UCL Medicine 2010 Watch

medimen
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Noble.)
To be honest, people applying to Oxbridge/Imperial/UCL/St. Andrews would have to be more interested in the science/academic side of medicine, because that's the orientation of the course. Medicine is still very academic/scientific, and I'm more interested in that aspect of it, as anyone applying to Oxbridge would have to be.
yes i agree however, medicine does have an element of patient-care etc, no matter where you go. after pre-clinicals at Oxbridge, you will definitely have to go on to clinicals, which will involve patient care. hence i think its the balance, and not just one way or the other.
im not saying that you shouldnt have an interest in science - that's one of the main things that initially draws you to medicine. you yourself said "more interested" - hence you do need to be quite interested in the people-orientated aspect of medicine as well, its really an all-rounded subject.

sorry for my rant, please dont think im having a go at you or anything, its just my opinion
The Megatron
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Offer from UCL - AAA including biol, chem and history
:woo:
Ignoramus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by The Megatron)
Offer from UCL - AAA including biol, chem and history
:woo:
Well done! :woo:

Is UCL your firm?
The Megatron
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ignoramus)
Well done! :woo:

Is UCL your firm?
Pretty much. If i did get an offer from Edinburgh it would be a hard choice but i'd probably go to UCL! :woo:

I'm guessing Keble is your first choice?
Ignoramus
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by The Megatron)
Pretty much. If i did get an offer from Edinburgh it would be a hard choice but i'd probably go to UCL! :woo:

I'm guessing Keble is your first choice?
Yeah it did take me a little while to decide but I think it'll be Oxford as firm, with UCL insurance that is, assuming my offer from Oxford is AAA.
Master.K
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Can somebody tell me why UCL is a 6 year course?
Hippysnake
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Master.K)
Can somebody tell me why UCL is a 6 year course?
Compulsory intercelated Bsc.
roseha
Report 9 years ago
For anyone interested, I just got an offer from UCL for 2010 entry (AAA Chem, Bio, Maths)

My BMAT was 5.9, 5.1, 12.0 so I got an automatic interview (15/12) but I didn't think it went very well because I've found work experience really hard to get and one of the panel seemed quite critical about it. But apparently they liked me because they gave me an offer anyway and I think it just goes to show that it's not how much work experience you get, it's what you learnt from it and how you talk about it.
Scherzando225
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Offer! AAA:banana:
:bl:

:elefant:

:groovy:

:snowm: :snowm: :snowm: :snowm:
Ignoramus
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well done roseha and Scherzando225!
Scherzando225
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well done roseha and Scherzando225!
thank you
The Megatron
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by roseha)
For anyone interested, I just got an offer from UCL for 2010 entry (AAA Chem, Bio, Maths)

My BMAT was 5.9, 5.1, 12.0 so I got an automatic interview (15/12) but I didn't think it went very well because I've found work experience really hard to get and one of the panel seemed quite critical about it. But apparently they liked me because they gave me an offer anyway and I think it just goes to show that it's not how much work experience you get, it's what you learnt from it and how you talk about it.
Were you there in the afternoon?
Ignoramus
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by vutterman)
dude you should withdraw your imperial application... for the sake of the rest of us. increases our chances by 1 person.
I think I will depending on what the Oxford offer is, just have to get the letter from the college which I think should arrive tomorrow.
Wangers
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think I will depending on what the Oxford offer is, just have to get the letter from the college which I think should arrive tomorrow.
Congrats on the offers (disclaimer, I'm a 2nd year ucl medic so I don't really care what you do) save to say please make up your own mind, people who urge you to withdraw applications are motivated by their own selfish interest. Its not selfish to go to more interviews and see how things go, if other people don't get interviews, its not because of you, more because thats how things have worked out, chances are even if you did withdraw it wouldn't go to them anyway.

Anyway, all the best, you'll love it wherever you decide to go
The Megatron
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Wangers)
Congrats on the offers (disclaimer, I'm a 2nd year ucl medic so I don't really care what you do) save to say please make up your own mind, people who urge you to withdraw applications are motivated by their own selfish interest. Its not selfish to go to more interviews and see how things go, if other people don't get interviews, its not because of you, more because thats how things have worked out, chances are even if you did withdraw it wouldn't go to them anyway.

I hope to join you in September
Neomaster121
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Congrats to those people with offers ^__^
Ignoramus
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Wangers)

Thanks, really useful advice, will definitely bear it in mind. I think I will keep my Imperial application in because I'd really really like the chance at an unconditional insurance - just found out my Oxford conditions are ACC, so an unconditional insurance would be good seeing as my dirm is conditional.
Hannah_x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I has an offer
x
Woody.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hannah_x)
I has an offer
x
Congrats
rosettastoned
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hannah_x)
I has an offer
x
Well done! :jumphug: Did it come through today? If so, that's an awesome Christmas present!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed