Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kwhite7)
    I am reapplying, glad there are people in the same boat! I had got accepted onto a Primary PGCE last year but couldnt begin due to health reasons, so reapplying this year. Trying to gain further experience in a school, but I agree, it's a long task to just volunteer!
    Good luck and keep persevering!

(Original post by Hollrobinson)
    Hey everyone,
    I've accepted an offer onto the primary pgce at Manchester university!
    Gonna be commuting from Liverpool which I'm not too pleased about though haha.
    Haven't heard anything from the university other than feedback on my tests...
    Anybody else off to Manchester?
    Good luck to everyone applying or waiting on news
    Congratulations

---

Forgot how long the waiting process is. It's only been one day and I'm already dying to know. How am I going to distract myself for ten working days? It's my birthday on Thursday and all I can think about is how good it would be to get an offer for my 21st...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 342758)
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but I need some advice.

I've been thinking of applying for a PGCE primary with MFL course since I'm French and it is my first language (I've seen courses saying that if it's your first language you don't need a degree in the language to be considered). However, I'm gonna be starting the 3rd year of my degree (in chemistry) next september and my academic record isn't really that great. I have sufficient GCSEs and A-levels but my grades this past year at uni haven't really been that great, I didn't do so well in my exams and I have two resits to do this august. I still have 60% of my degree remaining and I can still pull up my grades but I'm worried because I really struggled this year with motivating myself to study and I feel like I lost all interest in my degree subject :/ I'm hoping to graduate with at a 2.2, a 2.1 is still possible but it's not so realistic..
    I have volunteered with Girl Guiding this past year and I also interned at a supplementary school for 6 months. I'm also looking to do some shadowing in a mainstream school for next september so I can also put this in my personal statement. Do you think I have a shot at a place on a PGCE primary course with a not so great academic record? I'm afraid that they will see that I haven't done well this past year and completely write me off as a result. I know the personal statement and passion for teaching is the most important and I have already started on my first draft and I'm hoping to send off my application as early as possible.

If you have any advice I'd be extremely grateful! (sorry for the long text)
    It's certainly possible to get onto a PGCE with a 2:2, though it is harder, and some places will only consider 2:1 or 1st. Give it a go anyway and concentrate on getting the best grades possible in second year, maybe visit student services at your uni and take advantage of any study skills sessions. Good luck!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    Graduated today and came home to an interview offer on Friday at 9am! Gah. So excited but worried I won't have much time to prep for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Graduated today and came home to an interview offer on Friday at 9am! Gah. So excited but worried I won't have much time to prep for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Congratulations on graduating, and receiving an interview offer. I received my interview offer early last week, had an interview on Friday and was offered a place on Monday. You'll be fine. As you're doing Computing also, I'd imagine there will only be a few of you at the interview. There were 3 others at mine.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I had the same thing. Got a call on Friday afternoon, was interviewed Monday morning. It's tough to get everything organised but worth it. Good luck!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TargetPoint)
    Congratulations on graduating, and receiving an interview offer. I received my interview offer early last week, had an interview on Friday and was offered a place on Monday. You'll be fine. As you're doing Computing also, I'd imagine there will only be a few of you at the interview. There were 3 others at mine.

Best of luck!
    Thank you!

Congrats on the offer! I'm doubting it'll be too busy and the only thing that I'm worried about is the group interview.

It being at 9am means I get to stay over at my uni housemates' house tomorrow night and I can't wait to see them again and I've missed Nottingham for so long so fingers crossed!

(Original post by alabelle)
    I had the same thing. Got a call on Friday afternoon, was interviewed Monday morning. It's tough to get everything organised but worth it. Good luck!
    Ooh. I feel better knowing others have been in the same position - seems very rushed. In the process of tidying up my teaching portfolio about observations. I'm hoping that seeing 15 classes across three days makes them less terrified about me not meeting the 10 day requirement. They must be willing to work something out if they know that I haven't completed them but are still willing to interview me+

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

Congrats on the offer! I'm doubting it'll be too busy and the only thing that I'm worried about is the group interview.

