Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    cheers. whats in the mediafire links? is it the same as whats posted on the thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InvoluntarySlacker)
    Another question that is making me confused :emo:

Suggest how desert mammals, such as the kangaroo rat, are able to obtain water from dry seeds. - 3 marks.

I think I might know this but I'm uncertain. I know they have long loops of henle but I'm guessing dry seeds have retain minimal water so it might have something to do with glucose? Or maybe ADH? I'm thinking the latter. :iiam:
    Seeds are high in protiens, fats and carbohydrates when these compounds are reacted with oxygen, water and carbon dioxide are produced. This provides sufficient water for the kangaroo rat to survive on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Oh yea he did a great job with those papers :P , but yea Hyper-tension / diabetes are the major reason behind it.
    I know that glucose in urine is a sign of diabetes but why? i can't remember why, I'm starting to forget everything I know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chuck111)
    dont the seeds contain carbs,fats and proteins? i think its got sumthing to do with tht but not sure
    They contain proteins. Proteins can't get into the glomerous filtrate. That's all I can think of. It's a really hard question.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yea thats it.
    They have long loop of henle due to which their potential to produce a very less water potential in the medulla is greatly increased, as a result this has some ffect on collecting duct(it eases up the job for the collecting duct area )so water can easily go through osmosis then to the rena vecta (capillaries), ADH stimulates aquaporins to get closer to the plasma membrane of the collectin duct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    I know that glucose in urine is a sign of diabetes but why? i can't remember why, I'm starting to forget everything I know
    isnt it because the blood glucose levels remain high, (hyperglycaemia) therefore the body tries to get rid of it and eventually it leads to it having to be excreted becuase there is so much...hmm i could have put that better but i think thts the main reason

ReputationRep:
    As far as seeds go i think they are major in protein so compared to lipid they wouldn't give that much h20 out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ACDC)
    cheers. whats in the mediafire links? is it the same as whats posted on the thread?
    Yep:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    If there isn't enough insulin or if the target organs (Liver cells/muscle cells) can't respond adequately, the glucose in the blood can not be used or stored. This means there is a higher concentration of glucose that will end up in the kidneys and the glomerous filtrate. The high concentration is too to high for all the glucose to be co-transported out of the nephron in the proximal convoluted tubule so some of it remains in the filtrate. It can't be transported any more so it follows the fluid until it ends up in the bladder.

I think it doesn't get co-transported in the distal proximal convolated tubule because potassium ions are being pumped into the nephron. The reason why? Don't know. :[email protected]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chuck111)
    isnt it because the blood glucose levels remain high, therefore the body tries to get rid of it and eventually it leads to it having to be excreted becuase there is so much...hmm i could have put that better but i think thts the main reason
    I mentioned it earlier anyways its to do with the blood pressure at Glomerus being Unusually High which leads to stuff greater than 65k Mr to manage to get across basement membrane, Podocytes.For diabetes again it effects the blood glucose concetration, and we know high glucose in blood results to lots of changes within the body, cells getting dehydrated which leads to water in blood (More blood pressure)
    both inter-related

ReputationRep:
    Oh yea thats it.
    They have long loop of henle due to which their potential to produce a very less water potential in the medulla is greatly increased, as a result this has some ffect on collecting duct(it eases up the job for the collecting duct area )so water can easily go through osmosis then to the rena vecta (capillaries), ADH stimulates aquaporins to get closer to the plasma membrane of the collectin duct.
    :facepalm2:

That answer is so straightforward. I kinda thought it would be way more complicated so I dismissed it and wrecked my head in protein concentrations affecting water potential. It's just that it has no water in the first bit so it just conserves what is has left. :faceplam2:

I got to check the markscheme to be sure and I don't intend to till I finish. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2:

That answer is so straightforward. I kinda thought it would be way more complicated so I dismissed it and wrecked my head in protein concentrations affecting water potential. It's just that it has no water in the first bit so it just conserves what is has left. :faceplam2:

I got to check the markscheme to be sure and I don't intend to till I finish. :ninja:
    :woo: ya gotta do xD

ReputationRep:
    I mentioned it earlier anyways its to do with the blood pressure at Glomerus being Unusually High which leads to stuff greater than 65k Mr to manage to get across basement membrane, Podocytes.For diabetes again it effects the blood glucose concetration, and we know high glucose in blood results to lots of changes within the body, cells getting dehydrated which leads to water in blood (More blood pressure)
    both inter-related
    But that isn't in the specification.

Although the water potential decreases in blood since there is a high conc of glucose, this will dehydrate the podocytes cells and allow molecules greater than 65k in?

I hate stretch questions.

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nana786)
    Seeds are high in protiens, fats and carbohydrates when these compounds are reacted with oxygen, water and carbon dioxide are produced. This provides sufficient water for the kangaroo rat to survive on.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I dont suppose any body has the answer to my earlier post about phosphorylation :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris999x)
    I dont suppose any body has the answer to my earlier post about phosphorylation :/
    What was the question. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    But that isn't in the specification.

Although the water potential decreases in blood since there is a high conc of glucose, this will dehydrate the podocytes cells and allow molecules greater than 65k in?

I hate stretch questions.
    I don't know about the spec. but i remember my tutor explaining us the relationship between high-glucose level in urine.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about the spec. but i remember my tutor explaining us the relationship between high-glucose level in urine.
    Ah. It's just that this exam is far more detailed than the spec.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris999x)
    Which is?:P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 7, 2016

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.