Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Glad it went well for you today! I fail to see how any of those items are unusual though! What would you be expected to use?
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    I suppose it depends on the school and type of children as to whether these choices would be unusual. Had you done that with my Y3 class they wouldn't have had a clue what celery, broccoli and potentially peas were because in general, vegetables are like a foreign thing that they only ever see at school.

How are you differentiating your input as well as the actual tasks? As you've got a mix of kids in there with some being barely able to write their name or CVC words with others in Y4 being okay with writing full essays if they're into the level 4 boundaries so you'd really need to pitch that kind of thing differently. From what you've said it could be that you're pitching it at a Y2/3 level which makes sense to the younger kids but the Y4s don't get it because its at a level they've surpassed?
    I differentiated, as the yr4 task was slightly harder than the yr2/3 task. The same task, just extended. To be honest, going by year groups doesn't really work in my class. The yr2s are fantastic - they outshine the yr4s almost every lesson. I will definitely remember to pitch things at a lower level now though - I just got carried away.

I suppose it does depend on the children and their background. I didn't expect anything to come as a shock as it is a village school with a large vegetable garden, and the kitchen make a point of telling the children what has been harvested and then using it in the dinners. In fact, there are pictures on the computer system of my class digging up things like potatoes and other vegetables from it themselves. Oh well. No worries. As they say, you can learn more from your mistakes than your triumphs at times.

I met my new teacher today and we decided what I would be doing. I seem to be teaching a lot, but that is to be expected I suppose. I am doing all the literacy, numeracy, science, ICT, RE and history plus one PE lesson. Scary stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    Taught two lessons today.
    One went incredibly well - the children were so engaged and I actually enjoyed it.
    The other went pretty badly, as I pitched it too high. We were looking at food from plants [teacher's choice, not mine] and apparently I picked 'unusual' items [celery, apples, potatoes, strawberries, rice, peas, broccoli] lol. There is no doubting that some of the children didn't get it and that made me feel terrible, but I was slightly surprised by which children did and which children didn't. I am in a mixed year class - year 2, 3 and 4. My year 2s got it and flew. My year 3s pretty much got it and my year 4s were totally lost. I would have put money on it being the other way around. Still, I am not anywhere near as deflated as I was last time - possibly because my morning lesson went so well and possibly because I am refusing to let it upset me.
    Go you! I would have thought they would have known what they are, my daughter knows all those vegetables and she is 4, it makes me a little sad at times when they don't know things like that and it's only at school where they have fruit and veg. What a shame. Good luck with the rest of your lessons.

Well done Noodles

I am being formally observed tomorrow, wish me luck! I'm rather nervous but I hope it goes well! Fingers crossed. eek!

I've also found out my next placement (beginning of Jan for 5 weeks) and it's also in Foundation stage, should I be worried that my last placement (8 weeks starting in April) will then definitely be in KS1, where I haven't had much planning experience? Thoughts anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balloon_parade)
    Go you! I would have thought they would have known what they are, my daughter knows all those vegetables and she is 4, it makes me a little sad at times when they don't know things like that and it's only at school where they have fruit and veg. What a shame. Good luck with the rest of your lessons.

Well done Noodles

I am being formally observed tomorrow, wish me luck! I'm rather nervous but I hope it goes well! Fingers crossed. eek!

I've also found out my next placement (beginning of Jan for 5 weeks) and it's also in Foundation stage, should I be worried that my last placement (8 weeks starting in April) will then definitely be in KS1, where I haven't had much planning experience? Thoughts anyone?
    Thanks.
    Good luck with your lesson tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodles!)
    Victory is mine!!! Against the year 9s I usually fail with, anyway. Finally had the balls to park a couple of them (kick them out of a lesson resulting in lunchtime detention with HOY), and the difference in the class was amazing. Plenty more where that came from kids! Muahaha.
    Tom Bennett would love you for doing that, but Roland Chaplain would seriously question whether that was the right thing to do.

Sometimes, I just wish that the experts would make up their minds, and that there was clearly a "right" thing to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    Tom Bennett would love you for doing that, but Roland Chaplain would seriously question whether that was the right thing to do.

Sometimes, I just wish that the experts would make up their minds, and that there was clearly a "right" thing to do!
    I would honestly love to do all this positive classroom stuff because I think it could work. But I don't think it would work after such a short space of time with a class whose teacher doesn't do it- definitely something to work on when you have your own job/classes. So until then I'll keep dishing out the punishments!

I'm going to up the [strictness] ante with one of my Year 8 forms tomorrow; one or two of them are beginning to get a bit too comfortable with the amicable and laid-back 'me'. I need to work on varying the pitch, volume and tone of my voice.

I shall not work past 7 tonight... I shall not work past 7 tonight... I shall not work past 7 tonight... I shall not work past 7 tonight... I shall not work past 7 tonight... I shall not work past 7 tonight...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Rainy)
      I'm going to up the [strictness] ante with one of my Year 8 forms tomorrow; one or two of them are beginning to get a bit too comfortable with the amicable and laid-back 'me'. I need to work on varying the pitch, volume and tone of my voice.

I shall not work past 7 tonight... I shall not work past 7 tonight... I shall not work past 7 tonight... I shall not work past 7 tonight... I shall not work past 7 tonight... I shall not work past 7 tonight...
      'Never smile before Easter' was one of the mottoes when I did my PGCE. (Admittedly in the Dark Ages.) A bit extreme and hard to follow, but the principle is sound - you can always lighten up when the pecking order in the classroom has been established with you at the top of it, but the reverse is rarely doable. Kick ass now, before it's too late.

