Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Count to 100 before a Mod, Section Leader or Admin posts thread MK XX Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by incipientT)
    you might have to use a paragraph to explain. Sorry:console:

What?? how can they evaluate your program if they don't have a copy? How do they evaluate program complexity, anyway? Not an easy thing to do...
    I'll screenshot it later :yep:

Well, the testing and maintenance sections had extracts of the code. And in the design section you had to explain which algorithms and the like you'd use.

Evaluation! That's what the last section was called, not conclusion!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Splenge007)
    :eek: Don't you need to type it up later?

what time you seeing your supervisor?

I'm beginning to wonder if you'll have enough time for sleep now
    Well he wants a draft tomorrow. I'm seeing my supervisor at 4 and I have the first 3 chapters basically done. It's this final one that I'm struggling with. I'm going to probably go bed quite late tonight and will probably be playing minecraft as a "break".

Why I leave things to the last minute I have no idea :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortious)
    :teeth:

(Yeah, I'm on the LPC at the moment and I can tell it's going to be an interesting year. :teehee: Is she staying in London? What kind of law is she going into? (Feel free to move this to PMs if you'd rather not discuss it all publicly. :p:))

What kind of school did you go to?! I genuinely can't think of anything "scandalous" that occurred at my school. :indiff:

It wouldn't surprise me - a corner of my friend's room (at Newnham) got trashed because there was a leak on the floor above and loads of water came through her ceiling. It was all repaired, but from the parts of the ceiling that I saw it didn't look that sturdy. :no:
    It's alright I don't really know the ins and outs of it, just that she's on her TC. I think it's in London.

An all-girls one :rolleyes: sixth form will be fun...

Had to be Newnham that had the cardboard walls! Why not bestow them on Girton? It's not like any of them are getting any, getting back to the rooms would be like going on a pilgrimage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    I'll screenshot it later :yep:

Well, the testing and maintenance sections had extracts of the code. And in the design section you had to explain which algorithms and the like you'd use.

Evaluation! That's what the last section was called, not conclusion!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I look forward to it

Are you telling me they never actually checked if your program would work in it's entirety?? That's crazy!

ReputationRep:
    "Splenge" sounds a bit like "splurge" - it makes me think of the panicked bull****ting you were doing earlier this evening. :teehee:

Out of curiosity, what does your username mean? :holmes:
    That is the beauty of my username. It can mean whatever you want it to :pierre: likewise, you can have me be whatever you want :sexface::mmm:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I look forward to it

Are you telling me they never actually checked if your program would work in it's entirety?? That's crazy!

The amount of code you have to put into the document, you can tell whether or not the programme works. Plus you have to get your client and users to test it, and mention any problems, which goes in the document thing as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Eh, I'm not really sure, having not thought about it before. I can see the arguments on both sides, really - if I were starting again I'm not sure it'd occur to me to have women-only colleges, but I'm not sure they're causing any "harm". Those who'd prefer a mixed-sex college can apply elsewhere (since most of the colleges are actually fairly similar), but equally those who'd like a female-only environment have that too.

It does beg the question why we don't have one remaining men-only college though. :dontknow:
    Indeed. Conspiracy?

ReputationRep:

The amount of code you have to put into the document, you can tell whether or not the programme works. Plus you have to get your client and users to test it, and mention any problems, which goes in the document thing as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmmm, technically, if you don't have all the code you can't tell if it will work or not. It's entirely possible to break a program in one line of code.

But if you've got a client using it, then I guess that's covered.

Who's the client?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpdavis)
    Well he wants a draft tomorrow. I'm seeing my supervisor at 4 and I have the first 3 chapters basically done. It's this final one that I'm struggling with. I'm going to probably go bed quite late tonight and will probably be playing minecraft as a "break".

Why I leave things to the last minute I have no idea :sigh:
    :console:

I'd be worried If you were seeing the supervisor in the morning. Since you're seeing him/her at 4, you've got tomorrow's morning and afternoon to work on the final chapter. Maybe sleep on the chapter you're finding difficult.

when do you plan on having this "break"? :holmes: Not late at night, I hope
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, technically, if you don't have all the code you can't tell if it will work or not. It's entirely possible to break a program in one line of code.

But if you've got a client using it, then I guess that's covered.

