Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonniex123)
    I observed a lesson today as a training activity and was given the grading criteria for good and outstanding etc. One of the criteria for 'inadequate' was 'learning objectives are not on display'. I don't like them either and I certainly don't like that silly grading system but you may as well not risk it!
    Yeah I'll display them. I never get marked down on it at school because my mentor never displays them either. As long as I have some on my lesson plan it is fine. But I may as well stick them on a slide just so they are there and the box is ticked!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I'm due to start taking my mentor's year 10 class tomorrow...would it be frowned upon for me to email her and ask if I can start next week? I literally don't think there is enough time tonight for me to plan the lesson as I've been planning my interview lesson. I guess it depends on your mentor. I just don't think I'm going to be able to plan it, so if I do teach it it will be me making it up on the spot.

What would your mentors be like if you asked that?

My mentor wouldn't mind, providing that he had enough time to plan the lesson... leaving it till now might be a bit late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    My mentor wouldn't mind, providing that he had enough time to plan the lesson... leaving it till now might be a bit late.
    Damn it :lol: I may ask her before the lesson if she wouldn't mind team teaching it with me.

ReputationRep:
    I have to do a presentation on the needs of modern day sixth form students for about five mins. I am completely unsure what format a presentation is. Am I allowed to read off something or should it be all from my head? So many questions about this interview!

ReputationRep:
    I have to do a presentation on the needs of modern day sixth form students for about five mins. I am completely unsure what format a presentation is. Am I allowed to read off something or should it be all from my head? So many questions about this interview!
    A powerpoint for visual clues would be okay - but obviously use it as a prompt rather than reading from it. As it's only five minutes, I wouldn't bother with a ppt

ReputationRep:
    I have my first interview on Thursday for a job I desperately want. A lot on here seem to have had interviews - what are some basic tips? I'm worried my nerves will get the better of me. I know I can do this and I've planned a bad ass lesson but my nerves could ruin it all.
    (Original post by Samus2)
    A powerpoint for visual clues would be okay - but obviously use it as a prompt rather than reading from it. As it's only five minutes, I wouldn't bother with a ppt
    Thanks. Yeah I didn't really want to do a powerpoint so I'll try and do it off memory.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have my first interview on Thursday for a job I desperately want. A lot on here seem to have had interviews - what are some basic tips? I'm worried my nerves will get the better of me. I know I can do this and I've planned a bad ass lesson but my nerves could ruin it all.

Thanks. Yeah I didn't really want to do a powerpoint so I'll try and do it off memory.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    School's will know that you're going to be nervous - an interview is a nervous situation! The most important thing is that you're able to be reflective IMO. If a lesson doesn't go to plan and you know why it didn't go to plan and you can think of how you can improve it - that's good!

Also, you could teach an outstanding lesson but you just might not be the right person for the job - that's the reason I didn't get the first position I interviewed for.

Be yourself, be friendly and be prepared to talk about new challenges (ie, new a-levels and new GCSE's).

Don't just blindly start answering a question with anything that comes to mind. Take a few seconds to think about what you're going to say.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just be yourself. they'll know you're going to be stressed out and a little bit nervous so just go with it, have fun and make sure you get who you are over to them. make sure you absolutely mention any 'value-added' stuff. The want somebody who doesn't just teach but can support the school's ethos and extra-curriculars.

Treat it as though you're the only candidate suitable for them and make sure you really just go through it.

ReputationRep:
    When I had my interview, i scribbled a quick evaluation of the lesson on a scrap of paper and discussed it in the interview section. They loved it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)

"But what about all those qualifications you got?!"
    "But you love teaching!!"
    "Don't give up!"

You have achieved something very tough, expanded your mind and learnt a lot of new things, gained new perspective on education and child development and contributed to help of improve the loves and educations of many children. If you want to do something else now then do it! You're allowed to try things and change your mind, especially if you get so much out of the trying.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for your words of encouragement

I'm still in two minds..

-------------

Can I just rant here please?

