Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. All the primary pgce-ers how confident were you with your subject knowledge before beginning the course? Did you feel that it developed a lot over the year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    It's natural to feel upset. I had to hold back tears when I got sent home at the halfway point of an interview! Felt really stupid asking for feedback and standing there quite clearly really upset. But it's normal, it's the same reason it can still feel upsetting to get bad feedback on a lesson even when it's done really nicely and you completely agree with the feedback... You feel inadequate.

But remember you're doing good! If you find a school you want to work at like your placement school then you cpuld be a great teacher there. But if you don't, you will find something else. Honestly! You will!

(Original post by kwhite7)
    Hi everyone. All the primary pgce-ers how confident were you with your subject knowledge before beginning the course? Did you feel that it developed a lot over the year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    On some things I was good, on others I had very little. Even on the good ones though there are certain school specific things to learn, for example I did a maths degree but I learnt more on the PGCE about categorising shapes and learnt the formal written methods for calculations (though they still make no sense to me!!!). In English I again knew quite a bit and had some phonics knowledge already, but I had no idea about things like clauses in sentences, types of words beyond the standard verb, adverb/jective, noun and proper noun. I learnt lots of this through an assignment designed to increase our knowledge.

There is so much you could cover out there you will never know it all. I taught Jewish Friday Night Dinner and had to research it when planning to learn things myself. But that is fine... You wont be expected to know everything, just to take the responsibility for finding out things you don't know in areas you need to teach.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    It's natural to feel upset. I had to hold back tears when I got sent home at the halfway point of an interview! Felt really stupid asking for feedback and standing there quite clearly really upset. But it's normal, it's the same reason it can still feel upsetting to get bad feedback on a lesson even when it's done really nicely and you completely agree with the feedback... You feel inadequate.

But remember you're doing good! If you find a school you want to work at like your placement school then you cpuld be a great teacher there. But if you don't, you will find something else. Honestly! You will!

On some things I was good, on others I had very little. Even on the good ones though there are certain school specific things to learn, for example I did a maths degree but I learnt more on the PGCE about categorising shapes and learnt the formal written methods for calculations (though they still make no sense to me!!!). In English I again knew quite a bit and had some phonics knowledge already, but I had no idea about things like clauses in sentences, types of words beyond the standard verb, adverb/jective, noun and proper noun. I learnt lots of this through an assignment designed to increase our knowledge.

There is so much you could cover out there you will never know it all. I taught Jewish Friday Night Dinner and had to research it when planning to learn things myself. But that is fine... You wont be expected to know everything, just to take the responsibility for finding out things you don't know in areas you need to teach.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know, you're right. I'm just annoyed that I bothered doing this course. I am not qualified to teach alevel because I don't have enough experience of it, and I'm not qualified to teach my pgce subject at secondary because I don't have a degree in it. So I am qualified to teach nothing.

I am a good teacher. No, I am an outstanding teacher. I genuinely care about my pupils. I plan amazing lessons. Yet interviewers apparently know me better than I know myself. I have successfully hidden the fact that my background is not in R.E. on this course and people are shocked when they find out. I make a conscious effort to increase my subject knowledge. Yet it's still not good enough. Nothing I do is good enough and this whole course has been a waste of time for me. I will be a qualified teacher. But of what?

Sorry. ..I am having a major sulk at the moment. I am worried about my future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

(Original post by kpwxx)

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. It's really upset me to be honest, and I don't even know why. It is nothing new to anyone on this thread that I am unsure about teaching anyway. I guess I'm just scared of the future. I don't know what I'll be doing in September and I know deep down I don't want to apply for anymore teaching jobs because I don't realistically feel I could do them. But I have no alternatives. I'm going to end up unemployed and overqualified . I wish I could get a job at my placement school. I love it there, I'll be sad to leave.
    Hiya Hun,

I have been reading your posts since we started this PGCE. Noticed such a massive difference in your confidence, from the girl who wanted to quit and was so close to doing so to someone who can now say she's an excellent teacher and she may just like this thing called teaching!

That's a massive accomplishment in itself - honestly is.

It can be hard at times, it's one of the toughest things to be relentlessly criticized day in day out, what other profession does this?! I mean you have your reviews with the manager in a normal office job but he doesn't sit next to you and pick out the grammar and spelling mistakes in your report!

Don't feel bad about being upset, unsure or confused it's natural, we have all had those days where we go into the toilet for the sake of crying. Crying at 'why did I decide to torture myself this way', 'what was I thinking', 'what a waste of my time!' and so on. And it is okay to cry once in a while but we musnt dwell on those thoughts too much, pick yourself back up and say - I have come so far achieved so much, no way in hell am I quitting now no matter what the future holds.

