Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgrrl)
    I'm soooo terrified I'll miss the offer too.
    In fact, I might go do some revision now xD
    Same! I really shouldn't be here...

ReputationRep:
    I dreamt I was at freshers week at Oxford. I was so disappointed when I woke up :cry:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soutioirsim)
    I dreamt I was at freshers week at Oxford. I was so disappointed when I woke up :cry:
    What was it like?

ReputationRep:
    Was I there?

EDIT: This comment may have been way too creepy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LtCommanderData)
    What was it like?
    It was good! We were allocated all our rooms and we were just about to go out and celebrate our first day

(Original post by RupertTheBear)
    Was I there?

EDIT: This comment may have been way too creepy
    :p: I didn't recognise anyone in the dream...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAR12)
    Stefan! (It's Jack, History/English at Pembroke).
    I will be making sure that my college has a cat /obsessed
    Hey man!!! :-) This is weird!! How you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mgarta11)
    Ok. Taking a look at some of these offers, one guy got a conditional offer of A*AA for Law at one of the oxford colleges.

I'm getting kinda inspired by some of these offers, but I think I'm being completely misguided in my chances.

Be blunt with me.

GCSES: A*A*AAAABBCCDD
    As Levels: History, Politics, English, Psychology (dropping politics)

Just did exams today, probably having to resit Politics for an A due to lack of revision.

But feel like a fresh start is about to happen and encouraged by history and psychology exams.

I go to a sixth form college in Leeds.

Have I got any chance, at all of getting an offer in the hypothetical situation I do well on LNAT and have a very good personal statement..

Please be blunt.

i got 6As + 5Bs for GCSE and 2A*s and an A at A-level and ended up with an offer - though maybe because i applied post results as I was predicted 3Bs... I'm sure if you ace the next two years and perform well in the entrance paper you'll have a chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freezombie)
    Well, nobody expects you to have seen every place :-) I myself made a short list of favourites before applying based on what I found online (I'm rather sure it included Hertford) and then pretty much chose randomly.

I've only seen two colleges from the inside even now. I would have had time to visit any number of colleges between interviews, but I preferred to stroll around the city centre instead. (when I wasn't hanging around at Mansfield that is)
    Me and a girl I was interviewing at the same college with (for Law) went for a stroll around the city and decided to crash as many JCRs as we could, to compare them all. We hit Worcester (our own), Oriel, Brasenose, Queen's, Univ and another which I can't quite remember. Anyway, we came to the conclusion that Brasenose had the best JCR atmosphere but Queen's had the Harry Potter-esque roaring fire which put it ahead of the others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gasmask)
    All the colleges are equally good! Only Worcester has a lake.

Also... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norrington_Table
    Don't you love how the coat of arms even has the ducks from the lake?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mgarta11)
    Ok. Taking a look at some of these offers, one guy got a conditional offer of A*AA for Law at one of the oxford colleges.

I'm getting kinda inspired by some of these offers, but I think I'm being completely misguided in my chances.

Be blunt with me.

GCSES: A*A*AAAABBCCDD
    As Levels: History, Politics, English, Psychology (dropping politics)

Just did exams today, probably having to resit Politics for an A due to lack of revision.

But feel like a fresh start is about to happen and encouraged by history and psychology exams.

I go to a sixth form college in Leeds.

Have I got any chance, at all of getting an offer in the hypothetical situation I do well on LNAT and have a very good personal statement..

Please be blunt.

DON'T apply to cambridge- they are SUPER obsessed with grades- A*, UMS the lot- whoever said that you have a better shot at Ox with high UMS is misleading you: they don't get to see them at all (cambridge do)!!!! Oxford has no idea whether your A at AS is 80% or 99%. *I would say though, that Politics is probably a more respected subject than psychology (my opinion), and at any rate (arguably) more relevant to law, so maybe try not to drop it until after you've sent off your ucas form. Many colleges (def at cambridge) have got it blacklisted- so if it's your 3rd a level they won't like that.

as for applying to Oxford, you shouldn't get your heart set on it; no one should no matter what their grades and law is one of the most competitive courses- and unfortunately in your case (someone correct me if i'm wrong) i think that half or under of applicants are interviews- one chance fewer to prove yourself.

However, Oxford is not all about the grades and they will take into account:
    -the average gcse pass-rate at your school (so forget it if you go to harrow or something)
    -the quality of the essay you send in (bear this in mind every time you do a homework- it is worth putting in that extra effort as you can't send in coursework)
    -your lnat (this will or won't get you to interview.... and once you're there then it means they think you might be good enough and the grades obstabcle has been surmounted!!!)

good luck

ps- your reference also is a factor but i don't know how strong- not sure how serious unis take them as obviously your teachers what you to get into oxbridge!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yrodrigues)
    DON'T apply to cambridge- they are SUPER obsessed with grades-

A five minute flick through this year's Cambridge applicants' thread would show you that that is complete *******s.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Sorry if that sounded hostile. But it is *******s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yrodrigues)
    DON'T apply to cambridge- they are SUPER obsessed with grades- A*, UMS the lot- whoever said that you have a better shot at Ox with high UMS is misleading you: they don't get to see them at all (cambridge do)!!!! Oxford has no idea whether your A at AS is 80% or 99%. *I would say though, that Politics is probably a more respected subject than psychology (my opinion), and at any rate (arguably) more relevant to law, so maybe try not to drop it until after you've sent off your ucas form. Many colleges (def at cambridge) have got it blacklisted- so if it's your 3rd a level they won't like that.

as for applying to Oxford, you shouldn't get your heart set on it; no one should no matter what their grades and law is one of the most competitive courses- and unfortunately in your case (someone correct me if i'm wrong) i think that half or under of applicants are interviews- one chance fewer to prove yourself.

However, Oxford is not all about the grades and they will take into account:
    -the average gcse pass-rate at your school (so forget it if you go to harrow or something)
    -the quality of the essay you send in (bear this in mind every time you do a homework- it is worth putting in that extra effort as you can't send in coursework)
    -your lnat (this will or won't get you to interview.... and once you're there then it means they think you might be good enough and the grades obstabcle has been surmounted!!!)

good luck

ps- your reference also is a factor but i don't know how strong- not sure how serious unis take them as obviously your teachers what you to get into oxbridge!
    Don't make guesses based on assumptions.
    I mean, you don't even send in essays anymore, the LNAT covers that.
    And I think they care more about potential than anything else.
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    A five minute flick through this year's Cambridge applicants' thread would show you that that is complete *******s.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Sorry if that sounded hostile. But it is *******s
    Probably better to get it out there so people aren't put off by incorrect information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piya21)
    Don't you love how the coat of arms even has the ducks from the lake?
    They're martlets not ducks! (Though probably you were joking.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martlet

And the WCBC old members society are hence called The Martlets

ReputationRep:
    ^^

Please don't feed the troll everybody. Please refrain from neg repping as the poster obviously wants it :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    ha, lolbridge

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've read anything so witty all day. :rolleyes:

...actually I probably haven't, work is boring.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Got to say Cambridge admissions tutors do a good job too.

ReputationRep:
    ^^

Please don't feed the troll everybody. Please refrain from neg repping as the poster obviously wants it :facepalm:
    ...though the Cambridge part could well be true

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer to read chemistry at jesus very excited!!!
    My friend also got in for medicine at Hertford!!! YEY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LRobinson23)
    Got an offer to read chemistry at jesus very excited!!!
    My friend also got in for medicine at Hertford!!! YEY
    Congrats!

At least your friend chose the right college

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.