The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DJMayes
From what I gather there's one person looking at full UMS in my year. I haven't properly looked at the paper though so I can't really comment on it.

Yeah, there is me and another looking at it, but mine is mainly due to the special consideration I'll be getting for a fire alarm going off during the actual exam, if I didn't have that extra bit I'd probably say I'd get 72-73/75 really and Arsey posted his solutions with the questions on it too, so maybe you could check them out from that?
Original post by MathsNerd1
Yeah, there is me and another looking at it, but mine is mainly due to the special consideration I'll be getting for a fire alarm going off during the actual exam, if I didn't have that extra bit I'd probably say I'd get 72-73/75 really and Arsey posted his solutions with the questions on it too, so maybe you could check them out from that?

I've seen the paper and flicked through it, I just haven't sat down and had a go at it.

I need to get someone to set off the fire alarm during FP3, if you can really get extra marks through special consideration like that :colone:
Original post by justinawe
That's typical, to be honest. People always think the real thing was harder than the past papers, but generally the only reason for this is because they weren't under the same kind of pressure when doing the past papers.

Yh but someone even suggested that it was on par with Jan 09 which was 63 for 100 :eyeball:. I think that's pushing it!
Reply 604
How is everyone feeling about S1 (AQA) on Friday?
I've been through all the papers twice, don't know what else to do? I just want to get it over and done with now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 605
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Yh but someone even suggested that it was on par with Jan 09 which was 63 for 100 :eyeball:. I think that's pushing it!

A few people have said that, but I didn't think it was nearly that bad - I agree, the moments question might've caught a fair number out, and maybe the last part of the vectors one was slightly different to normal, but aside from that it really wasn't bad at all! I found Jan 09 far harder than the paper I sat yesterday. But that could just be me, I don't know :smile:
Reply 606

I find everything apart from the exerted on the pulley of Jan2009 simple, this paper however was different, suvat I interpreted it wrong and I should've practiced lift questions rather than doing past papers/solomon papers all the time. Moments took a lot of experimentation, I thought this one was generally harder
Original post by DJMayes
I've seen the paper and flicked through it, I just haven't sat down and had a go at it.

Oh okay then, just thought you hadn't seen the questions and on a first glance would you have said it was a slightly different exam compared to the rest?
Sooo, for those who have seen the C1 and M1 papers from yesterday, if I got 48 marks on C1 and 25 on M1 how many marks do you roughly think I'd need to bag on C2 next Friday to get a C?
I need to get someone to set off the fire alarm during FP3, if you can really get extra marks through special consideration like that :colone:

I could do with the same in STEP if that's even possible :colone:

Just joking really but it did put me off a little bit and I had to get back into my rhythm which took some time too, its just nice to know I won't be penalised for it and the student that set it off has been excluded for an entire week!
Reply 610
Original post by KasabianChief
Sooo, for those who have seen the C1 and M1 papers from yesterday, if I got 48 marks on C1 and 25 on M1 how many marks do you roughly think I'd need to bag on C2 next Friday to get a C?

60+60+60=180 for the C grade in AS level, you will need to bag 107 points (If those marks you speak of are ums).... you will need to resit one of them if it comes back like that.

At least I think that's how the boundaries are worked out. If those are raw marks, your ums may be higher for both
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Robbie242
I find everything apart from the exerted on the pulley of Jan2009 simple, this paper however was different, suvat I interpreted it wrong and I should've practiced lift questions rather than doing past papers/solomon papers all the time. Moments took a lot of experimentation, I thought this one was generally harder

I found for the moments question I only needed to take moments about P and Q to get some equations where I could substitute one into another to get my first answer and then sub that in to get 2nd part of the answer, I never really drew a diagram again though as I just scribbled all over the one provided :tongue:
That's typical, to be honest. People always think the real thing was harder than the past papers, but generally the only reason for this is because they weren't under the same kind of pressure when doing the past papers.

