Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Teaching is an organic process and goes in phases. Kids also don't respond in automatic ways either. Sometimes you'll get nowhere at all, other times you'll have real eureka moments. I had a lesson last week when I felt like I'd been teaching a fortnight instead of 30+ years. It's the way it is.
    Heh, I've noticed that just in the short time I've been teaching too! It's nice to know that it still affects seasoned pros! I'm going to go right back to basics ansd make some fresh medium term plans which will hopefully make me more aware of my end game for units

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Heh, I've noticed that just in the short time I've been teaching too! It's nice to know that it still affects seasoned pros! I'm going to go right back to basics ansd make some fresh medium term plans which will hopefully make me more aware of my end game for units
    I'm a firm believer that if you are going to be a decent teacher, you will get there in the end. The difficulty with being on teaching practice is that the kids know you aren't their 'real' teacher, no matter how hard everyone tries to make it look that way. Once you have a job, everyone knows you are in for the long haul and it alters the dynamic.

ReputationRep:
    Some time ago I made the mistake of rejecting an interview since I had my plates full with things. I'm kind of regretting it now given that I have no time on my PGCE course now to actually do pre-visits to primary schools before sending off application.

At the moment, I just don't want to look at job applications. I don't know how I'm meant to organise pre-visits without taking time off my placement.

Bleh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tombola)
    Some time ago I made the mistake of rejecting an interview since I had my plates full with things. I'm kind of regretting it now given that I have no time on my PGCE course now to actually do pre-visits to primary schools before sending off application.

At the moment, I just don't want to look at job applications. I don't know how I'm meant to organise pre-visits without taking time off my placement.

Bleh.
    Lots of schools organise set pre visits after school hours which can be useful if they're within around half an hour of your placement, or they might let you visit then anyway. Obviously not ideal as there aren't children there, but you sometimes see after school clubs and can still get a good feel for what's important to them. You also get to see the school lots on interview day so you can reinforce the visit and if you change your mind just say so and leave.

Other than that, I arranged all my visits in my PPA time. Again not perfect but at least you won't miss teaching hours!

Also, I empathise with the feeling, it is very overwhelming and often feels easier to just put it off. So don't feel bad about that. You made the choice before because it felt right for you. That's all you can do. But the more you apply the less scary it gets... You already have a good PS/application since you got an interview, so that's one big step passed!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I feel exactly the same - my lesson obs are not getting any better - currently on a 3a from my 2nd placement, and on a progress alert (secondary PGCE) for a few weeks and I've just found that there should have been a plan for me helping with specific areas I need help with - there was not.

my KS4 is a real sticking point for me - my mentor is realy nice and helpful, but I only have KS3 with ther, I have (as admitted by the class teacher) a very difficult yr 10 class and the rest of my KS4 is year 9 and taught with the HOD who is not helpful at all - she refuses to plan with me, but complains every lesson I plan for her is not good enough. I am being formally observed in every lesson and the stress is really getting me down. When I have to plan for the HOD I go blank and freeze. I've wasted the whole long weekend procrastinating and I have an essay due tomorrow - it will definitely be late.

My tutor os coming to observe me tomorrow and I'm going to try and raise some of these points with her - not holding out much hope as the last time I tried to she told me to speak to a friend of mine who she trained a few years ago - I was kind of hoping she might put herself out for me - after all I am paying 9K for this!!!!

I feel like this whole year has been a huge waste of time and money.

ReputationRep:
    Seek help from your mentor for all the lessons, she should be able to liaise with the HOD to find out what you need support with. Is this tour final placement? I would expect you to be quite independent by now so if you need help they should be there for you..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've seen a support job that sounds pretty good. Pay isn't amazing but it's workable for the first year or so. I want to apply, but at the same time I am worried that once I go down the support route then I won't be able to turn back to teaching. If I do supply, I would have been getting constant teaching experience, but if I do this support role then I won't have any teaching exp for the year.

I know I have had my doubts about teaching but I don't know if I'm ready to jump ship yet. Yet the support role is exactly what I'd want to do in a support job. Gah, I don't know.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I've seen a support job that sounds pretty good. Pay isn't amazing but it's workable for the first year or so. I want to apply, but at the same time I am worried that once I go down the support route then I won't be able to turn back to teaching. If I do supply, I would have been getting constant teaching experience, but if I do this support role then I won't have any teaching exp for the year.

