Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zyyz)
    Easily, Brazilians are always worth more. Look at hulk. English players are worth more than they should be, that's just how it is
    There is a difference between the value of a player and what he is actually worth. Brazilians are valued more because of the league they play in which is more suitable for forward players. You won't see a Brazilian defender valued at £20m even because everyone knows that Brazilian defence is horrible.

Of course it also comes back to the strength of the national side which determines the value of a player. For example, if a player from Spain emerges and does exceptionally well, his value automatically increases. The reason is that to do well in a country like Spain, you would have to be pretty amazing.

So its not exactly the nationality in itself of the player that determines the value, its a combination of the league they play in and the strength of their national side. In Neymar's case, he was valued so high because of the league he was playing in and I think he had a really good agent who gave him this image.

ReputationRep:
    Where are all the links to DM's?? We need one just as much as we need a better striker, in fact imo we need one more. We have strikers we don't actually own a starting DM... One that can tackle that is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry-AA)
    Where are all the links to DM's?? We need one just as much as we need a better striker, in fact imo we need one more. We have strikers we don't actually own a starting DM... One that can tackle that is.
    Wenger is waiting to see what happens with cesc first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    Wenger is waiting to see what happens with cesc first
    And how do you know that? And if that is the case then we're going to have the same situation where we get to the end of the window and we haven't made a signing and waste £8-15m on a sub-standard player who's career we ruin.

ReputationRep:
    Im starting to fall a little bit in love with Poldi

ReputationRep:
    Honestly who's confident that we'll get Suarez? I think we will get him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    hope so

if we sign suarez lads he will score 28 + goals we will win the fa cup, carling cup and reach champions league semi final next year quote me 25th july noon

dpmo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    There is a difference between the value of a player and what he is actually worth. Brazilians are valued more because of the league they play in which is more suitable for forward players. You won't see a Brazilian defender valued at £20m even because everyone knows that Brazilian defence is horrible.

Of course it also comes back to the strength of the national side which determines the value of a player. For example, if a player from Spain emerges and does exceptionally well, his value automatically increases. The reason is that to do well in a country like Spain, you would have to be pretty amazing.

So its not exactly the nationality in itself of the player that determines the value, its a combination of the league they play in and the strength of their national side. In Neymar's case, he was valued so high because of the league he was playing in and I think he had a really good agent who gave him this image.
    Well that show's you're talking out of your ass mate thiago silva went to PSG for 45 million euro's.

Marcelo would also exceed your 20 million cut off point for Brazilian defenders.

I can't take you seriously

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    I don't think so. Liverpool seem really intent on getting at least £50m and I doubt Arsenal would be prepared to go that far. But I hope we do - he alone will take us up a level or two.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else think the RvP deal makes a lot of sense now? I don't think he will outdo his 11/12 record, especially under a new manager who hasn't won a thing, and he's only getting older. Could imagine SAF told Wenger about his plans and how he's wants to end on a high, thus wanting RvP. Arsenal's stance on this would've been selling off a prized asset but in the knowledge that we will have our time, our glory in the near future. If we sign Suarez, then we haven't lost anything and have in fact gained considering his great record and young age, all in the sacrifice of just one season (12/13).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zyyz)
    Well that show's you're talking out of your ass mate thiago silva went to PSG for 45 million euro's.

Marcelo would also exceed your 20 million cut off point for Brazilian defenders.

I can't take you seriously
    I stopped taking you seriously way back when you said Neymar is better than Suarez. And now youre saying that the value of a player depends on his nationality? Listen to yourself. Its like your contradicting yourself..just to start an argument

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midnightice)
    Anyone else think the RvP deal makes a lot of sense now? I don't think he will outdo his 11/12 record, especially under a new manager who hasn't won a thing, and he's only getting older. Could imagine SAF told Wenger about his plans and how he's wants to end on a high, thus wanting RvP. Arsenal's stance on this would've been selling off a prized asset but in the knowledge that we will have our time, our glory in the near future. If we sign Suarez, then we haven't lost anything and have in fact gained considering his great record and young age, all in the sacrifice of just one season (12/13).
    Selling the best player in the league to a team who are where we wanna be will never make sense and I dont think your scenario is really realistic to be honest, from what I heard Ferguson didnt know he was gonna retire till about March when RVP had been there for 8 months, and there is no way to rationalise it for Arsenal you just try and maximise the money and move on but to be fair we were basically over the barrel with his contract expiring. Hopefully Liverpool will make the same mistake with Suarez but I have my doubts

ReputationRep:
    You won't see a Brazilian defender valued at £20m even because everyone knows that Brazilian defence is horrible.
    Let me get this straight: Thiago Silva, David Luiz, Dani Alves and Marcelo are not worth £20m? What about Lucio and Maicon in their prime? Roberto Carlos? Cafu?

Seems to me like you've been smoking a bit too much of John W. Henry's waccy baccy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Let me get this straight: Thiago Silva, David Luiz, Dani Alves and Marcelo are not worth £20m? What about Lucio and Maicon in their prime? Roberto Carlos? Cafu?

Seems to me like you've been smoking a bit too much of John W. Henry's waccy baccy.
    It doesn't have anything to do with their nationality which was my original point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)

I think he meant defenders who are plying their trade in the Brazillian league won't fetch 20mil.

The players you listed all made their name in Europe.

On the flip side, you see plenty of attacking players who play in Brazil/South America, who do make moves for 20mil+

ReputationRep:
    I think it's fair to say Brazilian forwards are valued higher than their defenders. As a country Brazil is automatically associated with attacking football. They've actually had a lot of very good defenders, but they often get overlooked for the flamboyance of their attack. It's an old fashioned view, really, to value their attacking players, but I see where it's come from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    I think he meant defenders who are plying their trade in the Brazillian league won't fetch 20mil.

The players you listed all made their name in Europe.

On the flip side, you see plenty of attacking players who play in Brazil/South America, who do make moves for 20mil+
    Yeah, that makes sense. I thought he genuinely believed Brazilian defenders didn't fetch for much.

Marquinhos.....

ReputationRep:
    You're not getting suarez. I very highly doubt you're getting suarez. I can say that right now he'll be at liverpool or he'll be a madrid player or a bayern player. Funny how everyone was confident of getting higuain and jovetic. Higuain got snapped up by napoli ffs. Liverpool are going to squeeze every penny out for suarez, if he has a release clause you'll be paying that release clause. It's not worth it for arsenal to buy him when there are other areas in the team that need clear fixing.

Im starting to fall a little bit in love with Poldi

Like that video :rofl: Mertesacker is too tall man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    You're not getting suarez. I very highly doubt you're getting suarez. I can say that right now he'll be at liverpool or he'll be a madrid player or a bayern player. Funny how everyone was confident of getting higuain and jovetic. Higuain got snapped up by napoli ffs. Liverpool are going to squeeze every penny out for suarez, if he has a release clause you'll be paying that release clause. It's not worth it for arsenal to buy him when there are other areas in the team that need clear fixing.

Like that video :rofl: Mertesacker is too tall man.
    "Snapped up" for 34 million though. Way too much for him IMO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    "Snapped up" for 34 million though. Way too much for him IMO
    Overpaid but tbh napoli can afford him, so can you and it's a position they needed to be filled. Might as well pay 34 million then unless you can get someone on the cheap that's willing to go to your club.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.