There will be a school, an interviewer who sees past you not having a 'degree' and will hire you - it just requires some patience (I know I need to take my own advise), but keep going, this year was not wasted at all, you've got a bright future ahead of you, chin up! xx

ReputationRep:
    I know, you're right. I'm just annoyed that I bothered doing this course. I am not qualified to teach alevel because I don't have enough experience of it, and I'm not qualified to teach my pgce subject at secondary because I don't have a degree in it. So I am qualified to teach nothing.

I am a good teacher. No, I am an outstanding teacher. I genuinely care about my pupils. I plan amazing lessons. Yet interviewers apparently know me better than I know myself. I have successfully hidden the fact that my background is not in R.E. on this course and people are shocked when they find out. I make a conscious effort to increase my subject knowledge. Yet it's still not good enough. Nothing I do is good enough and this whole course has been a waste of time for me. I will be a qualified teacher. But of what?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just out of interest what made you choose an RE PGCE?

As others have said, something better will come along. What's meant to be will be

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your university would not have let you train in that subject if they thought you weren't up for it. All you have to do is keep trying because you've got this. You can teach and you clearly want to teach if you're this upset at something holding you back.

You will get there and we'll all be a lovely little NQT family in the end. Okay?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your support. It means a lot. I'm just a bit low at the moment! My uni tutor cheered me up this morning though.
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I do feel sorry for you. I know it can seem like the end of the world at moments like this, but it never actually is. Time is a great healer and something will turn up when you least expect it.

(Original post by kpwxx)

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Sam89)
    Hiya Hun,

I have been reading your posts since we started this PGCE. Noticed such a massive difference in your confidence, from the girl who wanted to quit and was so close to doing so to someone who can now say she's an excellent teacher and she may just like this thing called teaching!

That's a massive accomplishment in itself - honestly is.

It can be hard at times, it's one of the toughest things to be relentlessly criticized day in day out, what other profession does this?! I mean you have your reviews with the manager in a normal office job but he doesn't sit next to you and pick out the grammar and spelling mistakes in your report!

Don't feel bad about being upset, unsure or confused it's natural, we have all had those days where we go into the toilet for the sake of crying. Crying at 'why did I decide to torture myself this way', 'what was I thinking', 'what a waste of my time!' and so on. And it is okay to cry once in a while but we musnt dwell on those thoughts too much, pick yourself back up and say - I have come so far achieved so much, no way in hell am I quitting now no matter what the future holds.

There will be a school, an interviewer who sees past you not having a 'degree' and will hire you - it just requires some patience (I know I need to take my own advise), but keep going, this year was not wasted at all, you've got a bright future ahead of you, chin up! xx
    This is lovely - thank you so much. It means more than you know. xx
    (Original post by laura.a.c265)
    Just out of interest what made you choose an RE PGCE?

As others have said, something better will come along. What's meant to be will be

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know that is the way to think about it. I will have to wait and see.

Ironically, the reason I did an R.E. PGCE is because I wanted to help my employability by training in a national curriculum subject. I always wanted to teach A-Level originally, but I thought if I do a secondary PGCE then I could use that for both age ranges and it would help me get a job. I don't think it has helped at all though...
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Your university would not have let you train in that subject if they thought you weren't up for it. All you have to do is keep trying because you've got this. You can teach and you clearly want to teach if you're this upset at something holding you back.

You will get there and we'll all be a lovely little NQT family in the end. Okay?
    Yeah, I'm sort of annoyed that they let me on, but oh well. My uni tutor said today that they have had plenty to teachers with all sorts of subject backgrounds so I'm just waiting for somewhere to give me a chance.

Yes we need to stick together as NQTs! This thread really helps along the journey.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Honestly, it's so so natural to have these moments of weakness.

Interviewers get such a tiny snapshot of you on a day - you not getting the job doesn't mean that you suck - if you sucked, you wouldn't have been kept on for the rest of the day.

Of course you'll be qualified to teach RE... You wouldn't have been allowed on the course if you weren't capable of teaching RE! Plenty of history teachers I have met over the last year don't have a degree in history. Same with RE teachers, same with a lot of teachers.

Don't give up!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your support. It means a lot. I'm just a bit low at the moment! My uni tutor cheered me up this morning though.

This is lovely - thank you so much. It means more than you know. xx

I know that is the way to think about it. I will have to wait and see.

Ironically, the reason I did an R.E. PGCE is because I wanted to help my employability by training in a national curriculum subject. I always wanted to teach A-Level originally, but I thought if I do a secondary PGCE then I could use that for both age ranges and it would help me get a job. I don't think it has helped at all though...

