• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Matrix123)
    Nope
    Are you a member of the liberals?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am, I'm also a former green leader so if you have any questions, although IM not an authority anymore I can help if you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Ex-green, now a liberal MP
    Oh OK

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I am, I'm also a former green leader so if you have any questions, although IM not an authority anymore I can help if you want.
    Cool. Thanks that's very kind of you, this is my first day actually visiting MHoC. I've just looked up the liberal manifesto and it does look very appealing, but it's mainly the labour and green parties I'm looking into atm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Cool. Thanks that's very kind of you, this is my first day actually visiting MHoC. I've just looked up the liberal manifesto and it does look very appealing, but it's mainly the labour and green parties I'm looking into atm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Vote Liberal if you fancy a £250bn deficit, vote Tory if you want any of the things noted in my signature.

ReputationRep:
    Vote Liberal if you fancy a £250bn deficit, vote Tory if you want any of the things noted in my signature.
    What evidence is there of such a deficit?

And how would I go about accessing your signature?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Personally I'm going to tell you what I think.
    The greens are rather dead right now, not just because they aren't in government but also because they have a small membership so a vote for them isn't really worth it.
    A vote for labour is a vote for an active party but they are very close to socalists a fair bit of the time so you would be better off voting for the real McCoy. They also get a lot of votes so the chances are your vote won't make masses of difference.
    A vote for the liberals is a vote for a centerist party with liberal social veiws and it's a small enough party that your vote is more likely to secure the party a seat from someone else then in labour.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because their policies would cost a lot, and they've not included anything to show where savings can be made. They'd plunge the UK into depression.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    The greens are rather dead right now, not just because they aren't in government but also because they have a small membership so a vote for them isn't really worth it.
    A vote for labour is a vote for an active party but they are very close to socalists a fair bit of the time so you would be better off voting for the real McCoy. They also get a lot of votes so the chances are your vote won't make masses of difference.
    A vote for the liberals is a vote for a centerist party with liberal social veiws and it's a small enough party that your vote is more likely to secure the party a seat from someone else then in labour.
    Your manifesto isn't very centrist.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    lol. Where's your proof we'd run anywhere near a £250bn deficit. The deficit we had was with you as Chancellor!!

Matrix123 Hi there. I'm the Liberal Leader, so if you have any questions, feel free to direct them my way either over PM or in the Liberal Question Time thread
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    lol. Where's your proof we'd run anywhere near a £250bn deficit. The deficit we had was with you as Chancellor!!

Matrix123 Hi there. I'm the Liberal Leader, so if you have any questions, feel free to direct them my way either over PM or in the Liberal Question Time thread
    That you supported. As chancellor I was only carrying out government policy anyway, scapegoating me won't work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I could argue about the idea of me agreeing with the greens and labour more than the liberals but I won't. I guess it's not really that valid at the moment. I see the logic in that though. I do like the manifesto you have. To be completely honest, when I was looking through them I was on the app and just disregarded liberal because I couldn't view it that well.

Sorry if this has a really obvious answer, do you know some of the details of what you've proposed in the manifesto? For example, you said for health you'll legalise euthanasia with specific regulations. Do you know what these regulations will be yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because their policies would cost a lot, and they've not included anything to show where savings can be made. They'd plunge the UK into depression.
    Fair enough

Hi Thanks for that. Oh yeah - I forgot this was the labour thread. I'll head round to the liberal thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Your manifesto isn't very centrist.
    What is it then? It's a very balanced manifesto. How two or three economic policies leads you to spit out such incorrect hyperbole astonishes me, when we consider what you did as Chancellor.

I had to support that budget as Deputy Prime Minister and leader of my party. If I tried to fight you on every issue I would not have won on every issue. Each issue I chose to fight you or your party on, I won with ease, like Corporation Tax or the Welfare Cap, the latter of which was still a compromise too far looking back on it.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I could argue about the idea of me agreeing with the greens and labour more than the liberals but I won't. I guess it's not really that valid at the moment. I see the logic in that though. I do like the manifesto you have. To be completely honest, when I was looking through them I was on the app and just disregarded liberal because I couldn't view it that well.

Sorry if this has a really obvious answer, do you know some of the details of what you've proposed in the manifesto? For example, you said for health you'll legalise euthanasia with specific regulations. Do you know what these regulations will be yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We don't know exactly what they are yet because the bill is yet to be drafted and it will depend of the composition of the house.
    I would suggest moving out of the labour thread to talk about this because it's not fair that we clutter their thread with liberal propaganda
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What is it then? It's a very balanced manifesto. How two or three economic policies leads you to spit out such incorrect hyperbole astonishes me, when we consider what you did as Chancellor.

I had to support that budget as Deputy Prime Minister and leader of my party. If I tried to fight you on every issue I would not have won on every issue. Each issue I chose to fight you or your party on, I won with ease, like Corporation Tax or the Welfare Cap, the latter of which was still a compromise too far looking back on it.
    No you didn't.

Nigel Farage MEP I'm wondering what you make of this. Perhaps you were proved right when you were saying that the liberals had no backbone.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    No you didn't.

Nigel Farage MEP I'm wondering what you make of this. Perhaps you were proved right when you were saying that the liberals had no backbone.
    The budget had good aspects to it. It was the costing rather than the ideas that let it down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    We don't know exactly what they are yet because the bill is yet to be drafted and it will depend of the composition of the house.
    I would suggest moving out of the labour thread to talk about this because it's not fair that we clutter their thread with liberal propaganda
    OK, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The deficit sits at about £100bn with a further 40bn or so blocked, about half an half liberal and labour commitments, the liberal portion of it of they get their way in the next parliament would be increased from about 20 to about 25bn before considering other commitments that are all lower taxes or higher spending

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.