Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deduction123)
    Heard several physics interviews invitations are received
    Yes I heard too - Physics offers, anyone - all the very best

(Original post by tamara98)
    St Anne's, but considering that one of my essays submitted for the require written work was sort of rubbish, I'm not too hopeful, I just want an answer now,even a rejection so that I can move on :'
    (Original post by DonPaxis)
    Ah I've applied to Balliol, but I think I'm in the same situation really. Hopefully we'll hear back soon!
    I'm so glad (in a relief not horrible way!) that not everyone else's written work was perfect, one of my submitted essays was awful and I'm paranoid they won't even bother interviewing me because of it! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    History applicants please help:

I wrote about a book on my personal statement which ive only just started reading and i literally dont understand it at all - will this hinder me in an interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamesthe24th)
    Has anybody had any offers for English Language and Literature? I believe the interview invites come out today?
    Where did you hear that?
    I didn't think they sent anything on weekends
    Hopefully we'll hear something tomorrow

I haven't heard of any English offers on here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crastle)

I wrote about a book on my personal statement which ive only just started reading and i literally dont understand it at all - will this hinder me in an interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes if they ask you about it.

Hence why it's a silly decision to mention anything on your personal statement you haven't already read or studied.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    LOL just steer the conversation into another direction

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    All I can suggest is to skim the chapters, pick out what the main points appear to be, and analyse the crap out of those!I'm sure you'll be alright, just relax and try and read it at some sort of leisure. Forget about the interview when reading it, just get some modicum of understanding from it and you'll be fine if they ask you!Good luck! From a fellow history applicant!

ReputationRep:
    when should geography outcomes be sent?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Try to find a book review on it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mazzaion)
    They don't emails if I remember correctly, but letters through the post which you will receive ont he 6th of january
    Last year for my offer I got an email, and then a letter in the post a couple days later

But it could be different between colleges so can't give a definite answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How did Ed Miliband get in to do PPE at Corpus with only AABB in his A levels?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm a lawyer, not a historican, but I can relate. I mentioned one of the most famous legal texts ever published because I had read and liked one particular chapter previously. Great idea. Ends up the rest of the book is incredibly hard to comprehend and hell to get through. So I feel you.
    I'm fighting my way through it bit by bit and reading up parts I didn't understand online. Try to take notes on each chapter - just short ones in your own words, and make sure you really get them.
    If you have trouble understanding certain parts no matter how often you go through them - ask a teacher. Or note down where you had difficulties understanding the book and why, so you have a good explanation if your tutors ask about it during interview.
    I don't think they except you to have understood the whole book, and talking about problems you had reading it might even spark some interesting conversation.
    Don't give up, we'll be fine

(Also: chances are the tutors - if they do ask about the book at all - will ask about your opinion on the central statements and possible controversial arguments in it. If you focus on these, it shouldn't be too much work)

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hiya, I had an interview for history last year and it was in 2 parts... in the first one it was all about my submitted written work and the second was all about the extract they'd given us to analyse.. I literally got asked one question from my personal statement about my EPQ! It's different for everyone but I didn't get any questions about what I'd read so I wouldn't worry too much about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghazal_)
    I wonder why, it seems like such an appealing degree to me There's still not that many people, let's hope that it works in our favour
    Yeah it's good we've managed to find each other! I think 8 or 9 people got in last year? I'm not sure how many applied but I think it was relatively low in comparison to single honours History or English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karina_xo)
    Last year for my offer I got an email, and then a letter in the post a couple days later

But it could be different between colleges so can't give a definite answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which college was it from? I do hope we get letters in addition to potential emails, it just feels so much more tangible and great! Unless it's a rejection of course...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hgalpin)
    Yeah it's good we've managed to find each other! I think 8 or 9 people got in last year? I'm not sure how many applied but I think it was relatively low in comparison to single honours History or English.
    Argh yeah it's ridiculously low...it's like 9 applicants for every place or something Kinda wonder what we've got ourselves in for! Although, I get the impression they offer a few single honours places to people who've applied for History and English each year. When I spoke to a guy at the Open Day, he seemed to indicate he knew of a few people who were made offers that way. I know that's not really the point and it's not ideal. but at least there's that to (maybe?) soften the blow.

ReputationRep:
    Any chemists got an interview yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IzzySaskia)
    Argh yeah it's ridiculously low...it's like 9 applicants for every place or something Kinda wonder what we've got ourselves in for! Although, I get the impression they offer a few single honours places to people who've applied for History and English each year. When I spoke to a guy at the Open Day, he seemed to indicate he knew of a few people who were made offers that way. I know that's not really the point and it's not ideal. but at least there's that to (maybe?) soften the blow.
    Yeah, that isn't great :s. Yeah, it's good to know that offers can come about that way so, who knows, it could have been more than 9 people who did get in last year, in whatever capacity!
    On the bright side, we have two chances to make good first impressions in the interviews. It's definitely not the end of the world if we're lucky enough to be given an offer for a single honours course (although that wasn't what we chose)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hgalpin)
    Yeah, that isn't great :s. Yeah, it's good to know that offers can come about that way so, who knows, it could have been more than 9 people who did get in last year, in whatever capacity!
    On the bright side, we have two chances to make good first impressions in the interviews. It's definitely not the end of the world if we're lucky enough to be given an offer for a single honours course (although that wasn't what we chose)!
    The figures for some of the Joint Honours courses can make one's eyes water! History and Economics: 16 got in; History and English: 9; History and Politics (which I applied for) 33! Good luck to all Joint Honours people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    The figures for some of the Joint Honours courses can make one's eyes water! History and Economics: 16 got in; History and English: 9; History and Politics (which I applied for) 33! Good luck to all Joint Honours people!
    33?! That seems fairly generous...although I suppose I don't know how many applicants those 33 were picked from...

But yes, ditto to your sentiments, good luck to everyone!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.