Yes I think you're partly right but when in the past papers in M1 did we have to solve simultaneous equations in a moment problem?
Reply 613
I found for the moments question I only needed to take moments about P and Q to get some equations where I could substitute one into another to get my first answer and then sub that in to get 2nd part of the answer, I never really drew a diagram again though as I just scribbled all over the one provided :tongue:

I drew one diagram and tried to visualise it being on B in my head (after drawing the child at A), maybe not the best route but it worked for me. Moments was quite fun though overall, really pushed me to my limits in terms of moments, hoping for 62 to be an A (given that I may have no ECF's available)
(edited 10 years ago)
Oh okay then, just thought you hadn't seen the questions and on a first glance would you have said it was a slightly different exam compared to the rest?

Well, my first glance will probably get me shot but from a very brief once-over it looked reasonably standard. The moments question looked interesting but not conceptually difficult. I appreciate that lift questions aren't well received but it would be difficult for a nicer lift question to have come up. Force exerted on a pulley is another topic people hate but again as far as those kinds of questions go it looked nice. I wouldn't like to say how difficult the paper is overall but if pushed I would say it looked like a paper with straightforward questions on less than straightforward topics.
Original post by Zaphod77
A few people have said that, but I didn't think it was nearly that bad - I agree, the moments question might've caught a fair number out, and maybe the last part of the vectors one was slightly different to normal, but aside from that it really wasn't bad at all! I found Jan 09 far harder than the paper I sat yesterday. But that could just be me, I don't know :smile:

Jan 2009 was a good prep to this paper, as Jan 09 had force at pulley, similar lift-type of question, and a harder parallel vectors question. Maybe exam pressure might of made it seem worse than it was? Moments was a killer, but I think similar but as Arsey showed me similar types have come up before in 2001.
I drew one diagram and tried to visualise it being on B in my head (after drawing the child at A), maybe not the best route but it worked for me. Moments was quite fun though overall, really pushed me to my limits in terms of moments, hoping for 62 to be an A (given that I may have no ECF's available)

That's exactly what I did, just scribbled away for part A then visulised at B and rescribbled on the same diagram for the last part as I'm pretty darn lazy :tongue:
Reply 617
I'm not sure how to work out the range and domain for C3 :frown:
All i know is the domain is input value and range is output but i'm not sure how to work them out
can someone please help?
e.g. how do you work out the domain and range for y=ex+12y = e^x+\frac{1}{2} Thank you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 618
Jan 2009 was a good prep to this paper, as Jan 09 had force at pulley, similar lift-type of question, and a harder parallel vectors question. Maybe exam pressure might of made it seem worse than it was? Moments was a killer, but I think similar but as Arsey showed me similar types have come up before in 2001.

And that was my main problem, I stuck to 2008 on wards, so I didn't have time to experience those earlier papers and familiarise myself with them. The lift question wasn't hard, I just interpreted it wrong and used the lifts components instead as for suvat instead of reaching an equation and finding a value of t then subtracting 10, I tried to put it into the equation and its just all misinterpreted really.
I would like to say this on par with Jan 2013, if I sat jan 13 I would've got the vectors part c) wrong and the last part of the resolving question on the paper. So I'd expect due to the overwhelming amount of marks for moments 63/75 for an A?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by DJMayes
Well, my first glance will probably get me shot but from a very brief once-over it looked reasonably standard. The moments question looked interesting but not conceptually difficult. I appreciate that lift questions aren't well received but it would be difficult for a nicer lift question to have come up. Force exerted on a pulley is another topic people hate but again as far as those kinds of questions go it looked nice. I wouldn't like to say how difficult the paper is overall but if pushed I would say it looked like a paper with straightforward questions on less than straightforward topics.

Yeah that's how I felt as I was going through each question as I thought with enough thought about the question the answer should come out reasonably quickly but then I got out of the exam to find everyone not agreeing about how I felt.

To be honest I probably found it quite nice as I covered those topics before going into it so was already prepared for them and knew that they wouldn't throw me off, instead its just the basica formulas I forget -.-

Latest

Trending

Trending