So I'm in a lesson with a very difficult year 8 class - they are extremely talkative, last lesson was a disaster. There is me and then the class teacher in the class present.

I set a seating plan for them on the board - I have done this before so I know it can get messy, hence I made them line up outside and called them in rows to sit down according to the seating plan.

Now this Miss nobody (she's an average Joe teacher) trots along telling me and the class teacher, 'can we get them in, they don't need to be called in like this all of them in and they can look at the seating plan on the board'. So I thought who the flipping hell are you?! I complied looked at her, thought yeah okay let's have all that chaos in at once shall we.

And it was exactly as I had imagined "Miss miss misss where am I, how do I read that on the board, what - i'm confuseeeed" seeing this she smiled at me nervously and I gave her the b stare - we all know what that stare is, was like no sir I am not being chumy with you after you ruined my attempt to discipline them.

So many bad words coming to mind for heaven's sake - seriously what was the need, you ain't got anything better to do in your spare time?! Undermining everything I'm trying to do.

She then trots back out - seriously if looks could kill -______________________________-

ReputationRep:
    Just at my interview. Had to say I don't know on an ofsted question this morning with the head. May as well leave now. I'm devastated. I read it yesterday!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just at my interview. Had to say I don't know on an ofsted question this morning with the head. May as well leave now. I'm devastated. I read it yesterday!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh no! You never know though, if you were strong elsewhere it might not matter. Let us know how it goes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Oh no! You never know though, if you were strong elsewhere it might not matter. Let us know how it goes
    Yeah. There were three of us and one got sent home so I made it through to formal interview. It all went pretty badly though. I supposed to hear by now but I haven't. Just sat staring at the phone. It's painful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. There were three of us and one got sent home so I made it through to formal interview. It all went pretty badly though. I supposed to hear by now but I haven't. Just sat staring at the phone. It's painful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I do feel your pain, having been through it a few times. The thing to remember is that if it's a long time before they tell you, then it is more likely to have been a close run contest and they are having to discuss things for some time. Even if you don't get it, that is a good sign.

ReputationRep:
    Just got my first ever 1 in a lesson observation! Super chuffed!!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get it . I am disappointed. More disappointed because I know who got it and he has a difficult personality that he managed to hide today. They will regret hiring him. He has a reputation on my course for being argumentative and a pain and apparently he's been struggling on his placements whilst I've just had an outstanding observation. Grr.

Think I realised I don't want to teach alevel though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get it . I am disappointed. More disappointed because I know who got it and he has a difficult personality that he managed to hide today. They will regret hiring him. He has a reputation on my course for being argumentative and a pain and apparently he's been struggling on his placements whilst I've just had an outstanding observation. Grr.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm sorry to hear that. I am a firm believer in 'What's meant to be won't pass you by', though.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry to hear this there will be something better out there for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I'm sorry to hear that. I am a firm believer in 'What's meant to be won't pass you by', though.

(Original post by alabelle)
    Sorry to hear this there will be something better out there for you.
    Thanks. It's really upset me to be honest, and I don't even know why. It is nothing new to anyone on this thread that I am unsure about teaching anyway. I guess I'm just scared of the future. I don't know what I'll be doing in September and I know deep down I don't want to apply for anymore teaching jobs because I don't realistically feel I could do them. But I have no alternatives. I'm going to end up unemployed and overqualified . I wish I could get a job at my placement school. I love it there, I'll be sad to leave.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. It's really upset me to be honest, and I don't even know why. It is nothing new to anyone on this thread that I am unsure about teaching anyway. I guess I'm just scared of the future. I don't know what I'll be doing in September and I know deep down I don't want to apply for anymore teaching jobs because I don't realistically feel I could do them. But I have no alternatives. I'm going to end up unemployed and overqualified . I wish I could get a job at my placement school. I love it there, I'll be sad to leave.
    I do feel sorry for you. I know it can seem like the end of the world at moments like this, but it never actually is. Time is a great healer and something will turn up when you least expect it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.