Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How has mental illness affected your life? Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eaasy)
    yeah i drink abit and havent notice any difference (although my rents say otherwise...), its supposed reduce the euphoria of drink and increase the soporific effect anyways.

when did you have your first episode?
    Heh, funny you mentioned that, I generally drink to fall asleep/slow stuff down. Can't say I noticed increased effect now, even off the meds alcohol used to make me sleep.

I dunno if you can call it a first episode but I've been on antipsychotics 4 years, things have been on a pretty constant downwards slope the whole time. Thank **** I finish uni in a month because I couldn't do another year. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Heh, funny you mentioned that, I generally drink to fall asleep/slow stuff down. Can't say I noticed increased effect now, even off the meds alcohol used to make me sleep.

I dunno if you can call it a first episode but I've been on antipsychotics 4 years, things have been on a pretty constant downwards slope the whole time. Thank **** I finish uni in a month because I couldn't do another year. How about you?
    went to uni in september and it all happened in freshers week, doctors reckon i might have been spiked, but i reckon thats ****. probs a combination of alcohol, anxiety, stress and all that which made me go psycho. heading back to uni this september and hopefully things will go better this time!

sounds like you need some time out to get your head together after uni if you dont mind me saying ha, whats the plan after graduating?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eaasy)
    went to uni in september and it all happened in freshers week, doctors reckon i might have been spiked, but i reckon thats ****. probs a combination of alcohol, anxiety, stress and all that which made me go psycho. heading back to uni this september and hopefully things will go better this time!

sounds like you need some time out to get your head together after uni if you dont mind me saying ha, whats the plan after graduating?
    Ah, yeah, freshers week can be pretty damn stressful, I know I always feel a hell of a lot worse when stressed so I think perhaps you're right it could have been the stress and anxiety. Good luck for this year. If you haven't already, it's might be a good idea to tell your uni about stuff, they can help you out then if you feel things slipping or just need someone to talk to or anything like that.

No idea. Probably should have a plan....do not. Might try some low stress part time work and yeah just take some time out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Ah, yeah, freshers week can be pretty damn stressful, I know I always feel a hell of a lot worse when stressed so I think perhaps you're right it could have been the stress and anxiety. Good luck for this year. If you haven't already, it's might be a good idea to tell your uni about stuff, they can help you out then if you feel things slipping or just need someone to talk to or anything like that.

No idea. Probably should have a plan....do not. Might try some low stress part time work and yeah just take some time out.
    soundsound, can you get any extra time in exams or anything remotely helpful, yeah im gna be in touch with the nottingham early intervention team who'll look after me.

have you tried CBT, im sposed to be trying that out sometime, its all about trying to stop us being paranoid about everything etc. Does it work?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eaasy)
    soundsound, can you get any extra time in exams or anything remotely helpful, yeah im gna be in touch with the nottingham early intervention team who'll look after me.

have you tried CBT, im sposed to be trying that out sometime, its all about trying to stop us being paranoid about everything etc. Does it work?
    Yeah you can get extra time and stuff. Like I have exams in a room with only about 10 other people rather than the main room with like 200 to stop from freaking out, which is really useful. Also had a few extensions on essays so I could space them out a bit more so I didn't get too stressed which was again really helpful.

The early intervention team is pretty good (at least the one where I am is), they're good at helping with all different stuff rather than just the one directional kind of help...if that makes sense. Like yeah therapy as well as drugs like you mention.

I found CBT pretty useless tbh, it just seemed like ignoring/misrepresenting the truth to me, but apparently it does really help a lot of people. You have to put in quite a bit of work but I guess if it makes things easier for you it's worth it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eaasy)

I'm having CBT at the moment and whilst it's less helpful for psychotic voices than it is for thought processes, it's still a very useful tool to have onboard. It is unpleasant at times and a lot of work but I've found it very valuable

ReputationRep:
    I have OCD.

It makes me really good at Maths.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is in the western world any kind of odd behavior is considered a mental illness. For example more than 3 quarters of the people who take ADHD medicine shouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I'm having CBT at the moment and whilst it's less helpful for psychotic voices than it is for thought processes, it's still a very useful tool to have onboard. It is unpleasant at times and a lot of work but I've found it very valuable
    What do you mean by work? My mental health worker said i would have to do some homework but what type of work is this?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eaasy)
    What do you mean by work? My mental health worker said i would have to do some homework but what type of work is this?
    When I said "work", I meant you have to put a lot of effort in and it's very draining... at least for me You do sometimes get homework, like keeping a diary of times you get anxious/hear voices/insert symptoms here, etc :yes:

ReputationRep:
    alright cool, im not sure how cbt is going to work for me, as im quite a blunt, logical and straight forward person so interpreting situations differently may be quite difficult. ill give it a go though.

ReputationRep:
    New development in my life: my little brother whacked me the other day,, for 'being weird'

ReputationRep:
    I've suffered from depression and social phobia, along with self harm, for about a year and 9 months- it has ruined pretty much all of my friendships and how I view people, the world, everyday life. I had CBT but only about 8 sessions which is nowhere near enough, my parents thought I was better again and it cost a lot of money so I didn't say anything when I stopped. I was going along quite well until about March time when everything collapsed and I knew I wasn't anywhere near better. The past few weeks have been ok, I'm still cutting but I have things to look forward to so that keeps me going. I have bad days, I have days that are ok and very rarely I get days where I'm happy and I want to live. I know I'll have this for the rest of my life but I can cope with it most of the time now.

ReputationRep:
    Was prescribed anti-depressants on Friday. Still need to pick them up. My feet have been off the ground since Tuesday, so I've just been enjoying this rare good feeling. Haven't slept much. But it's fading, slowly - down, down, down to the crash. I'm still restless. And bored. So much to do, yet nothing - odd. Can't sleep. I don't really know what's wrong with me and neither does my GP by the look of things. "Certainly depression". We'll see where this goes.

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    When I said "work", I meant you have to put a lot of effort in and it's very draining... at least for me You do sometimes get homework, like keeping a diary of times you get anxious/hear voices/insert symptoms here, etc :yes:
    :yep: I found it to be incredibly draining as well, not to mention a little tedious as my concentration's poor. The stuff on thought processes was useful - need to give it another go. Soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vixen23)
    New development in my life: my little brother whacked me the other day,, for 'being weird'
    Why is that negative rated? Its an example of how mental illness influences family member's actions, I thought. !

ReputationRep:
    So far only through these annoying threads...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vixen23)
    Why is that negative rated? Its an example of how mental illness influences family member's actions, I thought. !
    Why did my post receive neg feedback? I was being helpful.

ReputationRep:
    How has mental illness affected my life ... I haven't been able to piece my life together properly since. It's almost as if ever since my head got ****** up things have changed. I don't know how to create a social life I'm content with and I don't know where to find new beginnings. I'm not even unsociable or anything, but just being able to put life together again after a period of solitude/being withdrawn from everything, is difficult.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have intrusive thoughts? and how do you cope with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eaasy)
    does anyone have intrusive thoughts? and how do you cope with it?
    Yeah. They're pretty disturbing. Often they will have a particular trigger, and I must get away/ avoid them or it. If I can't get away, I try with all my consciousness to mask my trembling and blushing and think about something else. I fidget or scribble when it becomes almost unavoidable.

Then there are others which are obsessive mental rumination. They last longer, but produce less physical anxiety usually.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 4, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.