It being at 9am means I get to stay over at my uni housemates' house tomorrow night and I can't wait to see them again and I've missed Nottingham for so long so fingers crossed!

Ooh. I feel better knowing others have been in the same position - seems very rushed. In the process of tidying up my teaching portfolio about observations. I'm hoping that seeing 15 classes across three days makes them less terrified about me not meeting the 10 day requirement. They must be willing to work something out if they know that I haven't completed them but are still willing to interview me+

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have they informed you what the group exercise entails? For mine, we were each given a card with 5 items listed, i.e. FTP, Binary, Visual Basic, CPU, GUI, and had to describe them without using their name for others to guess - basically charades. It was quite fun actually. Especially as the interviewer got involved and played alongside us.

Have fun visiting your friends, but don't get plastered the night before the interview. Nothing worse than a full day assessment with a throbbing hangover.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad
    Have they informed you what the group exercise entails? For mine, we were each given a card with 5 items listed, i.e. FTP, Binary, Visual Basic, CPU, GUI, and had to describe them without using their name for others to guess - basically charades. It was quite fun actually. Especially as the interviewer got involved and played alongside us.

Have fun visiting your friends, but don't get plastered the night before the interview. Nothing worse than a full day assessment with a throbbing hangover.
    They haven't told me. Hope I get something like yours! They've let me know about the presentation bit and it's about a recent development in computing so that's pretty easy with all of the changes going on.

And luckily they all have work/phd things to be doing the next day so I should be safe. I imagine the day after could end in our favourite cocktail bar though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have just received my welcome letter and checklist after confirming my secondary PGCE offer. One of the 'tasks' is to spend 5 days in a primary school before the start of the course. They've given 1 week in September to do this also. As I'm late to the game, it's certainly going to be difficult to accomplish, with the majority of schools breaking up in 2 days. Hopefully they're lenient on this for undersubscribed subjects with late applications.

I'll start firing off some emails tomorrow to all of the local primary schools!

ReputationRep:
    Have just received my welcome letter and checklist after confirming my secondary PGCE offer. One of the 'tasks' is to spend 5 days in a primary school before the start of the course. They've given 1 week in September to do this also. As I'm late to the game, it's certainly going to be difficult to accomplish, with the majority of schools breaking up in 2 days. Hopefully they're lenient on this for undersubscribed subjects with late applications.

Congratulations on your offer! some schools break up on Wednesday- maybe you could try and fit in three days before the end of term and two days first week of Sept? Good luck!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad

Yay for the offer. I'm hoping for something similar. I've been told there's no chance I can go in this late in the year but plenty have offered me days in September. Get contacting them now with your information see if they'll let you arrange some days. Explain that you understand they won't be normal days and that you're willing to do pretty much anything and you should be fine. Good luck!

Pretty sure I'm going to have a meltdown before Friday's interview! The only uni to not get back to me yet is the uni I graduated from so the wait is killing me as I suspect they'll be lenient.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cutebat)
    Congratulations on your offer! some schools break up on Wednesday- maybe you could try and fit in three days before the end of term and two days first week of Sept? Good luck!
    Thanks, I'm going to email around tomorrow.

Yay for the offer. I'm hoping for something similar. I've been told there's no chance I can go in this late in the year but plenty have offered me days in September. Get contacting them now with your information see if they'll let you arrange some days. Explain that you understand they won't be normal days and that you're willing to do pretty much anything and you should be fine. Good luck!

Pretty sure I'm going to have a meltdown before Friday's interview! The only uni to not get back to me yet is the uni I graduated from so the wait is killing me as I suspect they'll be lenient.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm certainly willing to do anything! Just need to say I've been in a primary school for five days. Might start with my old primary school... a few of the teachers are still working there that taught me, 12 years ago!

