Psychology Applicants (2012 entry) Watch

quirkyinc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello!

I've received offers from City, Birmingham and Nottingham, but being an international student I'm not entirely sure which of the three I should firm. I've got the basic course information from the uni websites, but I'd like to know how locals think of the unis, and which one of the three would be the best to firm?

Sorry if this isn't the right thread! And thanks so much for your help (:
quirkyinc
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by yaymeg)
someone in my year got a rejection from Bristol last night for psychology, then today got an email apologising, saying they didn't mean to reject her.... did anyone else experience this from bristol? they said they had a 'processing error', so it sounds like it would be quite a few people were affected...
Happened to me too
They apologised for the error but informed me that my application was unsuccessful the day after. Really upsetting :mad:
Maicccccmannnn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by quirkyinc)
Hello!

I've received offers from City, Birmingham and Nottingham, but being an international student I'm not entirely sure which of the three I should firm. I've got the basic course information from the uni websites, but I'd like to know how locals think of the unis, and which one of the three would be the best to firm?

Happened to me too
They apologised for the error but informed me that my application was unsuccessful the day after. Really upsetting :mad:
exactly the same happened to me

Surely if you had made a rejection in error, you would prioritise the concerned application and decide then and there whether you were going to accept or reject it. If you were going to reject it the next day, regardless of the error, why make the person aware of the initial error. DUCY?
catoswyn
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by yaymeg)
just got an interview for the birmingham MSci in psych and psych practice... for the Wednesday 14th February 2011... which never even existed as a date!!!! The 14th LAST year was a monday, and the 14th this year is a tuesday!.... i just sent an email replying asking what they meant... just a tad confused lol =/
Fantastic about the interview, good luck! Maybe the date thing is some sort of test!!!!!
catoswyn
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kelly95)
Hey guys I'm in year 12 so not applying yet but I'm interested in Psychology. I was just wondering if any of you did a week's work experience in something Psychology related last year? I have mine coming up but I'm not sure what to do :/ any ideas would be great!
Hi, you can do things like arrange to shadow someone in a hospital or other NHS field. However universities understand it is difficult to get direct psychology related experience and take this into account. So really anything that you can talk about in your statement relating to work with people that gave you an opportunity to observe and understand them better is good.

Psychology is actually a very broad subject. Its true if you are applying for clinical psychology at places like Exeter or Kent then its best to try for work experience involving some sort of slant on 'illness'. However otherwise its not essential for illness to be the theme. For example you could be a volunteer as an old person visitor with Age Concern, or be involved in a special interest group, or volunteer to be a welfare rep at college or school,

You could do an extended project if your school or college offer it and base it around whatever experience you have managed to get. This then deepens and improves the relevance of the experience and slants it toward Psychology. So for instance if you spent a week with a children's playgroup or nursery then you could do an extended project on child development..... or spend a week with a sport's organisation and do a project on sports psychology.

I suppose I'm saying be inventive if you can't get any direct experience! Good luck.
TitchTheAntiHero
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
ahhh theres a forensic psychology lecture thing in manchester in March that my college is taking us to, eee <3
chelsey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Now have offers from

Southampton: AAB
Royal Holloway: AAB
Sussex: AAB
Reading: Interview

and still waiting to hear from Warwick.

Congratulations to everyone with offers so far and good luck! xD
danielwalsh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kelly95)
Hey guys I'm in year 12 so not applying yet but I'm interested in Psychology. I was just wondering if any of you did a week's work experience in something Psychology related last year? I have mine coming up but I'm not sure what to do :/ any ideas would be great!
I did a week's work experience in psychiatric wing for mothers and babies
DeelyBopper
Badges: 16
Report 7 years ago
waaaa got an offer from York! which is a major YAY as i thought I'd get rejected...but now i don't know what to choose!!! i ruled york out because i thought id get rejected and now not only did they give me an offer but an offer the same as Sheff and RHUL, which means i have ANOTHER uni to add to my 'waa how do i choose between these lovely unis' pile!

