in giving RVP to your main rivals for a pittance! And then buying someone who's not even worth a fraction of that. Why sell RVP for £22.5M and buy someone who is worse all all respects for almost double that!?

Unbelievable. I don't care if Arsenal have another trophyless year as long as they play great football, have good runs in the cups and PL, stick to their principles and not splash out fortunes on average-rate biter players.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to see him go to another Premier League club, but I don't understand why Arsenal don't completely turn their attention to Rooney. He would completely **** up Arsenal's wage structure though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tif49)
    If Arsenal actually buy biter, diver, cheater Suarez for £40 million I may stop supporting Arsenal. I've supported them through all the losses and trophy-less years and stuck up for Wenger against all those calling for him to go. But spending £40 million on a player like that is the worst decision ever and I can't keep supporting a club like that.

I thought Wenger and Arsenal had morals and do brilliant deals by finding cheap gems, not suddenly splashing out £40 million on a biter and diver. If you're gonna spend that money, buy 2/3 world class players. I just can't see the sense in giving RVP to your main rivals for a pittance! And then buying someone who's not even worth a fraction of that. Why sell RVP for £22.5M and buy someone who is worse all all respects for almost double that!?

Unbelievable. I don't care if Arsenal have another trophyless year as long as they play great football, have good runs in the cups and PL, stick to their principles and not splash out fortunes on average-rate biter players.
    You cant buy 2/3 world class players for 40m.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its definitely silly money territory, but in our current position we have to stand firm and try not get shafted because who can Liverpool actually buy to score 25+ goals next season for us? Transfer fees are circumstantial and under current circumstances we cant attract a player of Suarez's quality without getting bent over ourselves wrt to extortionate transfer fees.

If Suarez goes then we'll be set back an extra couple of years, so our only option is to play hardball and charge such an insane fee to either deter bidders and hold on to our best assets or hope that there's a club that will pay us enough to improve our squad.
    Every year that runs on Suarez's contract decreases his value and so I would have thought that Liverpool would accept an offer if it was acceptable. £40m is acceptable given that he will be suspended for 6 games as well.

I understand what you are saying but its the price a club has to pay if they under perform. We have been through that for so many years ourselves where we have had to sell our best players forcefully because we haven't performed at the level expected by those players. If Liverpool had achieved a CL spot then Suarez's situation would have been different and the club could have also worked on increasing his wages from the increased revenue. As it stands, it would be quite difficult for Liverpool to refuse an offer of £45m if they want to stay competitive. Keeping him for another year looks like a good call from the outside but believe me, I doubt Suarez can be sold at £45m next summer or even in the January transfer window.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.