Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Where is the President? Where is the President of the United States?

Obama's busy talking guns as if everything is hunky dory, whilst leaving it to Chuck Hagel to handle things. Maybe they're not too worried? Although Hagel did say today that the military is prepared for the worst case scenario.

Lastly, an interesting story:

There was a book in the 1950s (the mouse that roared) where a tiny nation decided to attack the United States with a tiny "army", expecting that after they surrendered, their economy would prosper by the US providing food and rebuilding their nation.

It isn't too far-fetched to wonder if North Korea has a similar plan. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    This escaped notice thanks to NK... Pakistan test fires nuclear capable missile that could hit deep within India

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    It can clearly be seen that Kim is now under pressure at home
    Can it? How? NK media would never put out a dissenting opinion, it wouldn't be allowed to. No Government official would say anything other than he's a demiGod and nobody else is allowed a public opinion. So how the hell do you come to that conclusion?

ReputationRep:
    I know. I read that early this morning and just shrugged it off LOL - clearly it was important.

My shrugging off of important pieces of news is like a film trailer that shows the buildup to a massive conflict (of course, I know that's just dramatic and I doubt any massive conflict will happen this year) - but we have for example, Russian exercises irking their former USSR republic neighbours, Chinese war games, Iran restarting enrichment, Pakistan missile tests, North Korean threats and missile prep and...a stronger strain of bird flu LOL :ahee:

I'm sure everything will be fine - recent history shows such. Situations will be contained - this isn't 1935 or something and humans naturally have the will to survive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Can it? How? NK media would never put out a dissenting opinion, it wouldn't be allowed to. No Government official would say anything other than he's a demiGod and nobody else is allowed a public opinion. So how the hell do you come to that conclusion?
    Maybe not "clearly" per se, but I am going on the word of US and SK analysts who cite various occurrences which imply such things - such as Kim's aunt and uncle possibly pulling the strings and possible conflict with high-ranking army officers (this is particularly implied due to several demotions and then subsequent promotions and "deaths" etc).

Nevertheless, even so, Kim will still need to do *something* because he needs to cement his authority - he cannot appear weak to high-ranking officials and the people at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    The thing is, the country is so secretive that you are always going on incomplete information. A few commentaries I've read seem to take it as a given that regime preservation is one of the fundamental goals. That makes sense, but it gets me thinking what the purpose of the North Korean regime's existence is, and I think you need to strip the country bare to answer that. All it seems you can really say is that they appear to be trying to force the US and South Korea into one-sided negotiations, but given the severity of the threats, what could they be hoping to extract this time around? I definitely don't think this is the real deal at any rate. They have absolutely nothing to gain from open warfare and everything to lose.
    It's all about money, they need another source of money, that will make them less reliant on China, which is currently the only thing between NK and the abyss. The US is an ideal target for such negotiations, along with SK as these powers don't want to engage in any conflict with NK, buying peace is obviously cheaper than waging war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CEKTOP)
    It's all about money, they need another source of money, that will make them less reliant on China, which is currently the only thing between NK and the abyss. The US is an ideal target for such negotiations, along with SK as these powers don't want to engage in any conflict with NK and buying peace is cheaper than waging war.
    Paying to ward off NK aggression would not sit well with American voters. Fox News would probably spin the story and start some hate campaign on Obama if they ever found out of such a thing.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe not "clearly" per se, but I am going on the word of US and SK analysts who cite various occurrences which imply such things - such as Kim's aunt and uncle possibly pulling the strings and possible conflict with high-ranking army officers (this is particularly implied due to several demotions and then subsequent promotions and "deaths" etc).

Nevertheless, even so, Kim will still need to do *something* because he needs to cement his authority - he cannot appear weak to high-ranking officials and the people at home.
    I'm pretty sure that after "obliterating" an Army officer with an execution by mortar that he's not going to be facing any dissent... North Korean army minister executed with mortar round

ReputationRep:
    Where is the President? Where is the President of the United States?

Obama's busy talking guns as if everything is hunky dory, whilst leaving it to Chuck Hagel to handle things. Maybe they're not too worried? Although Hagel did say today that the military is prepared for the worst case scenario.

Lastly, an interesting story:

There was a book in the 1950s (the mouse that roared) where a tiny nation decided to attack the United States with a tiny "army", expecting that after they surrendered, their economy would prosper by the US providing food and rebuilding their nation.