Which do i choose!!?!
cfp27
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DeelyBopper)
waaaa got an offer from York! which is a major YAY as i thought I'd get rejected...but now i don't know what to choose!!! i ruled york out because i thought id get rejected and now not only did they give me an offer but an offer the same as Sheff and RHUL, which means i have ANOTHER uni to add to my 'waa how do i choose between these lovely unis' pile!

Which do i choose!!?!
I'm the same as you! Notts sheff and York all gave me AAB offers I was expecting York to be AAA. No idea what to choose ill have to visit them all again. I never visited Sheffield in the first place though it was a last minute thing :P
rose.3445
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DeelyBopper)

Which do i choose!!?!
I would choose York because it is the best university out of the ones you have, and its a really nice place!
Tay594
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got rejected from Nottingham A huge blow to my confidence!
Now all I can think is "if Nottingham don't want you then York and Sheffield definitely won't!"

I want York so bad but I just know I have no chance now. My predicted grades are only AAB. I knew I should have got them changed to AAA -.- I don't stand a chance.

Congratulations to all of the people who have their York offers and all other offers too!
xcatherinex
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Uni: Bath
Course: Psychology with year placement
Offer: A*AA
Predicted: (A*A*A*)
catoswyn
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tay594)
I got rejected from Nottingham A huge blow to my confidence!
Now all I can think is &quot;if Nottingham don't want you then York and Sheffield definitely won't!&quot;

I want York so bad but I just know I have no chance now. My predicted grades are only AAB. I knew I should have got them changed to AAA -.- I don't stand a chance.

Congratulations to all of the people who have their York offers and all other offers too!
so sorry about Nottingham. Maybe the others WILL make offers... even York! Don't despair yet..
Boo_x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey guys good luck with your applications
I'm a third year psychology student and wish i was back at the stage you all are. I know it's a bit cheeky but to those of you in college/sixth form do you mind filling in the survey in my signature?
I'm so close to reaching my target of 100 participants overall but I appear to be stuck at 88 for a week or so now
catoswyn
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello!

Birmingham is a Russell Group university so is thought of very highly. Congratulations on all your offers!
safa yusuf
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i think you should go birmingham its an amazing uni and the city is beautiful. I use to live there and i think its amazing. likewise, Nottingham is also a russel group and its a really good uni.. but it depends on which one is better for your course.

congratz on your offers and good luck with deciding which to firm x
rose.3445
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Boo_x)
Hey guys good luck with your applications
I'm a third year psychology student and wish i was back at the stage you all are. I know it's a bit cheeky but to those of you in college/sixth form do you mind filling in the survey in my signature?
I'm so close to reaching my target of 100 participants overall but I appear to be stuck at 88 for a week or so now
where do you find the survey?
Boo_x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rose.3445)
where do you find the survey?
Here It should be in my sig but it may not be appearing for everyone.
I only need 9 more now

If anyone does have questions about psychology in general feel free to ask me.
catoswyn
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Boo_x)
Here It should be in my sig but it may not be appearing for everyone.
I only need 9 more now

If anyone does have questions about psychology in general feel free to ask me.
Hi, did your survey and discovered I'm in a dreadful state! (only joking.....self-defeating humour eh!) Anyway, very interesting. Do you publish the results overall as it would be nice to hear what the conclusions were.

My son is thinking of firming the Exeter clinical psychology course he has an offer for. It does sound a brilliant course and he's really keen on it. My only small and nagging doubt is whether it is too early to have plumbed for an applied direction in psychology. He does seem very clear and certain though that it is what he wants. Its just some psychology students said that they all thought they'd want to do clinical but had changed their minds while studying. What do you think as someone who has already been through a degree?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (125)
39.56%
No - but I will (17)
5.38%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.33%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (154)
48.73%

Watched Threads