Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I still have 1 day of Medify left and don't want it to go to waste. If anyone wants to use my account please message me!

ReputationRep:
    No one answered my question ! 😞*
    Comprehension style questions do you check each option???* I'm really bad at it😱😱😱*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usa-apple)
    Comprehension style questions do you check each option???* I'm really bad at it😱😱😱*
    It depends

Sometimes the answers don't have obvious keywords in them. If you have time, you can read answer and scan passage. However most times I picked the answer that seemed most plausible, flagged and moved on. I suggest keep practicing timed vr...practice being a scanner!!

Best X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usa-apple)
    I did my UKCAT yesterday and got 610 in verbal, I think I was lucky because I got topics that were nice but my top tip would be to spend slightly longer on the first question and familiarise yourself with the text so actually skim read it really roughly to see what each paragraph is about, then on the next questions you have a better idea of where to look! I hope it goes well, good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't SJT give half marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhoDaresWins)
    Well I got 653.33, there were 3 years where I could have got in and 3 years I couldn't, I hope this year I can Lol

I get a WP flag (and I know you did too) but kinda sucks how it doesn't lower the cut off for us :/

Although my parents didn't go to uni.
    Does it change how your application is viewed if your parents didnt go to uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .......Jeff458)
    Yeah Newcastle is pretty heavy on UKCAT and I do believe Warwick look at your VR score for interview selection and then your overall average after that.

Great score! I am aware King's is HEAVY for UKCAT. People tend to have 700+ plus but I would check cut offs as your score is very good and very close, just make sure you are careful.

mbradley I am aware that Barts is very UKCAT heavy so make on their website or have a look at the cut offs. I have heard Barts being 700+ before but your score is good so I would check.
    You guys all got such amazing scores!!!

If you don't mind me asking, what was so easy about the QR? In Medify I can't break 600 in QR :'( Like I just did the last mock and got 550 on it for QR.

What made it easier in the exam and what scores did you get in mocks if I can ask pls?

Well done once again.
    hey thanks for the advice! sorry i'm only getting back to you now.

In the mocks I think I was getting about 70% but then i ran out of time in AR in the real thing. hope you did/do well!!

ReputationRep:
    I really don't get the Medify dude's explanation for this question. Could anyone explain/break his explanation down for me please?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalp)
    I really don't get the Medify dude's explanation for this question. Could anyone explain/break his explanation down for me please?

Cheers.
    Top Black Box moves 1 to the right
    Middle Black Box (there is 2 overlapping in the first image) 1 stays fixed and the other moves to the right by 1
    Bottom Box moves 2 to the right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mbradley42)
    Not sure actually, I don't really think it does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mbradley42)
    Well that's a requirement to be part of a university access program and once u are apart of that then it'll change how they look but if u aren't they won't even know about ur parents will they

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who has done the UKCAT and kaplan practice tests, how do they compare? I am finding the kaplan mocks quite hard.

ReputationRep:
    Who has their mock today?

ReputationRep:
    .......Jeff458 whens ur test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    WOULD U SAY THAT THE VR passages in the actual test are about this long? xx

[email protected] (FAH or [email protected]) is a distributed computing project for disease research that simulates protein folding, computational drug design, and other types of molecular dynamics. The project uses the idle resources of thousands of personal computers owned by volunteers who have installed the software on their systems. Its primary purpose is to determine the mechanisms of protein folding, which is the process by which proteins reach their final three-dimensional structure, and to examine the causes of protein misfolding. This is of significant academic interest with major implications for medical research into Alzheimer’s disease, Huntington’s disease, and many forms of cancer, among other diseases. To a lesser extent, [email protected] also tries to predict a protein’s final structure and determine how other molecules may interact with it, which has applications in drug design. [email protected] is developed and operated by the Pande Laboratory at Stanford University, under the direction of Prof. Vijay Pande, and is shared by various scientific institutions and research laboratories across the [email protected] is one of the world’s fastest computing systems, with a speed of approximately 40 petaFLOPS: greater than all projects running on the BOINC, another computing platform, combined. This performance from its large-scale computing network has allowed researchers to run computationally expensive atomic-level simulations of protein folding thousands of times longer than previously achieved. Since its launch on October 1, 2000, the Pande Lab has produced 118 scientific research papers as a direct result of [email protected] Results from the project’s simulations agree favorably with experiments.
    It really differs. Some about that big, some smaller and some even longer. They are split into paragraphs though.

(Original post by ellen111)
    does the ukcat get marked differently later on in the examining period? what do you mean they lower later on, mines next week now I'm worried
    It doesn't get marked differently. People tend to do better earlier on because they're not constantly rushing to finish PS and are still in work mode as school would've just finished, that's all. The average scores are higher earlier on in the testing period too because few people do the test at this time. Later on, the average gets lowered as more people do it and there is a wider range of scores.

(Original post by MMedicine94)
    Hey guys!!

I'm a graduate with a 2:1 - I sat my UKCAT for the first time ever last month and these were my results:

VR - 590 (really put me down but the texts were so long!)
    QR - 720
    AR - 750

Average: 686.7

I found AR and QR way easier than all the mocks that I previously done, couldn't believe it!

Do you think I have a chance if I was to apply to King's, Warwick and Newcastle? Does anyone know anything about cutoff scores?

Good luck to the rest of you!
    Last year cut-off for Newcastle was 682.5 for A-Level students; graduate cut-off is higher usually across most unis, but not sure for Newcastle. You'd be cutting it close to apply there as a graduate with a score below 700 if I'm honest.

Warwick look at VR score then average of all scores so again, look at other universities first then decide between one of Warwick/Newcastle - putting down both is very risky.

Unsure on King's.

ReputationRep:
    Just sat my UKCAT and scored 703.33 overall. Does anyone know if universities round the decimal up/down/not at all?

Also, regarding completing the 'Additional Information' on the UKCAT site, all we have to do is include the course(s) we are applying that require UKCAT and then complete the rest of the tick boxes, etc. We don't have to submit our score, or is there anything else that needs to be completed prior to deadline? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain this answer, my test is in 3 hours :confused:
    Name:  asdfghjkl.png
Views: 116
Size:  276.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marathi)
    Just sat my UKCAT and scored 703.33 overall. Does anyone know if universities round the decimal up/down/not at all?
    i don't think that matters...? 703 is good score.. any tips? does it compare to medify?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    i don't think that matters...? 703 is good score.. any tips? does it compare to medify?
    I am a GEM applicant so 703 is not as competitive when compared to undergrad, but should hopefully be enough to get me an interview at Warwick (the only UKCAT uni I am applying to).

I'd say Medify is a good resource. It's definitely not as hard as the ISC book but I'd still recommend doing the ISC stuff.

I felt the VR reading material was longer when compared to UKCAT practise exams and Medify, but found the questions were a bit more straight forward. QR felt pretty similar. AR is AR, some straight forward ones, some I would have never figured out if given all the time in the world!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marathi)
    I am a GEM applicant so 703 is not as competitive when compared to undergrad, but should hopefully be enough to get me an interview at Warwick (the only UKCAT uni I am applying to).

I'd say Medify is a good resource. It's definitely not as hard as the ISC book but I'd still recommend doing the ISC stuff.

I felt the VR reading material was longer when compared to UKCAT practise exams and Medify, but found the questions were a bit more straight forward. QR felt pretty similar. AR is AR, some straight forward ones, some I would have never figured out if given all the time in the world!
    ah i see! im a grad applicant too...yeh should be enough for warwick esp with that VR score , are u applying to gamut/bmat unis?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2017

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.