Yeah, I'm sort of annoyed that they let me on, but oh well. My uni tutor said today that they have had plenty to teachers with all sorts of subject backgrounds so I'm just waiting for somewhere to give me a chance.

Yes we need to stick together as NQTs! This thread really helps along the journey.
    Just to add to the positivity - I'm training in maths and physics, which means I teach four subjects (biology, chemistry, physics and maths). Yet my degree is straight physics. I've been employed to teach all four of these next year, as have several of my course mates. Getting turned down for a job can mean all sorts of things, and I've heard some pretty stupid reasons given in the past, so it definitely doesn't mean you're a bad teacher. And even if it was based on your teaching, do you really think a single lesson is an accurate barometer of how good a teacher is in their day-to-day role?

Try to keep positive - there's still a long time to be looking for jobs yet. I'm sure you'll find something that fits you as well as you fit it soon.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Airfairy,
    I thought I'd add a different dimension to the positivity thread!
    I have an early years education degree and 18 years experience in the early years sector. I walked into jobs easily for years and I managed nurseries, worked in a private nursery, a chain, for surestart and as a school TA . Yet I applied for 3 jobs a couple of years ago and failed the interviews. I was trying to redirect my career so applied at Barnardos, at a 6th form college (to teach EY) & at the council to monitor quality.
    I was gutted with 1 but knew the other 2 weren't for me.
    And now I am about to begin the Early Years PGCE through School Direct.
    So my message is that things happen for a reason and if I had got one of those jobs, I wouldn't have applied to teach.
    Not getting a job means a path will become available further down the line and it wouldn't have been an option had you got this post.
    Keep positive and believe in yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hi

im in my last placement of primary pgce, i did really well in ks2 before Christmas, but I am in ks1 now and not doing very well at all, lots of RI lesson observations, struggling to plan the way my mentor wants, struggling to think of creative ways to engage children at a simple level.
    struggling in general, my mentor has subtly made me aware that shes not a fan of me or my teaching either and im so scared that I am going to fail, I just can't do it.

sorry to put this on you guys

Buttons

ReputationRep:
    Buttons....I can't offer much advice without loads more information and as I am from Scotland things are a bit different. Ask for observations and feedback and offer honest self evaluations at the discussion afterwards. I would be making the learning as active as possible to engage the children through games for numeracy, literacy and spelling and using a storyline approach to social studies and science. Make them want to learn and they will. Message me if you want any specific advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buttons39)
    hi

im in my last placement of primary pgce, i did really well in ks2 before Christmas, but I am in ks1 now and not doing very well at all, lots of RI lesson observations, struggling to plan the way my mentor wants, struggling to think of creative ways to engage children at a simple level.
    struggling in general, my mentor has subtly made me aware that shes not a fan of me or my teaching either and im so scared that I am going to fail, I just can't do it.

Buttons
    Ks1 kids in particular always need to be doing things. Look on the Internet for starter/plenary games, they are great. Sorry I haven't got a lot of advice, I am only just starting to move on from RI myself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buttons39)
    hi

Buttons
    Is your mentor telling you specific things you need to improve? If so what are they. If so ask her up front what your targets should be and if she isn't being clear on what they are speak to your uni tutor.

Try borrowing lots of ideas from others, either from the TES website or from your mentor herself. There's nothing wrong with doing the same thing if it's enjoyed by them.

Happy to help more with more specific things, don't panic, they should be supporting you to pass so if you aren't getting that make sure you say so!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know exactly how you feel. I've been rejected at a number of interviews and I felt the same way. However I've now been offered an NQT job! My advise to you would be to keep going, all you can do is try your best. If it's not written, it won't happen no matter how hard you try for an interview.

All you have to do though is to try your hardest (which I'm sure you already do) and if you don't get offered a job, don't worry. There is something that will come along, just be patient for it and I promise it will be better for you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    On a Duke of Edinburgh with some of my pupils and it's so lovely. I don't want to leave my placement school. They're all so lovely :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Got an essay due in on tuesday, motivation is currently very low lol

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else feel like they're stagnating?

I've improved SO much since September but it just seems like in the last few weeks, I've not been getting any better.

Spoke to my mentor about it and we've come up with an action plan so I'm looking forward to trying out some new ideas and seeing if that helps at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Anyone else feel like they're stagnating?

I've improved SO much since September but it just seems like in the last few weeks, I've not been getting any better.

Spoke to my mentor about it and we've come up with an action plan so I'm looking forward to trying out some new ideas and seeing if that helps at all!
    Teaching is an organic process and goes in phases. Kids also don't respond in automatic ways either. Sometimes you'll get nowhere at all, other times you'll have real eureka moments. I had a lesson last week when I felt like I'd been teaching a fortnight instead of 30+ years. It's the way it is.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.