Pepsi (Cool & Crisp)
    36.56%
    Sex.
    33.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretary_problem
    Oh, that's interesting, thanks!

(It doesn't contradict me, though, since we're using two different definitions of 'optimal'.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    Oh, that's interesting, thanks!

(It doesn't contradict me, though, since we're using two different definitions of 'optimal'.)
    I wasn't trying to contradict you :p: I just meant there's an optimal strategy for this suboptimal situation.

I actually first read this when I was researching Cambridge admissions :coffee: I wonder if they actually use a process similar to this. It would explain why some people are rejected when they clearly shouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't trying to contradict you :p: I just meant there's an optimal strategy for this suboptimal situation.
    I assumed you weren't, but also wanted to make sure that I wasn't having the sort of brain fart to which I am prone and missing something obvious. :o:

I actually first read this when I was researching Cambridge admissions :coffee: I wonder if they actually use a process similar to this. It would explain why some people are rejected when they clearly shouldn't.
    I wouldn't imagine so (and they shouldn't). The problem there is defining a partial ordering on the candidates, rather than having to make a decision before having seen all the candidates, since offers are only made once all candidates have been evaluated.

ReputationRep:
    Alternatively, scrap it and apply as an individual (which will involve finding your own referee, obviously).
    Why didn't this occur to me earlier... :confused: I can't be arsed with my school's laziness either. Before I consider this further... are there any significant downsides to applying as an individual, Mr. Unbeliever? :bubbles:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedrobear)
    Why didn't this occur to me earlier... :confused: I can't be arsed with my school's laziness either. Before I consider this further... are there any significant downsides to applying as an individual, Mr. Unbeliever? :bubbles:
    Just that you'll have to find your own referee.

ReputationRep:
    Just that you'll have to find your own referee.
    That'd be OK! Thank you Mr. Dragon. :bubbles:

ReputationRep:
    That'd be OK! Thank you Mr. Dragon. :bubbles:
    Well your referee person might not be a teacher so their comments might not be useful for your application. Also I think you have to get them to fill it in online and some unis might question why you are still at school but not doing it through the normal route like everyone else.

But it does have the advantage that none of your teachers will be able to see your application

ReputationRep:
    No offers...gah, someone block me from track

On another note, dontcha just love intergration :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    No offers...gah, someone block me from track

On another note, dontcha just love intergration :indiff:
    Oh yes I do

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes I do
    Go away

Go away
    Why push him away? When he can offer to give some you some of his knowledge of Maths from his wealthy bank of Maths knowledge. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    Why push him away? When he can offer to give some you some of his knowledge of Maths from his wealthy bank of Maths knowledge. :p:
    I know how to do it, it doesn't mean I have to like it...:woo:

I know how to do it, it doesn't mean I have to like it...:woo:
    Ahh sorry, I thought you hated it because you were stuck. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    Someone on MSN just told me that's how they got into uni. :indiff: I don't know what to do, my teachers are ******** and ruining my UCAS just because they can. My reference is 12 lines long and I asked my ref to fill it with a list of ECs I gave her, and she said "If you don't like it get someone else." She's head of UCAS.
    That sounds really crap, can you complain to the city council or something- your teacher shouldnt' be able to make your life so hard for no reason. Are there any other teachers who could write you a reference? I wouldn't worry to much about your predicted grades though (I saw your thread).

ReputationRep:
    I believe that the poll has been answered. Facebook group: '"Can I have a coke?" Is pepsi alright? "Uh, Is monopoly money alright?"'

ReputationRep:
    I believe that the poll has been answered. Facebook group: '"Can I have a coke?" Is pepsi alright? "Uh, Is monopoly money alright?"'
    I hate when you ask for a Coke, but you get a Pepsi and they don't even ask if it's alright. **** you, KFC. I'll have a Sprite instead.

ReputationRep:

Coke is the gentleman's option.

ReputationRep:
    Coke is the gentleman's option.
    Well, clearly. After all, I drink it.

ReputationRep:
    My sister just asked me a really weird question...
    [
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Would you rather be run over on a hot or cold day?

ReputationRep:
    My sister just asked me a really weird question...
    [
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Would you rather be run over on a hot or cold day?
    :lolwut:
    What did you say?! :p:

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.