Turn on thread page Beta

Trinity College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've read on here about people with v.good grades not even being invited for interview at Trinity, not to mention some of the unreasonable offers they seem to make.

Also its no secret they are the richest Cambridge college, and they have always been at or near the top of the Tompkins table.

So the burning question is, do you think Trinity is elitist among the other Cambridge colleges?

ReputationRep:
    Surely if you think you are elitist... you are?

ReputationRep:
    May be due to the type of people who apply there as opposed to the people they pick i.e higher quality of competition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dd4483)
    I've read on here about people with v.good grades not even being invited for interview at Trinity, not to mention some of the unreasonable offers they seem to make.

Also its no secret they are the richest Cambridge college, and they have always been at or near the top of the Tompkins table.

So the burning question is, do you think Trinity is elitist among the other Cambridge colleges? Or do they just like to think they are?
    I applied to trinity for maths and got pooled but unfortunately not accepted elsewhere. When i went there i did not get the impression from talking to current students that they were elitist. The people i met were all very nice and down to earth but naturally very smart. I think they take it very seriously there and provide alot of support. They have different interviews on the most part i think but each college has the choice of how to conduct an interview to get the candidates that they want. I found that they focused on academics almost solely. This does not always mean great scores in exams, more a deeper understanding of the subject and a natural ability that you can demonstrate at interview (afterall some people are just bad at exams). From what i understand they interview 90% of applicants and if you are predicted the standard offer then they should interview you. Also they don't care about your personal statement so don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    I honestly would not call Trinity elitist at all

ReputationRep:
    Maybe but the grounds there are :coma:
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    As far as reputation goes it's fairly elitist, but the actual students aren't at all. It's a rich and well-performing college... but I don't think it'd be fair to tar it as elitist because of that. That said, it's a bit weird that the only people that they let do postgrad there are people from other unis and people who have never been members of any other Cambridge colleges (i.e. if you're at Cambridge, you need to be in Trinity to be able to go to Trinity for postgrad).

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's known for being the most aristocratic of the Cambridge colleges, and has garnered a particular reputation for it's mathematics department and faculty, primarily due to historical figures that read maths there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    As far as reputation goes it's fairly elitist, but the actual students aren't at all. It's a rich and well-performing college... but I don't think it'd be fair to tar it as elitist because of that. That said, it's a bit weird that the only people that they let do postgrad there are people from other unis and people who have never been members of any other Cambridge colleges (i.e. if you're at Cambridge, you need to be in Trinity to be able to go to Trinity for postgrad).
    I'm not sure if this is true in general, but one of my supervisors is doing a PhD at Trinity, but did undergrad at Peterhouse.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by ForGreatJustice)
    I'm not sure if this is true in general, but one of my supervisors is doing a PhD at Trinity, but did undergrad at Peterhouse.
    Source is here -- they say they give various studentships but these are few in number.
    It is the College's practice not to accept applications from students who have matriculated at another College in Cambridge or who hold an offer from another College in Cambridge, except via particular Trinity graduate studentships.
    So there will be exceptions. I suppose the point is that it's a lot more inaccessible than all the other colleges.

ReputationRep:
    Has any freshers going into Trinity received the form from the people dealing with the college parents yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hohohoho)
    Has any freshers going into Trinity received the form from the people dealing with the college parents yet?
    You should be getting it soon with an information pack. Its due in for the 1st september and you will then hear from your college parents in week or 2 preceeding that

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I have an offer at Trinity College, though we're yet to hear about our final accommodation arrangements.

I was wondering if it's alright to bring a desktop computer (either a tower-based PC with monitor or an iMac) into my room and safely keep it there all term?

Is it done, or is anything besides a laptop considered very weird lol? :o:

I will be bringing an old laptop which can handle simple word-processing and note-taking too, by the way, as I know laptops are very handy.

Thanks.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I don't suppose Trinity will be any different from any other college in this -- it's alright to bring one. A few people (although not many) do, but most don't because they're pretty inconvenient.

ReputationRep:
    I don't suppose Trinity will be any different from any other college in this -- it's alright to bring one. A few people (although not many) do, but most don't because they're pretty inconvenient.
    Thanks for the reply.

I suppose iMacs are the lesser of the inconvenient desktop computers to bring, being just 1 'unit' and all. :erm:

Thanks again. I'll sit and think now...

ReputationRep:
    I disagree, I think OP strategy of an old laptop + a proper desktop is maximum productivity.
    Those who just have a laptop always have to worry about charging, backpain from a small monitor, bad mice, reduced keyboard layout and so on.

Edit: and desktops are harder to steal than a laptop!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Uzi2491)
    Thanks for the reply.

I suppose iMacs are the lesser of the inconvenient desktop computers to bring, being just 1 'unit' and all. :erm:

Thanks again. I'll sit and think now...
    It'll be fine, provided that you won't be tempted to sit in your room on your computer all day (at least you can take a laptop elsewhere) and that your room has enough space in it that a PC won't be inconvenient (e.g. if you have a small desk but need desk space to write stuff by hand).

Frankly it might be worth investing in a new laptop -- even a bog-standard £250 one would be enough if you can spare the cash.

(Original post by Slick 'n' Shady)
    I disagree, I think OP strategy of an old laptop + a proper desktop is maximum productivity.
    Those who just have a laptop always have to worry about charging, backpain from a small monitor, bad mice, reduced keyboard layout and so on.
    Most colleges have computer rooms with desktop PCs if they're really needed; and to be honest I've never had any problems with any of the things you mentioned (except the mouse, but I've got a USB mouse so that problem's solved).

Come on :p: The only things that get stolen in Cambridge are bikes and social lives.

ReputationRep:

Cheers.

I mean I'm sure only having a laptop is OK, it seems to suffice for the vast majority of students. But my idea of a proper desktop and a standard laptop seemed good in my head; just needed to check that TSR approved. :p:

It'll be fine, provided that you won't be tempted to sit in your room on your computer all day (at least you can take a laptop elsewhere) and that your room has enough space in it that a PC won't be inconvenient (e.g. if you have a small desk but need desk space to write stuff by hand).
    Hmm yeah. But tbh, iMacs take up the same amount of room on a desk as a flat-screen monitor alone, so on a desk with a keyboard and mouse, it'll be as space-consuming as a typical 15 inch laptop.

But yeah I'll be sure not to sit in my room all day!

Frankly it might be worth investing in a new laptop -- even a bog-standard £250 one would be enough if you can spare the cash.
    True. Especially now how you can get a slim, light model with Windows 7 for around £250. :yy: I saw an amazing MSI budget laptop for £310 which seemed very good value - though the cost is certainly spiralling lol.

ReputationRep:
    Loads of people had desktops when I started - this was a while ago so they were cheaper and laptops more expensive. If you wanted to bring one, it would still be perfectly doable though. I would advise a flatscreen, as you may not get loads of deskspace.

Come on :p: The only things that get stolen in Cambridge are bikes and social lives.
    LOL

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.