UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .......Jeff458)
    Thanks soo much guys. I'll be sure to update you when i GET BACK :'
    great!b once again, good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    I think 12/20 is fine tbh! In mocks I basically averaged overall about 650 which equates to 22-23 right out of 36 in the Kaplan book scoring sheet! I got 780 in QR and I used the calculator for every question as I don't trust myself to use mental maths when I'm rushed especially 😂 be quick on the num pad! And write down numbers you need on the whiteboard especially big ones as if its multi-step you don't want to have to go back and re calculate the first part as you accidentally typed the wrong number in your calculator! Id say similar to medify, mine were harder than UKCAT ninja thats for sure! Some questions were a lot easier than medify (only a few though). If you can understand the data on medify then I'd say you are good to go! Also try not to look at what you are typing with your fingers just look at the screen as this saves valuable seconds if you type it correctly anyway but if you are familiar with num pad you'll be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the tips xxx
    the thing with medify is I find some of the data so loooong and it lets me down. was your data that long? x

ReputationRep:
    heyy!! SERIOUS HELP NEEDED!!! my VR score is literally changing my average sooo much!!!

i need to improve but i don't know what to do about the reading comprehension style questions?? there are just too many options and i don't think that scanning for each option is good cuz it wastes time?
    also how do you scan?? i feel like this is why im not doing too great .. i dont even know how to scan the passage!!

any help will be appreciated!! (

ReputationRep:
    Would a score of 42/48 get me an interview at leicester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    Thanks for the tips xxx
    the thing with medify is I find some of the data so loooong and it lets me down. was your data that long? x
    No my data wasn't long at all like medify was! Like I said some data did stump me though in the real thing as I didn't have enough time to understand it! As long as you don't waste time I think you'll be fine x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No my data wasn't long at all like medify was! Like I said some data did stump me though in the real thing as I didn't have enough time to understand it! As long as you don't waste time I think you'll be fine x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    great!! thanks boo xx

ReputationRep:
    Right. So I just did the official SJT Practice and I got 34/60... which is roughly 39/69 on the real thing... So my question is, what band would that be??

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamin96)
    Hey michaela do you know the manchester cut off scores for dentistry? i got 665 and im a bit worried
    Manchester for dentistry rank applicants based on SJT and also use the PS. Very slight consideration on overall UKCAT score

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsmad123)
    Manchester for dentistry rank applicants based on SJT and also use the PS
    Even though I'm not applying for dentistry, what is the point of the UKCAT score then I'm curious?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Even though I'm not applying for dentistry, what is the point of the UKCAT score then I'm curious?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Im pretty sure its for borderline cases but not 100% sure since I'm not applying for dentistry. The dentistry cut offs for plymouth are like 580 lmao!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsmad123)
    Im pretty sure its for borderline cases but not 100% sure since I'm not applying for dentistry. The dentistry cut offs for plymouth are like 580 lmao!
    When I hear stuff like that it makes me think how lucky I would be with my ukcat if I was applying for dentistry! But don't know if I could handle teeth all day every day lmao I would just be bored tbh😂 although with dentistry you could go into orthodontics which would be quite cool as I've had braces myself years ago!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    any last minute tips for VR? finally got this thing tomorrow! im averaging 550 in medify

ReputationRep:
    Whoah!!! AR+QR Tips pls!!!

KCL, QMUL, Newcastle, Glasgow, St Andrews all need quite high scores. Yours is enough to get u an offer!
    Well I only did about 10 hours preparation beforehand using medify.

QR is much easier in the exam, there will be one hard one every 3 or 4 easy ones. If you know a question will take to long guess.
    Approximate values as much as you can (Unless the 5 answers are very close together)
    Try to do as much mental maths as possible and use the keyboard to type numbers. For averages, I just made an educated guess.

AR I don't know what to say, just count all shapes first, this is the most missed pattern for me. Otherwise just practise the medify AR questions.

Overall, don't worry and take it easy. Don't rush but don't go slow either. I took a break during the DA since it doesn't count and the SJ is easy on time too, so take your time and check over it after.

If you don't do so well, there's always next year and you can apply to Universities which don't focus too much on UKCAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stone101)
    any last minute tips for VR? finally got this thing tomorrow! im averaging 550 in medify
    QR average atm is 580 overall. Read the question first then scan the passage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain127)
    hi how did you find the ukcat and medify mocks in comparison to the actual test? I am struggling with UKCAT pratice and doing kind of okay for medify atm just varies a lot... Was the VR and QR text heavy? Was the AR simplistic patterns generally or did it have multiple conditions? Got mine on Saturday and starting to panic! I botched the test last year so hoping this year I can at least get some inverview experience!
    I did better in my actual UKcat than all my medify mocks bar one (by a margin). VR was text heavy I'm afraid, in my medify mocks I ranged from 530 to 630. QR was not texty, I got a lot of graphs and tables though. These were easy to follow generally. My medify QR was always 630, so saw a significant improvement in my actual text. If you're getting a decent score in medify for qr I would not fret. I would practice AR from as many sources you can and use SCANs. I might have got a difficult lot because I scored 630-770 in my medify mocks. UKcat official mocks were definitely harder, I got around 630 in A and C (some reason didn't do B mock). I think you'll be fine. I'd always read the answer explanations too they helped me a lot. Best x

ReputationRep:
    Any tips in general? Got mine TOMORROW. BWSDLSUBKSBCKMA,SZ AAAAAAATRGRRHRGRHGRHGRRGHGBIUEVG

HELP
    Keep calm...once you're in the test bit, sit down for a bit while the nerves settle, that's what I did before I started. Use decision making time to relax your frazzled noggin after VR. I dwelled on difficult questions on VR so flag the texty ones and smash the tfc ones. Same with QR and AR. Situational judgement... Hard to explain but I place myself as that person and think about how appropriate/important the reaction/thought process is. I got a Band 1 that way. Best x

ReputationRep:
    Which one of the official practice tests was most representative of the real thing? Got mine tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HT98)
    but I'm a Scottish applicant so I don't do AS or A-levels, I do scottish highers and advanced highers instead, so surely ucas tariff includes highers as well. Anyway I've emailed them to ask if I have calculated my ucas tariff correctly.
    https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...iff/calculator
    Use that to calculate. Not sure whether u would get 302 because I don't know how highers work. Don't add two qualifications in the same thing tho, so like an AS is nothing if u have an A2 in it, if there is something like that for highers too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cal1234)
    Well done, great score! How would you say the test compared to medify for each section and could you share your mock results please, thanks!
    Thank you...I'm very happy. The text is generally easier than the Medify Mocks, easier than the official mocks and far easier than the ISC1000 mock.

Here's my scores for Medify mocks (vr, qr, ar, sj)
    Actual test for reference: 590,750,650,1

1-600,630,770,1
    2-630,630,630,2
    3-530,630,700,2

You'll be surprised at how many marks I lost just not reading the question properly! I think I got a rotten lot for the AR. I got a few of those complete the series questions. Though there were some very easy ones, like A had 7 shapes, B had 6 shapes...etc.

Best x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...iff/calculator
    Use that to calculate. Not sure whether u would get 302 because I don't know how highers work. Don't add two qualifications in the same thing tho, so like an AS is nothing if u have an A2 in it, if there is something like that for highers too.
    I would get 238 if I don't count the highers that were the same subjects as the advanced highers. with a ukcat average of 690, what do u think are my chances of an interview at Queen Mary's

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.