(Original post by carnationlilyrose)
        'Never smile before Easter' was one of the mottoes when I did my PGCE. (Admittedly in the Dark Ages.) A bit extreme and hard to follow, but the principle is sound - you can always lighten up when the pecking order in the classroom has been established with you at the top of it, but the reverse is rarely doable. Kick ass now, before it's too late.
        I don't know if I really want to ascribe to that motto but you're so right (as ever!) on the nailing the pecking order stakes. I need to go in with a bit less Jekyll and a lot more Hyde. I'm in full-time and changing up near enough all of my classes after Christmas so it'll be good to start afresh setting new boundaries, expectations etc.

ReputationRep:
        Hi guys,

I'm doing a PGCE at Bath Uni and I've just created a Twitter feed for anyone curious to know just what its like to do a PGCE. I'm full time in a Bristol secondary school and will be posting updates regularly about what's going on and life as a PGCE student, be it fun, stressful, or just anything I think may be useful or appeal to people curious about the PGCE course.

If you're intested, follow TeacherTrainee. There's not much there atm as I set it up just 10 mins ago but I will keep it updated daily.

www.twitter.com/teachertrainee

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Rainy)
        I don't know if I really want to ascribe to that motto but you're so right (as ever!) on the nailing the pecking order stakes. I need to go in with a bit less Jekyll and a lot more Hyde. I'm in full-time and changing up near enough all of my classes after Christmas so it'll be good to start afresh setting new boundaries, expectations etc.
        No, I could never stick with it either, and I like a laugh with my kids, but it's easy when you're ancient and grizzled, less so when you are young. The principle is right, though. I think one of the most difficult things in teaching at the start is the self belief that you have the right to tell them what to do and expect it to be done, because you know inside that you're just a beginner aand feel you know nothing. The thing is, though, that kids smell fear and sense insecurity, and they will zoom in on any cracks in the facade, so it's important not to show any. Being human is fine - any teacher who isn't human shouldn't be in a classroom - but being in charge doesn't mean never showing any warm. It's a kind of calm expectation that they will do the right thing and because of that, they can expect in return that you will teach them without ranting. It's a really tough call at the start, but it's the only sane way to do it, in my experience. good luck with it. Teaching practice is called practice because it's not perfect.
        • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
        Be VERY careful - any indiscretion could result in you being asked to leave your course.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
        It's so true. Like you and Rainy I couldn't not smile, but I also made the mistake of going in too soft with some difficult classes. Took me 2 years to get them back. Then I left the school :ahee:

ReputationRep:
        Thanks for the fair warning, although I should add I'm usually quite good at discretion, I lived as a houseparent's child in a boarding house for 18 years so know the drill. There won't be anything on students, staff, incidents, places names, gossip and similar. It's more a place for my rambling thoughts about school life and the profession.
        • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by gabjam)
        Thanks for the fair warning, although I should add I'm usually quite good at discretion, I lived as a houseparent's child in a boarding house for 18 years so know the drill. There won't be anything on students, staff, incidents, places names, gossip and similar. It's more a place for my rambling thoughts about school life and the profession.
        No problem then. I would remove your name though. Students will search for you.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Mr M)
        No problem then. I would remove your name though. Students will search for you.
        Good shout. Apparently the name was required to sign up for twitter but sure they won't mind if I change it...

ReputationRep:
        I fear disaster is looming... wrote this lesson plan for today a day early for once but looking back not sure its any good! Typical. No idea how to change it either. Its a class I need more control over too, can't do that if I'm pushing them too far!

EDIT: Actually had something resembling a win! Went in angry(ish) and it seemed to work... also restructured my lesson in the free this morning so it was pretty easy for them :P

My year 7s ended up having a load of writing to do because they were being pains... we were learning the numbers from 31-69 and I was trying to make it fun but they weren't playing ball, so they wrote them all out in words instead! That'll teach 'em.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by gabjam)
        Use the hashtag #pgce there are loads of people doing pgce's on twitter.

ReputationRep:
        I appear to be having *that* night- can't think for the life of me what to do with this lesson (even though I already had ideas don't think they're any good) so I'm sitting here and probably will be for at least 2 hours

ReputationRep:
        Today, all the children were doing various assessments in the morning, so there was nothing for me to do in class. I was tasked with taking down a 10 foot long display on France and putting up a new one on the Jolly Postman. Then, in the afternoon, I had my PPA time where I managed to finish my task book by completing 5 in the 2 hour period. So, I spent an entire day in school without really spending any time with the children. And, worst of all, I really enjoyed it. :/

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by affinity89)
        Today, all the children were doing various assessments in the morning, so there was nothing for me to do in class. I was tasked with taking down a 10 foot long display on France and putting up a new one on the Jolly Postman. Then, in the afternoon, I had my PPA time where I managed to finish my task book by completing 5 in the 2 hour period. So, I spent an entire day in school without really spending any time with the children. And, worst of all, I really enjoyed it. :/
        Lol I'm actually quite excited for the strike day for that reason- school is closed to the kids but non-striking members of staff (and me) are expected to go in- so a day of paperwork and planning is actually something I'll be really grateful for!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.