I know I have had my doubts about teaching but I don't know if I'm ready to jump ship yet. Yet the support role is exactly what I'd want to do in a support job. Gah, I don't know.
    Speak to your tutor/mentor and see if they can give you some advice. Personally, I'd say if it's a job you think you want to do then go for it! You're obviously still unsure about teaching (which is fine) and this would be a good way to have some time to think about it whilst keeping yourself involved in education. Plus, I would imagine working at a school in a support role would mean you would be first to know if a job came up, and they'd already know they could trust you. If the only thing stopping you from applying is worry over not getting teaching experience, I wouldn't imagine that would be a massive issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grant2007)
    Seek help from your mentor for all the lessons, she should be able to liaise with the HOD to find out what you need support with. Is this tour final placement? I would expect you to be quite independent by now so if you need help they should be there for you..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hi yes it is my final placement - I know I SHOULD be independent but since all my classes are shared between the teachers and I don't teach any KS4 classes for all of their timetable I'm dependent on getting the info from the teachers as to how far they have got and what needs to be done next - this sometimes (often) only happens the day before and it's still taking ages for me to plan and make materials....

I jsut feel so useless and as if this has been a huge waste of time and money - i just figure i may as well stick it out and fail - at least I won't have to put 'I gave up' on my CV...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saint71)
    hi yes it is my final placement - I know I SHOULD be independent but since all my classes are shared between the teachers and I don't teach any KS4 classes for all of their timetable I'm dependent on getting the info from the teachers as to how far they have got and what needs to be done next - this sometimes (often) only happens the day before and it's still taking ages for me to plan and make materials....

I jsut feel so useless and as if this has been a huge waste of time and money - i just figure i may as well stick it out and fail - at least I won't have to put 'I gave up' on my CV...
    What do you teach?
    The best bit of advice I got from my first mentor during my PGCE was to not make my own resources all of the time as I would not have time to do it in my NQT year for every lesson. He actually threatened not to sign me off for the next placement (I think he was joking...).

When I got into my NQT year (last year) there definitely was not enough time to make the powerpoints, worksheets, answer sheets etc and I also found that the stuff I used in my PGCE didn't end up being suitable the next year (I look back now and I find that I think WTF was I thinking?! haha)
    I then got into my NQT+1 year and oh my god is that harder! There's less PPA time, there is more marking as you have a heavier class load and it if wasn't for the fact I had become comfortable with using other people's resources I would have gone absolutely crazy!

I don't mean to scare you.... I just want to let you know (and encourage you) that it is ok to use resources from other places. Being a maths teacher this might make it easier for me. But TES is a fantastic place for resources, as are many other sites.

Also I found that as my teaching progresses I'm quicker at making the powerpoints with the information I need but the thing that takes me ages is having the animations as perfect as I want. I've learnt that to accept that "appear" and "on click" will just have to do until I have enough time/can be bothered to come back to it... Especially if it's the first time I've taught that topic as I may never end up using that particular slide again.

ReputationRep:
    Don't give up. Class sharing is really hard as you really do depend on them passing on information. It is so much easier when it is all your own class, I promise. Don't make everything yourself, use resources they already have, especially if you get short notice. Good luck.

Scottish training is very different to English. In Scotland you would be on full responsibility with no sharing, much easier to plan for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

It might be worth speaking to your HOD/someone in the SMT in your school and asking them whether or not they'd consider applications for a job from someone who had completed a PGCE but then worked in a school support role for a year?

ReputationRep:

I would say go for it if it's something you think you'll like. You could easily explain a year in a support role... You just didn't find a position that was just right for you this year. Plenty of trainees don't start NQT for a year or so.

Having said that what could be more of a barrier is the worry/stress if it. If it was me having doubts like yours and I went in to the support position I feel like I'd perhaps be too nervous to apply for a teaching position afterwards when I was already 'comfortable'.

I can imagine it's really hard to decide, especially since you had a negative first placement experience so are slightly behind on the positive feelings, only recently starting to see how you've developed so much etc. But no harm can come from applying and it will give you more experience/info about the support area, as well as giving you thinking time.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys I have an interview tomorrow the school is literally 5 mins away from me, I have been preparing for it all weekend but I'm so nervous to an extent that I want to make an excuse not to go last minute

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, does anyone have children here? I have a three year old about to embark on a Primary PGCE. It would be nice to hear from any current PGCE students juggling children!! Thanks x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    Guys I have an interview tomorrow the school is literally 5 mins away from me, I have been preparing for it all weekend but I'm so nervous to an extent that I want to make an excuse not to go last minute
    Good luck. If it helps lots of people feel that way with interviews, you'll be fine let us know how you get on.