My degree results are released tomorrow... my offer is for a 2:2 or above. Fingers crossed!

Good luck for Friday. I'm sure you'll be fine! As long as you stay calm and show you're genuinely interested in becoming a teacher, you'll get an offer!

ReputationRep:

Remember there are more primary schools than secondary and as far as I can tell from what others have said they have a lot more odd jobs so are more likely to say yes (I am a primary teacher and would always say yes to having a volunteer in, whatever time of year, as there is ALWAYS stuff they can do!).

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Remember there are more primary schools than secondary and as far as I can tell from what others have said they have a lot more odd jobs so are more likely to say yes (I am a primary teacher and would always say yes to having a volunteer in, whatever time of year, as there is ALWAYS stuff they can do!).

xxx
    Thanks, that's reassuring.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad
    Got another offer to interview today for next Friday. I have all 3 interviews over the next 7 days and all have different tasks. I think my brain is going to explode! Most looking forward to the interview at Staffs as it seems quite casual but the Nottingham Trent and Keele ones seems interesting. Just hope I can power through.

Also hoping it's not too hot as without my suit jacket I have a visible tattoo!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Got another offer to interview today for next Friday. I have all 3 interviews over the next 7 days and all have different tasks. I think my brain is going to explode! Most looking forward to the interview at Staffs as it seems quite casual but the Nottingham Trent and Keele ones seems interesting. Just hope I can power through.

Also hoping it's not too hot as without my suit jacket I have a visible tattoo!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You'll be great. Best of luck.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad
    You'll be great. Best of luck.
    Aww, thanks. I still haven't started my presentation though. I'm still trying to think it through - worried that I'm going with the obvious interpretation of the task and should instead be going advanced. And they've given me no indication as to what software is available tomorrow D:

ReputationRep:
    Aww, thanks. I still haven't started my presentation though. I'm still trying to think it through - worried that I'm going with the obvious interpretation of the task and should instead be going advanced. And they've given me no indication as to what software is available tomorrow D:
    What's your presentation topic, and are you sure they're going to let you use a computer/interactive whiteboard etc? All of the interviews I've had have stated no use of computers, just a pen and whiteboard, due to time constraints.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad
    What's your presentation topic, and are you sure they're going to let you use a computer/interactive whiteboard etc? All of the interviews I've had have stated no use of computers, just a pen and whiteboard, due to time constraints.
    All it says is to plan and bring it with me. Was going to throw a powerpoint together (my other two have asked for powerpoints) and take a printout of what I wanted to say so that if it's whiteboard then I have a chance.

It's on a current educational issue that has attracted my attention in the past 6 months. The change from IT should give me plenty to talk about but it feels too obvious.

ReputationRep:
    All it says is to plan and bring it with me. Was going to throw a powerpoint together (my other two have asked for powerpoints) and take a printout of what I wanted to say so that if it's whiteboard then I have a chance.

It's on a current educational issue that has attracted my attention in the past 6 months. The change from IT should give me plenty to talk about but it feels too obvious.
    With that topic, I think you've got many avenues to go down. The obvious choice would be to go for the move from ICT to Computing, however that's likely to be what everyone else goes for also.

If you go for the change in curriculum, maybe concentrate your presentation on a single aspect of computing, i.e. how the implementation of computational thinking within the new curriculum will have a broad positive impact for the pupils...

I did my presentation on introducing binary to a group of year 7s. It was for five minutes and went along the lines of:

• Introduction - Name/Presentation topic
    • Objectives - What I wanted them to take away from the presentation
    • Describing that computers only understand two things, 1 and 0
    • Why computers use binary (turn switches on/off)
    • Explained how data is represented via binary and switches
    • Decimal to binary conversation table
    • Quick summary - quick fire round
    • Recap

Whatever topic you choose, just remember they're not expecting the finished product. They just want to make sure you can stand and talk for a few minutes, while engaging an audience.

Let us know how your interview goes tomorrow. Good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.