Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Commons Bar Mk XII - MHoC Chat Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Odds on another referendum in the next decade?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Very low odds, the EU question is not going to go away with this referendum, when the EU expands there will be more calls for a referendum, when more powers are transferred there will be calls for a referendum, and a treaty change legally requires a referendum.

ReputationRep:
    just voted remain
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Very low odds, the EU question is not going to go away with this referendum, when the EU expands there will be more calls for a referendum, when more powers are transferred there will be calls for a referendum, and a treaty change legally requires a referendum.
    And when these reforms are shown to be nothing but hot air and all these things that "definitely aren't happening" happen, although I'm waiting for the "we told you so" opportunities

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I see the teachers still like not getting paid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And when these reforms are shown to be nothing but hot air and all these things that "definitely aren't happening" happen, although I'm waiting for the "we told you so" opportunities

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's okay because I don't like the reforms anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Odds on another referendum in the next decade?
    If remain wins then the debate will continue, whether or not that actually leads to another vote I am unsure.

If leave wins then probably not, unless there is a referendum on something like EFTA membership (though again I can't see one actually being called).

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You speak as though you're certain we'll remain. Given up already?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    It is not giving up, it is being realistic, there is a generation of young people who have gone through a left-wing school system to be conditioned to thinking collectivism; the EU; and unions with poor countries, non-countries, corrupt countries, and insignificant countries are good, and trade deals the be-all and end-all of economic growth, trade, and development.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The bigger question is how long will it be before a 'we told you so' opportunity arises? I predict it will take less than a week for one of the truths of the Brexit campaign that was described as a lie to become real.

ReputationRep:
    The bigger question is how long will it be before a 'we told you so' opportunity arises? I predict it will take less than a week for one of the truths of the Brexit campaign that was described as a lie to become real.
    Such as?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    That's okay because I don't like the reforms anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you an Aphish eurofederalist, and most people don't like them as they don't actually really do anything; we were promised reform and instead we got a Chamberlain

I'm pretty confident, although I wonder what effect the German shooting will have

Tomorrow or Monday probably

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Such as?
    Britain will not be excluded from ever closer union, freedom of movement will be extended to Turkish citizens by 2020, immigration will not be controlled with EU criminals not be refused entry, common European taxation policy by 2020, and military units operating under direct EU control by 2020.

ReputationRep:
    Are you an Aphish eurofederalist, and most people don't like them as they don't actually really do anything; we were promised reform and instead we got a Chamberlain

I'm pretty confident, although I wonder what effect the German shooting will have

Tomorrow or Monday probably

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh I think it needs reform but things take time. It was seven centuries before we could vote for our parliament for example.
    I didn't like Camerons reforms.

ReputationRep:
    Britain will not be excluded from ever closer union, freedom of movement will be extended to Turkish citizens by 2020, immigration will not be controlled with EU criminals not be refused entry, common European taxation policy by 2020, and military units operating under direct EU control by 2020.
    1. I doubt it
    2. I doubt it
    3. You're probably right on that
    4. Perhaps, but that would most probably be to harmonise the fiscal policies of euro countries, and so non-Eurozone countries would be excluded. In my view such a measure would be a welcome thing.
    5. Again, that is possible. But you would need unanimous support and that seems rather unlikely.

We shall see.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Take control..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Isn't it electoral fraud to take a camera into the polling station?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I wasnt told otherwise while there, nor did they stop me taking out my phone in order to capture a picture.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Nope, it's illegal to reveal how somebody else voted hence why you are advised not to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    No, you just mustn't take a picture of the identification number on the ballot paper, or take a photo of someone else's ballot paper as JD says.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    I wasnt told otherwise while there, nor did they stop me taking out my phone in order to capture a picture.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay.

I was actually supprised at the lack of people (in/out) at the doors like there are for local and general elections.
    Nope, it's illegal to reveal how somebody else voted hence why you are advised not to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahhhh, that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Anecdotally it seems that there are a lot more leave voters but polls have remain ahead.

Either leave voters are a lot louder or the polls have it horribly wrong again.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.