ReputationRep:
    Just had to call in sick to school today. Hardly slept last night for being ill and tummy being really unhappy, feel so bad when im hardly in this week because of bank holiday, university and an interview but not in a state to be anything but the biggest cow in the universe if i was teaching today
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Feeling a bit rough today. Just a little like I've stalled and I need to pick myself up again. Working too hard and ignoring uni work too and my tutor is in in two weeks time for my final uni observation and my folders are looking a bit... empty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Good luck. If it helps lots of people feel that way with interviews, you'll be fine let us know how you get on.
    Thank you I really regret going to the interview now.. I spent most of my weekend and all of last night planning my lesson and giving it everything. I got in and my nerves got the better of me, stuttered a lot - all over the place.

They didn't take me past the interview stage and I really did feel like crying and angry at the same time because I tried so hard for this. My pace was slow I agree - he said something like you need to move on because we did that 5 years ago which was kind of harsh and a tad rude.. And then said but you'll make a good teacher I'm sure and was like thanks for your half empty compliment.

I didn't know I could feel this down trodden after an interview sat her in my car for literally the past hour just staring into thin space.. Wondering if this is the right career for me..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    Thank you I really regret going to the interview now.. I spent most of my weekend and all of last night planning my lesson and giving it everything. I got in and my nerves got the better of me, stuttered a lot - all over the place.

They didn't take me past the interview stage and I really did feel like crying and angry at the same time because I tried so hard for this. My pace was slow I agree - he said something like you need to move on because we did that 5 years ago which was kind of harsh and a tad rude.. And then said but you'll make a good teacher I'm sure and was like thanks for your half empty compliment.

I didn't know I could feel this down trodden after an interview sat her in my car for literally the past hour just staring into thin space.. Wondering if this is the right career for me..
    Oh I'm so sorry to hear you feel this way. PLEASE don't let it put you off going to more interviews. I know that it can scar you, but you built on these things and pick yourself back up. I was majorly nervous for my interview. My hands were shaking when I was giving out my resources. I think most people feel that way.

What did he mean by you need to move on because we did that 5 years ago? He meant your lesson was outdated or something? If that's what he meant then that's certainly a rude way to put it, BUT it is helpful feedback for the future if it's true.

We all have doubts about this career. I know that for sure! If you were having doubts anyway then that's fine, but if they have only appeared because of this interview then they are not real doubts. You are just feeling low in confidence. My friend who is an NQT now had nine interviews before she got her job. I don't know how she managed because like you, I feel pretty hopeless after one! You just need to keep going. If you are lacking in confidence then it won't be the worst thing in the world if you do supply for a bit in September because I've heard it's excellent for confidence and experience.

Keep going. Talk to your mentor about it. Mine made me feel a lot better. :hugs:

(Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Feeling a bit rough today. Just a little like I've stalled and I need to pick myself up again. Working too hard and ignoring uni work too and my tutor is in in two weeks time for my final uni observation and my folders are looking a bit... empty.
    I feel the same! I feel I reached a peak and now I'm going backwards a bit. Like I've lost sight of my targets a bit and am just trying to get through. I think it's normal though...? :lol:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Just had to call in sick to school today. Hardly slept last night for being ill and tummy being really unhappy, feel so bad when im hardly in this week because of bank holiday, university and an interview but not in a state to be anything but the biggest cow in the universe if i was teaching today
    We all get sick, don't worry too much about it. I've had a stupid amount of days off and I feel even more sick with guilt when I have to ring in!

(Original post by kpwxx)
    I would say go for it if it's something you think you'll like. You could easily explain a year in a support role... You just didn't find a position that was just right for you this year. Plenty of trainees don't start NQT for a year or so.

Having said that what could be more of a barrier is the worry/stress if it. If it was me having doubts like yours and I went in to the support position I feel like I'd perhaps be too nervous to apply for a teaching position afterwards when I was already 'comfortable'.

I can imagine it's really hard to decide, especially since you had a negative first placement experience so are slightly behind on the positive feelings, only recently starting to see how you've developed so much etc. But no harm can come from applying and it will give you more experience/info about the support area, as well as giving you thinking time.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the advice. There is two jobs at this college. One is the support job, the other is a teaching role. I have applied for the teaching role today, so obviously I am not so optimistic about getting the support role afterwards because applying for two jobs at the same place is never a good thing. It is a really hard decision though so I'm just taking it as it comes. I keep telling myself there is always supply for a bit if I don't get anything.

But yes, the comfort aspect is a little worrying and I do think I would end up sticking in support. Not like that would massively bother me, I guess the pay would be at the back of my mind though...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.