It isn't too far-fetched to wonder if North Korea has a similar plan. :lol:
    Last time NK declared war on America was in 2009, nothing happened. This time around nothing is going to happen, it's just empty rhetoric, just another attempt to extract some money out of the first world by pretending to be an oh-so-very-dangerous thermonuclear superpower.
    Obama has more important things to do.
    Even if a minor confrontation along the border erupts it is infinitely unlikely to escalate into something bigger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CEKTOP)
    It's all about money, they need another source of money, that will make them less reliant on China, which is currently the only thing between NK and the abyss. The US is an ideal target for such negotiations, along with SK as these powers don't want to engage in any conflict with NK, buying peace is obviously cheaper than waging war.
    The problem with that is the fact the N.Korea are a volatile nation with a regime that is out of touch with the rest of the world. Subsequently, the US want rid. I can hardly see them or their voters being able to stomach giving hand outs that will prop up the Kim dynasty for any longer.

ReputationRep:
    Why did USA send a missile to North Korea and back? To provoke anger/anxiety/fear? Keep in mind USA and South Korea get along. It's slightly off topic however I'd like to think USA plays a big part in North Korea's current actions with some weird game going on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CemCakantemur)
    Why did USA send a missile to North Korea and back? To provoke anger/anxiety/fear? Keep in mind USA and South Korea get along. It's slightly off topic however I'd like to think USA plays a big part in North Korea's current actions with some weird game going on.
    :lolwut:

What missile?

ReputationRep:
    Well every news outlet says a missile firing (whether a test or not) is imminent - even the United State Defence Secretary Chuch Hagel says that NK is dangerously close to the "dangerous line".

Bear in mind that it's late morning/early afternoon in NK...

Whilst North Korea have launched various missiles in the past, it has at least been with advance notice. Right now, they have given no notice, especially as they normally do to warn aircraft and whatnot.

ReputationRep:
    It can clearly be seen that Kim is now under pressure at home to actually make it look like he can follow upon his threats, thereby solidifying his authority and consolidating his power.

In the past, we have seen such rhetoric as we see now culminating in a light attack (for example, sinking a sub or shelling an island) and the consequences have been tutting from the international community (and SK!) and "sanctions".

Therefore, if North Korea decides to do as it has done in the past and shell an island or something, will SK and the US simply tut as they have done so before and run off to the UN to demand "sanctions"?

Or will enough really be enough this time?

Similarly, we can surely expect little response but tutting and shaking of heads if NK decides to go ahead with missile/nuclear tests that are said by US officials to be *imminent*? (Of course there is the issue of whether it will be shot down should it pass over any foreign territory like Japan.)
    If NK even does something as small as "shelling an island or something", America's going to react with something like lets nuke NK to dust

ReputationRep:
    In different news, the US is going to cut down its budget on the army. This includes that 1/3 of its planes are going to be taken out of service - NK might help doing that

ReputationRep:
    So North Korea have declared that they plan on invading Japan.

I personally wish them the best of luck with storming Takeshi's Castle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikkoch)
    If NK even does something as small as "shelling an island or something", America's going to react with something like lets nuke NK to dust
    That's clearly preposterous. If NK were to shell an island, the response would not be a nuclear attack - talk about disproportional. Even if NK were to nuke Japan or something, it is now doubtful - as shocking as that might seem - whether the United States would respond with a nuke, especially considering the close proximity of China, Russia and US ally South Korea.

Whilst people say that, sure, the US would fire a nuke at NK should NK fire a nuke, the close proximity of other nations would have to be considered. In other words, would the United States fire a nuke at NK with South Korea in such close proximity. (Of course, things change if NK fires a nuke at SK - then the decision would be 'easier' because "the damage would have already been done", as it were.)

(Original post by J.Nalbandian14)
    So North Korea have declared that they plan on invading Japan.

I personally wish them the best of luck with storming Takeshi's Castle.
    Source? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    I seriously hope something is done about North Korea, military wise. Saying you will nuke someone is no laughing matter regardless of if you mean it or not. I hope he's assassinated by a SEAL team although the chance of it happening is slim.
    What's the betting that China have guaranteed the personal safety of Kim and his miserable family? That they have secure offers of a place in China if the whole thing collapses or is invaded/destroyed? It's easy to picture a Chinese military plane on permanent standby on a runway near the presidential palace or that rather nice golf course/spa where they spend most of their time when not running around military bases threatening people.

ReputationRep:
    There are many more ways to retaliate than with a nuke, cruise missiles for example. Nuclear missiles can be made to a very small yeild now 1 or 2 kb to destroy very specific targets.

I think a retaliation would be something like blowing up th Yongbyon complex or however it is spelt.

ReputationRep:
    More rhetoric? Your thoughts?

http://rt.com/news/north-korea-rocket-launch-663/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.