Who's the client?
    Oh believe me, I know that

At one point, I managed to delete the menu bar from my program, in a way that left all the coding there, so VB wouldn't allow me to add a new one

You choose one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Splenge007)
    :console:

I'd be worried If you were seeing the supervisor in the morning. Since you're seeing him/her at 4, you've got tomorrow's morning and afternoon to work on the final chapter. Maybe sleep on the chapter you're finding difficult.

when do you plan on having this "break"? :holmes: Not late at night, I hope

That's what I'm hoping. I plan to go bed about 1ish and get up early so I can head in and finish off the bits here and there that I have outstanding (meeting would have been 3, but asking for another hour which he said I have always been able to do so taking my opportunity now ) I plan to have most of the chapter typed up tonight so I can finish it off in the morning :yep:

Plan to have the break in about 20 minutes :ahee: Going to make another cup of coffee soon :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Oh believe me, I know that

At one point, I managed to delete the menu bar from my program, in a way that left all the coding there, so VB wouldn't allow me to add a new one

You choose one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think everyone who's got further than 'Hello World' knows that.

Dare I ask how? that sounds like a weird thing...

I remember the first time I used VB. the teacher had given us 2-3 programs to write that were very smiler, so I decided to write one and then copy and change it for the others. I spent the whole lesson trying to convince it to copy, not just make an alias. In the last 3 mins of the lesson I gave up and wrote it out again.

What, just anyone?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone who's got further than 'Hello World' knows that.

Dare I ask how? that sounds like a weird thing...

I remember the first time I used VB. the teacher had given us 2-3 programs to write that were very smiler, so I decided to write one and then copy and change it for the others. I spent the whole lesson trying to convince it to copy, not just make an alias. In the last 3 mins of the lesson I gave up and wrote it out again.

What, just anyone?
    True :yep:

I still have no idea. I had a back-up of it, so I just used that, fortunately.

Never had a problem with copying and pasting

No, but I can't remember the requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I'm hoping. I plan to go bed about 1ish and get up early so I can head in and finish off the bits here and there that I have outstanding (meeting would have been 3, but asking for another hour which he said I have always been able to do so taking my opportunity now ) I plan to have most of the chapter typed up tonight so I can finish it off in the morning :yep:

Plan to have the break in about 20 minutes :ahee: Going to make another cup of coffee soon :yep:
      Pomodoro pact? :gah:

ReputationRep:
      True :yep:

I still have no idea. I had a back-up of it, so I just used that, fortunately.

Never had a problem with copying and pasting

No, but I can't remember the requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
      Ah, backups and mysterious bugs. I need to keep more of those(back ups, not bugs). Sooo useful.

I've never had a problem with it either, save that once.:dontknow:

If I stopped and thought I could probably come up with a list of mystery bugs the length of my arm.

Fair enough.
      • TSR Support Team
      • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
      Ah, backups and mysterious bugs. I need to keep more of those(back ups, not bugs). Sooo useful.

I've never had a problem with it either, save that once.:dontknow:

If I stopped and thought I could probably come up with a list of mystery bugs the length of my arm.

Fair enough.
      I keep a ridiculous number of back-ups.

Weird.

Likewise, unfortunately. Most of them were fixable though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Your plan sounds realistic. Good luck! I hope you get it done on time :yep: rather than have your nightmare become reality :mmm:

Don't spend too much time on minecraft now :pierre:

ReputationRep:
      I keep a ridiculous number of back-ups.

Weird.

Likewise, unfortunately. Most of them were fixable though

Posted from TSR Mobile
      I always forget. Mostly I manage to use undo to fix it but occasionally it's bitten me in the bum(not having any backups).

Oh, all fixable, in one way or another. assuming you count working around as fixing.

I always remember a time when I was with my uncle when I was about 11 or something and he showed me some java by writing out the hello world program. When it compiled first time he said 'Oh, that's a surprise, it didn't complain about anything'. So true!
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      • TSR Support Team
      • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
      I always forget. Mostly I manage to use undo to fix it but occasionally it's bitten me in the bum(not having any backups).

Oh, all fixable, in one way or another. assuming you count working around as fixing.

I always remember a time when I was with my uncle when I was about 11 or something and he showed me some java by writing out the hello world program. When it compiled first time he said 'Oh, that's a surprise, it didn't complain about anything'. So true!
      Undo usually seems to make it worse.

I don't

Java is the worst for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.